Thread: Support group for my MAS

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Support group for my MAS

So, I have a bad case of MAS right now and I am in need of advice and encouragement.

I have some cash saved and my Christmas bonus is right around the corner. I am looking to upgrade my backup and then my current backup can become the "camper/junker".

Here's where I need advice. I live south of Seattle and plan to go to Wintergrass (My first). Should I wait to buy until then? Do a lot of vendors bring mandolins to play test/buy? When should I buy my Wintergrass tickets? Will vendors be around on Friday (the day I'm hoping to go?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Support group for my MAS

Here is the Wintergrass website where you can get info and order tickets: http://wintergrass.com

In regards to buying an instrument there ... with the available offerings, you won't get much of a deal. It's a good place to "taste", so to speak. Greg Boyd usually has a room there and usually has a few mandolins on offer. I would either check out Dusty Strings in Seattle for some hands on mandolin and/or keep an eye on the classifieds here.

Edit: Sorry, I totally forgot about the "Luthiers Room" that usually has mandolins made by some great builders ~ Austin Clark, Jayson Bowerman, Andrew Mowry and a couple others. Some great mandolins usually in that room and you can chat with the builder at the same time.

Good luck on your search
    John
    Last edited by Denman John; Nov-29-2017 at 10:03pm.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

If you can hold out until late March, you might get a better used mandolin that some poor soul needs to unload in a hurry in order to pay Uncle Sam. I hate to capitalize on someone's misfortune, but they will need the money and it is a good time to be a buyer. Plus, it will give you 3-4 months to play as many mandolins as you can so you can decide what to keep your eyes open for.

Are you looking for an "A" or "F" style, or one of each? I am here to feed your MAS as much as possible! What price range are you looking for and are you looking for new or used, the better choice?

Thank you for your replies and advice. I'll probably check out the Mandolins at Wintergrass before buying. It's just hard to wait when there is money burning a hole in my pocket.

Dusty Strings! I love that shop. They had a few I liked last time I was in.

I'm looking for an Oval A or F shape. Something different and possibly vintage to play folk music on.

I would keep an eye on the market to get to know prices. Do research, play as many as you can (at Wintergrass and elsewhere), then make an informed decision. Or watch the market until a deal comes up on something irresistible and pull the trigger. Might as well make it count, though.

I don't know what your budget it, but oval holed Collings are pretty sweet. I am guessing the Pavas are great too. Black's are supposed to be great at replicating the vintage Gibson feel.

There should also be plenty of private sellers at Wintergrass too , which could give you a chance to try before you buy and avoid shipping and Paypal fees, which doesn't always happen when working with the secondary market.

Update: I went up to Dusty Strings to try a couple Mandolins I've been looking at and hopefully get a better idea for what exactly I'm looking for as a solid, but different (looking and sounding) backup to the Weber.

I played the H. Bruun again (very sweet sounding), a couple Eastmans and after that i picked up a Red Valley EM. I literally couldn't put that one down. It certainly is different than the Weber.... a good different.

So, I did some research on the brand and really liked what I saw! I contacted James Wilson (Red Valley) and after some great conversation am having one built for me! I'm super stoked and can't wait till I can play my new, little, flat top mandolin.

So much for waiting. Haha!

8. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Update: I went up to Dusty Strings to try a couple Mandolins I've been looking at and hopefully get a better idea for what exactly I'm looking for as a solid, but different (looking and sounding) backup to the Weber.

I played the H. Bruun again (very sweet sounding), a couple Eastmans and after that i picked up a Red Valley EM. I literally couldn't put that one down. It certainly is different than the Weber.... a good different.

So, I did some research on the brand and really liked what I saw! I contacted James Wilson (Red Valley) and after some great conversation am having one built for me! I'm super stoked and can't wait till I can play my new, little, flat top mandolin.

So much for waiting. Haha!
    Nice! I played one of those when I was in Seattle this summer and really liked it! Very high quality, sweet tone and very comfortable to play. I think I'll be back there at the end of Feb. If that H. Bruun is still there, I'd really like to check it out.

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Buy now.
    Don't eat until March, so you can buy again.
    Priorities!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BJ O'Day View Post
    Buy now.
    Don't eat until March, so you can buy again.
    Priorities!

As a support group we'll spend your money for you.

Blog Entries

Mandolin Classifieds are the BEST source to spend your hard earned $, Fests usually have instruments for a higher price! For one with the classifieds you help out individuals not dealers who have a high markup! For two there is always quite the serious different builders/models from all who post here in the classifieds! Three great deals, NFI but a Kentucky KM-950 just sold for what 800 bucks! what a deal, there is an Ellis A model right now for well about close to 2G cheaper than what's at dealers! Nothing wrong with used in my book, they're already broke in and the sound/voice is in em! I go for used all the time, wear/cracks etc.. don't bother me at all. it should all be about the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I played the H. Bruun again (very sweet sounding), a couple Eastmans and after that i picked up a Red Valley EM. I literally couldn't put that one down.
    when I picked out my mandolin last year I too was really impressed with a Red Valley EM they had. I ended up with an Eastman 504 but The Red Valley was at the top of my faves that I played in my price range.

I'm all for this support group thing. how & were will we be meeting ?. by the way Zach I got my little Eastman md 305 & I love it. no finish flaws & it sounds great. I wish you the best with your new mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    I'm all for this support group thing. how & were will we be meeting ?. by the way Zach I got my little Eastman md 305 & I love it. no finish flaws & it sounds great. I wish you the best with your new mandolin.
    Right on Tony! Those look like great mandolins.

Thank you!

+1 buy something used from the Classifieds here on the MC! Attractive prices, wide range of mandolin choices, mostly knowledgeable/trustworthy sellers. 2% of sales price goes to support MC admin Scott Tichenor and his continuing efforts on behalf of our community.

Blog Entries

The only known cure (but it is not 100% reliable): Get the best one you can get by draining the bank account, maxing the credit card, mortgaging the house, but not telling the wife. You won't be getting another mandolin for a long time.

New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    ...You won't be getting another mandolin for a long time.

Just don't keep'em in the same room - rookie mistake

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

From a 2001 Norman Blake interview:

“I’ve played with a little of everything. I’ve had big Gibsons, of course, and still play small-bodied ones. I’ve played Martins. I’ve played everything. I played the D-size Martins, I’ve gone the whole route, so to speak. I enjoy exploring what to play my music on.

“I never stick to one thing. I like guitars too well. I get bored if I play the same one all the time. Lots of people seem to get on one guitar, which is a good thing if you can do that, but I never seem to do that.

“I don’t feel that any one guitar does everything.”

- Norman Blake (2001)

Within the interview, Mr. Blake noted that he “probably [has] 10 mandolins at the moment.” Apparently, he has similar feelings about mandolins.

... Then they start needing re-frets, one after the other ...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture