Thread: A-50 regular -vs- wide body

Default A-50 regular -vs- wide body

Looking around I've noticed a few "wide body" or "bell" versions of the A50. Today I found this quote on GBASE:

"In the late 1930's-an era of very slow mandolin sales-Gibson experimented a bit with its midline models to try to make them more appealing to the string band players of the day-some of the few musicians actually using mandolins. The F-hole A-50 model was "advanced" somewhat like the archtop guitars earlier with a longer scale neck and wider body. This was likely designed to increase power and projection, as it did with guitars, to better cut through in an ensemble. Whatever the reasons, the experiment was not considered a success and after a few years the A-50 reverted to its familiar smaller dimensions."

I wonder, did it fail to attract buyers because it was more expensive or the longer scale was harder to play or because it didn't sound as good or what? How do they compare the the "regular" A50, sound and playability-wise? Are there issues to consider for this model - aside from general vintage issues - if interested in buying one?

Thanks.

Default Re: A-50 regular -vs- wide body

never had both , had a A40, an EM150 & now an A50 luthier modified to be a 4 string Electric,,
    smaller pickup, centered , rather than near the bridge..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The "wide body" A-50's are rare enough, that you probably won't find many Cafe members who've owned one, let alone played it head-to-head with the "regular" A-50. Gibson was just getting into f-hole A-models at the time, probably trying several different approaches. The bigger A-50's didn't catch on, while the smaller A-50's and A-40's were decent sellers.

Hope you find the comparative info you're looking for.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Hi I had one of each last year, a 1940-ish wide body and a 1936 standard sized one. I've kept the 1936 one and let the wide one go. I was expecting a big sound but it didn't have it. Also the 1936 just seems better made and feels better in the hands. The tone is certainly better, a clean piano like sound and very even across the strings. It doesn't sound so loud when you're playing it, but it's really loud when you're in front of it. Cheers

Blog Entries

Ok I own some wide body A-50's and have had regular A-50's. If set up correctly they will be good, some mandolins are for sure better, I've had 2 of the same model and one would be better than the other. I just picked up a 35 F-hole elevated board A-50 and that model has put all of them Gibson A's to shame thus far, its really a hoss and sounds better than a lot of F-5's, just not on the high registers.
    The wide bodies are braced kinda heavy so if you could shave down braces, elevate board and another trick I know to get the bridge in the right spot their may be a decent mando hidden in there?

When I find time I have a Wide Body A-1 "plain jane version of the sunburst wide A-50" that I'm going to reconfigure and trick it out so to speak and see what that'll be like with the modifications. I believe it'll be a way better mandolin and it's in rough condition so I don't mind trying to make a hot rod out of her.
    Last edited by William Smith; Dec-22-2017 at 6:16am.

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I own one of the wide A50's and have played dozens of them. I find them to have odd shaped necks and the neck angle not the same as a regular body A50, thus making it a tad bit harder to play. The wide bodies do have a "bigger" and "louder" sound but not necessarily a "better" or "finer" tone.

8. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Thanks, everyone. I had one glowing report via a private message, but the rest seem ambivalent, so barring any opportunity to try one, I'll turn my focus elsewhere.

I've only played the wide body. Found it underwelming.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1