Thread: What is the Customary Refund Pollicy here on the Mandolin Cafe ?

Default What is the Customary Refund Pollicy here on the Mandolin Cafe ?

I recently sold an instrument here and the buyer wants to return. I have no issue with that but He insists I refund his payment first which I have done, and then He will send the instrument back. Is this how the transaction normally would work, or does the seller wait until the instrument arrives, and checked for condition, and then issues a refund ? I know that it how it usually works with most vendors. Anyway, would appreciate input from the community. Thanks.

Default Re: What is the Customary Refund Pollicy here on the Mandolin Caf

I would think that the return of the instrument would be the first step in returning a payment ! You should have asked for advice before you sent the payment back. What if he/she damaged it and didn't tell you ?

3. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

G7MOF 

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I would think that the return of the instrument would be the first step in returning a payment ! You should have asked for advice before you sent the payment back. What if he/she damaged it and didn't tell you ?
    Totally agree. Damage can be done by the buyer or by return shipping. The seller should not send the instrument until the full payment has been received and confirmed (check clears). If the buyer wants to return it, the buyer should pay the return shipping and insurance. Seller should hold the funds until it is returned and inspected. If it is not in the same condition as when sent, seller should not return all of the funds.

5. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Just like every other business... Send the item back, then get the refund. Standard operating procedure.

If he sent the money before you shipped him the instrument, then he should trust you enough to return the instrument to you and then receive the refund.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

G7MOF 

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Any return policy should be discussed before the transaction is complete. I think it's common to complete the return before the refund as is the buyer paying for shipping both ways (which would come out of the refund).

Did you accurately represent your mandolin in your ad? Or does the buyer not want it for some tone or feel issue?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Any return policy should be discussed before the transaction is complete.
    Also, Method of shipping (next day, USPS, UPS, FED EX etc.), Shipping insurance, Trial period (usually 24 or 48 hours), and deadline for returning ( if buyer wants to return, after trial period it should be shipped back to buyer immediately) If the buyer does not confirm within the trial period, it should be considered a done deal.

11. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

PayPal functions as escrow service protecting both seller and buyer, to me worth the fee for every transaction with an unknown party.

The purchase was made through PayPal and rrefund also via PayPal. I had him send pictures before agreement to refund
    It will be insured full value. I will be explicit about terms next time. Trying to maintain goodwill. After 40 or so transactions here over 15 years, this first encounter with a sourpuss. I think if something goes sideways, the cafe would be interested.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I haven't sold anything on here but , I do sell on eBay and reverb, which always have the instruments sent back to you before you issue a refund, hope all works out for you
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Why I prefer local pickup. Had a guy drive 5 hrs to buy a mando. If there isnt enuff mando pickers within a 5 hr radius, find a new hobby I say.

Very rare to refund before you receive the mandolin back. It is all to common for something to go wrong and you never see the item again. Not suggesting that it would happen in this case with a fellow Cafe user.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

No refund until instrument is back in my hands in the same condition it was sent. All shipping charges are the responsibility of the buyer.