Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-lectrified!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re-lectrified!

The only Dropkick Murphys I know is Rose Tattoo. I learned the mandolin part. I hadn't thought of electric mandolin on it though. Hmmmmm.
    Indulge responsibly!

The entire staff
    funny....

I think you could tackle any of the angry Irish (ish) bands. Pouges is another that comes to mind. Irish Rover maybe don’t forget to add a bit of pogoing whilst playing ��

Cambridge Mandolinist Daniel Nestlerode's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I took the JBovier in for a proper set up by Jamie Swanell in Cambridge. Nut slots, bridge adjustment, intonation. He did a brilliant job. He turned a slightly frustrating little beastie into a proper instrument.

I used it in a recording session on Sunday (28 Jan). Ran it into the desk through a Boss tremolo unit. Lovely big 5 string chords Dm, Bb, C, and F.

Another reason to record e-mando: ya get the comfy chair in the control room rather than the drum throne in the studio.

Might need to resurrect the emando blog.

Daniel

4. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

<spam - account removed>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jul-09-2018 at 8:15am. Reason: spam

Blog Entries

Ahh, I see we have been infiltrated by a spammer. No matter, it gives me the opportunity to update things.

I have continued the recording process and have been leaning ever more frequently on my EMC-5. We have run it through the desk, as above, and more recently have run it through a 70s Fender Champ.

I have never been fond of the stock pick-ups in this instrument, they have always been too smooth Like a Les Paul that never quite overdrives the amp. But recently I have tried some different amps/amplifying electronics. The Fender Champ is nice. I have made use of a stomp box I bought a while ago but have failed to use well, an origin effects SlideRig. Finally I have got myself a Vox AC-30 headphone amp.

I need to stop using the Boss pedal board. The power unit is too weak. I lose top end when more than one box is plugged into it. Makes it all a bit eh.

The SlideRig is brilliant. Think of Lowell George's sound and you've got it. It's a pair of preamp/compression units that work as a pair.

The Vox headphone amp is a revelation! I love the tone I am getting. (yeah OK the effects it carries are rubbish, but who cares!) I spend hours into the night with my 5 string in my lap and my ear buds in. This little thing gives a bit more bite than the Fender. I'm hearing a bit of Keith Richards's McCawber Tele.

I've recorded 5 songs for a new CD and this EMC-5 is on 4 of them. Mixing and mastering may be a bit difficult unless I get some of it on that 5th one!

So how do I square this new obsession with the fact that I am booked as a folkie? All I am saying right now is G5, and I'll keep you posted.

Daniel

7. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post

After a while I started playing the Star Spangled Banner and then followed with God Save the Queen/America the Beautiful (same tune different words)....
    Are you confusing "My Country Tis of Thee"("America") with "America the Beautiful"?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” ≠ “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Are you confusing "My Country Tis of Thee"("America") with "America the Beautiful"?
    Yes, I was!

To kill three birds with one stone; (first back to your original post), I took my '72 Champ to get it looked over and serviced a year or so ago as I hadn't used it in years and the tech threw his hannds up in horror when he discovered it was a US version designed to run on 115 volts. He then discovered that somebody had changed the transformer - before I bought it back in the 70s. I suspect that the modification has done something else as I can't believe that the sound I get is only 5 Watts.

I originally got the thing out again when I bought an electric guitar. Crank that up half way and it didn't distort it just sounded as though the speaker cone was ripped. I've since replaced the speaker with one from Watford Valves and it's now fine - just loud!

Second, I've just put all my pedals onto one new board and these are being driven by a Voodo Labs power supply and they're fine.

Finally, as I've said elsewhere, I've just bought an Almuse pickup for my Mandostrat - the original just didn't cut it with the Champ. I found a spare half hour to fit it last week and it already sounds better than the original although I havn't tried it straight into the Champ as yet or even had chance to adjust the pole pieces - I think a new set of strings are called for first!

11. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post: