Thread: The Loar LM-220-VS vs. The Loar LM-500-VS

Default The Loar LM-220-VS vs. The Loar LM-500-VS

Hello,
    I'm a guitar player and searching for a solid mandolin for beginners.

I found The Loar LM-220-VS (A-Style) and The Loar LM-500-VS (F-Style).

In my opinion the 500 sounds more mellow or have a warmer sound than the 220. Unfortunately I am limited in my mobility, therefore I'm just able to compare with audio samples via the internet.

Wich one is more impressing in the quality of the workmanship? Which one sounds better (I know that is a rather subjective opinion...but I would appreciate yours).

Or are there any better mandoline on the market in this price range (400-500 EUR)?

Thank you in advance.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: The Loar LM-220-VS vs. The Loar LM-500-VS

I have a (The) Loar LM 170 that I use as a backup and camper. It's a fine little mando. However, it did require some work to get it set up. Now it plays easy and sounds sweet.

I have not played the LM 220 or LM. The big difference I'm seeing (other than shape) is the the 220 is all solid and hand carved. This is desired by some.

Other brands (in your price range) that I like, the sound and quality, are Eastman, Breedlove and Kentucky. All of which have fine models for under $500 (not sure of EUR conversion right now).

Greetings and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I have not played the LM 220 or LM. The big difference I'm seeing (other than shape) is the the 220 is all solid and hand carved. This is desired by some.
    I used to own a LM-500 and they are all solid/carved as well. It is in a higher trim level than the 220 so will have more 'bling' (e.g. triple binding, headstock inlay, maybe more flame on the back, etc) but won't necessarily sound much better. The brand can be hit or miss and a good setup is an absolute must since some come from the factory almost unplayable.

If a F-style is a must-have and you've only got $/€500 to spend, any of The Loar models are going to be the best for the price. Higher quality instruments can be had for the same cost, but they are all going to be A models. The brands mentioned by Zach are a good choice.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I have an LM-220 that I bought from Thomann here in Germany. I don't know wether they did a setup. but it played OK from the start.
    Here is how the sound compares to the sound of my Breedlove FF:
    The Breedlove might sound a little smoother and The Loar a little rougher...

I have a LM-220. It's a good mandolin. Perfect? No. But it's an excellent beginner instrument. Haven't played the 500, so no comment. There is also a 520 which appears to be the F equivalent of the 220.

That said, if the budget can be stretched, would vote for the Eastman 305. I've been very impressed by all the Eastman models I have tried.

That said, the Loar is no slouch and should serve you well.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    I used to own a LM-500 and they are all solid/carved as well.
    Whoops! Thanks for the info and sorry for the confusion. I must have missed that while reading the specs online.

Thank you so much for your helpful responses. This informations are really going to help me make a proper decision.
    You're awesome folks.
    I will check out the other brands mentioned as well.
    A F-Style Model is really not my goal, I just really wanted to know...if LM are a good choice and if there is any significant difference between 220 and 500 (other than shape).
    Thanks again.

Greetings have a nice day!