Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rookie question: Weber -vs- Collings -vs- others

Default Re: rookie question: Weber -vs- Collings -vs- others

Just FYI (no affiliation), but there is a very nice used Absaroka currently advertised on Asheville, NC Craigslist for $1865. Says he will take PayPal.

I'm visiting LA right now. Here everything is 15 miles away and takes 45 minutes to get there. I'll almost look forward to I5 going home.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
    Mike Snyder---- rephrased---well, let's just start with one. If history repeats itself there could most likely be more than one eventually or sooner.

Mark Gunter...yep, that is so true. I try to stay out of downtown Houston (Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio too) as much as possible. Wife and I were just laughing that 1/2 our trip to the Hill Country was spent traversing Houston .... back to the topic of mandolin shopping / talking.

I just wish there was a Weber dealer or shop with a few used Webers within a day's drive from here....either I am missing something, or the Houston area is woefully lacking mandolin shops. Fullers has a (very) few...the other options are craigslist, and the big box store that has 2 or less in stock and nothing I would buy....I feel a road trip coming on.
    Another option would be to go to the Bay Area Bluegrass Shows or the weekly Wednesday night Bluegrass jam at Hickory Hollow in Houston. There are usually quite a few players with different levels of instruments. I get more out of hearing an instrument in the wild than sitting alone in the music store.

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

I just played a Weber Yellowstone made in 2009...for sale at Fiddlers Green Music Shop here in Austin. Really nice instrument...factory distressed...$3300 and worth it. It beat the Collins and the Gibsons that were also on the wall. If I only had the money...
    I have owned a Bighorn made a bit earlier (it is a two point Yellowstone) that I would hate to sell. Collins are very nice, but I just prefer Weber...personal preference.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

6. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post:

Capt. E....I've seen that one too. I'm really in the market for an "A" style....most of the F styles are just above my budget....that Weber Yellowstone F is certainly drool worthy though...it's getting to be like a boat BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand! lol

And Mark Seale...we have been to a few of the Bay Area Bluegrass shows. Frankly the hurricane kinda slowed down our local shows and activity lately, but it is making a comeback. Really a great venue with good turnout...hence wonders about Weber -vs- Collings and others. There are a few other local jams that I have not gotten connected with yet, but are on our radar.

Other comments...I've seen a few variations of the Weber Absaroka, and several folks have suggested that model...beautiful and appealing instruments to my eye, ear, and budget. Found one on craigslist the other day for $1100, but the seller does not want to ship to a stranger (can't blame him) and 1600 miles away is too far to drive. Right now, the closest dealer for Weber is in Florida or Arizona...and I really wouldn't mind that drive, or shipping if there was something used in my price range. Still casting out for leads.
    Last edited by catndahats; Nov-30-2017 at 7:57pm. Reason: can't spell

It’s worth the drive for me but I’m within 40 miles from the music store. I have a Weber Gallatin and it’s my favorite. There’s nothing like holding the instrument and sitting down to play it for a while. I liken it to how I car shop. It has to sound and feel right and I have to try out more than one to make my decision. I’ve about made up my mind to buy another Weber-Yellowstone this time-should be my last Mando purchase but you never know!
    Good luck!
    Bonnie
    2014 Rogue
    2014 Weber F Gallatin
    2012 Ison F Jewel
    2016 Taylor GS Mini Guitar
    2015 Weber Yellowstone

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

... in the Austin area, but was involved in family ...
    Does that give you the option of an easy place to stay overnight? Anytime I've overdosed on (too!) many instruments, I find that it takes some time to get the comparisons in focus and/or for one to stand out. Often, going back a day or a week later clarifies things tremendously. It's amazing how perceptions change: the one that seemed "a bit nicer than average" might prove to be either a standout OR disappointing in, ya know, "the light of a new day".
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Have never owned or played a Collings. Had a Weber River F-14 that I dearly loved. Basically had to part with it (sold) due to finances. The new owner was very impressed after delivery. Actually, I'm considering trying out a Collings MT at a shop in Baltimore, but probably after the the New Year.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

thanks for more information, everyone! This search keeps evolving...first it was for a cheap A style, then a better and better model...lots to choose from. While I have never played a Weber, the ones I have heard appeal to me. I've played a couple of lesser mandos that friends own, but they want to move up already, and know I won't be happy with the sound in the long run.

Ed, yes, we were traveling in our camper when I was up there last. Between family and other priorities we chose not to take the 2 hour drive into Austin with the holiday traffic on our last trip You all are absolutely right too...nothing better than to actually hold and hear an instrument in person. Been watching their inventory online, but nothing has made me say, "Pack the car, we are going now!" yet. I may go out of my comfort zone and buy online without playing first, but something inside me just says "wait" and play first.

And Willkamm, with the holidays there is just so much going on...after Christmas most likely. Crowds shopping and traffic on the road distract me too much....but one never knows what today holds!

The last few instruments that I purchased were in person, and after many years have learned for me that is the best way to make a good purchase. The only instruments purchased that were quickly traded have been online purchases---not because there was anything wrong with them necessarily, just did not get the sound or feel that I wanted---some are great, some are just ok. The best example (and a keeper) was a guitar---I went into the shop to play another high end brand, said "bleah" then picked up the Collings sitting off in a corner as a whim while I was there...one strum and wowowwow! Slept on it and bought the next day.

I think that is how the next purchase will work too....

PS----> just to really muddy things up, been looking at both A style F holes, and am liking the sound of A style oval holes a lot too...I know bluegrass versus the rest of the world

My experience is pretty limited but I do have a Weber Gallatin. Never played a Collings so can't compare that but I did get to try out a Yellowstone and it made me feel pretty good about my Gallatin. Pretty hard for me to notice any difference between the two in sound or playability. (Well, based on my playing anyway)

THart, Webers are an enigma to me. I've heard a few played and like the sound enough to buy, but there are literally none within 400 miles to try (except one F model) and I just don't want to venture into that price range at this point. Can you give a comparison of the Gallatin to others like those mentioned ( kentucky, etc...)???

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

I agree with the Fiddlers Green trip. I drove the 200 miles from Dallas to Austin for a conference last summer. Would much rather have driven there to choose my next mandolin.

16. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

THart, Webers are an enigma to me. I've heard a few played and like the sound enough to buy, but there are literally none within 400 miles to try (except one F model) and I just don't want to venture into that price range at this point. Can you give a comparison of the Gallatin to others like those mentioned ( kentucky, etc...)???
    Just my advice, buy the Weber from one of the stores that support this site and if you don't like it they will take it back (call first to make sure) that was there policy awhile back and probably hasn't changed. However I would bet you will not be returning it. That way your done thinking about it and will have a very nice mando in a week or so, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
    Lou

18. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

No, I haven't had the chance to play much of anything else. Got my Weber on ebay. I think I got a very good buy but I may have been a little (dumb) lucky on that. I'm sure not every late night venture onto ebay after a few drinks turns out as well as that did. Other than my Weber the only mandolins I've tried are my old late '70's Washburn and a few when I visited Mass St Music in Lawrence. A Weber Vintage that blew me away (@ 3x the cost of my Gallatin), a couple old Gibson A's, forget the models, nice, couldn't go wrong with those I suppose & the Yellowstone that didn't seem all that different from my Gallatin other than appearances. I don't think you could go wrong with Weber but I'm sure same could be said for Collings & others too. I'd just look for something that might not be too hard to move should you decide to. Hope you find a good 'un!

20. The following members say thank you to THart for this post: