Thread: San Luis Obispo Mandolins?

Default San Luis Obispo Mandolins?

Living on the beautiful Central Coast of California has its perks, but an abundance of mandolins is not one... I've been shopping for mid-level US made mandolins for a while. An all day trip north (mostly driving) let me try out a few Webers and Collings, but that was about it. And I wasn't really blown away by anything I tried. I would love to try out a Gibson/Pava/Ratliff/Phoenix/etc. but they are all very few and very far between. I prefer I narrower neck, so I feel obliged to try out something like a Gibson before making any choices.

Anyone here within an hour or so of San Luis Obispo willing to let a poor soul try out a mandolin? I don't know if I can offer any thing useful in return, but I'm happy to bring along my Martin and pick awhile...

Default Re: San Luis Obispo Mandolins?

Well, if you're ever up here in Portland Oregon area, give me a buzz. It would be one heck of a one hour drive.
    New here? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.
    Or click "Learn/Listen", then "Social Groups", then find "Newbies".

Can't help as I'm in the wrong continent and my instrument honestly isn't worth the journey.

But I'me extremely jealous or where you live! We spent a couple of days in St Luis Obispo a few years ago and wished we could have stayed longer. In fact we're owed a free meal there because my son won a colour in the menu competition in a restaurant!

Hope you stopped at National Guitars, they make a mandolin also. Worth a tour of the facility.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I played a new National mandolin recently, and I really liked it. Not what I'm looking for at the moment, but it's on the list! The list is long...

Right now, I'm looking for a US made F-style or 2 point with f holes. I don't like wide necks. 1 1/8" is a max for me, but I wouldn't mind smaller. I have a Calace bowlback that is closer to 1" with a flat fingerboard that I like. The Calace neck has a pretty deep vee to it, but it's skinny. My other box is a Kentucky KM-855 with a 1 1/8" nut and radiused fingerboard that's also comfortable to me. The Webers and Collings necks seemed huge, even with the 1 1/8" nuts. I like the idea of a radiused board, but I like flat just fine on the right neck. The flat fingerboard and 1 1/16" nut on a Gibson sounds interesting, but the only Gibsons I've tried have been really old and probably not the best comparison to those from the last ~30 years.

I have a couple of my older F-5s that have been demos that I can discount. I'm just over in Bakersfield (about 125 miles away).
    If you are interested you can message me here or email at: craig@wilsonmandolins.com

garded

Right here in Los Osos is Don's String Shop, https://donsstringshop.com

They are only open on Saturday's. They have several mandolins, but if you're stuck on a skinny neck, good luck.

Thanks for the tip. And I guess I should say I didn't like the wider necks I've played, but I'm always open to trying more!

I've moved to FL from Shell Beach, but I remember Lightning Joes guitar shop in AG having quite a good store. Worth a call.