Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calton Cases

Default Re: Calton Cases

Thanks for the vid Dale. I totally agree, the new Calton's are really nice and improved so much from what was already a great case, imo.

The new molds round everything out taking all the sharp edges off the case and offer a really sealed fit when you snap the lid closed.

Obvious further development went into the interior design too, the neck and body is padded and bolstered in all the right places. There's a canted floor (box) and a deep neck saddle that makes it near impossible for the peghead to ever come in contact with the case in transit or if dropped. And yes, I believe there's ample clearance around the head too. The instrument rests really snugly in the case.

I think the Texas team have taken it to a new level.
    Last edited by mtucker; Nov-26-2017 at 9:35am.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

From mtucker - "....there's ample clearance around the head too.". Have they changed that aspect of the design since they made the first US ones ?. I remember reading a few posts regarding the fact that they hadn't - but should have done.
    If they have,then it surely must be one of the best cases that you can buy right now - if they havent ....... !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

thanks so much for these informative and supportive posts! Your time and knowledge is sincerely appreciated!

best,
    dale

The US cases are based on the U.K. versions. Jon Green purchased the company directly from Keith Calton who retired. The area around the headstock is much wider than the Canadian made Caltons.

The headstock issue was resolved years ago with the relocation of a rivet.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Well,maybe there were 2 problems 1) The rivet & 2) The 'too close' proximity of the side of the case to the headstock scroll,at least in the view of the Cafe members who remarked on it. I sincerely hope that the new design is as good as it should be on anotherwise excellent case,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Rivet or no rivet, I placed my F-5 in an Austin Calton. Too close for me...

I have a Calton case, and given the very close fit of the mandolin in the case, and the light weight of the instrument it' self, I have no concerns about any damage to the headstock! Something else is going to have to break before that happens.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

This issue has been discussed a bunch. IMHO too much. That being said I spoke with Gary Price, he is making me a case.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I bought a Gilchrist Model 1 that was shipped in a Calton (mint green). The case was in a cardboard box. The case was enveloped by packing peanuts. The box must have fallen from the airplane. There were no marks on the case, the box was not ripped, but showed some accordion as if it fell.

The mandolin slid in the case, compressed the foam and the back of the instrument struck the underlayment below the accessory pocket. The movement and position of the underlayment led to a sharp wack to the northern tip of the back and released the glue joint.

Weird story. Damn shame about that underlayment of plywood. It literally was the straw that broke the mandolin's back.

Just a story. Makes me question the design of a Calton; however.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I bought a Gilchrist Model 1 that was shipped in a Calton (mint green). The case was in a cardboard box. The case was enveloped by packing peanuts. The box must have fallen from the airplane. There were no marks on the case, the box was not ripped, but showed some accordion as if it fell.

The mandolin slid in the case, compressed the foam and the back of the instrument struck the underlayment below the accessory pocket. The movement and position of the underlayment led to a sharp wack to the northern tip of the back and released the glue joint.

Weird story. Damn shame about that underlayment of plywood. It literally was the straw that broke the mandolin's back.

Just a story. Makes me question the design of a Calton; however.

f-d
    Depends on the "version" of Calton case, and where it was made. Was this perhaps one made by the Toronto owner who bought the company from Al, and then imploded the company?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

maybe? I would be interested in knowing how they dealt with the former design issue(s).

I was so surprised by the damage and never got to keep/play this mandolin. Shipping insurance and the seller had to handle the rest of the efforts. Think the mandolin took a trip back to Australia; however.

f-d

As Mandobar says, it depends on the version of the Calton. All the "real" Caltons - those built in the UK by Keith Calton himself - are (were) produced to fit a specific instrument; i.e. you had to send your measurements to Keith and he built the case to suit. Over the 40+ years since I bought my first Calton, I've never seen one availabe "off the peg".

I don't think the same can be said of the "foreign" Calton cases and their instant availability seems to be widely advertised. I also suspect that some of the people who insist on expressing views on their shortcomings may never have actually owned one.

My Model 1 Gilchrist came in the same seafoam case Daddio and it was the Canadian version, as Mary says. I have no idea if the new ones are based on the British version or not since I've never seen the Brit one, but completely redesigned from the two Canadian Calton's that I currently own. Greater head room, deeper neck saddle, slanted floor box to prevent headstock whiplash against the case, a really secure fit, more aesthetically pleasing, and overall just a better built mousetrap imo.

I also checked out Colling's cases and have to say that although it's pretty nice, I don't think the dollar for dollar value ($750 for the Collings and $750 for the Calton) is really even close. There's very little room in the Collings, the fit of my Gilchrist F5 was extremely tight, almost offensively tight. I generally think the price point (just my opinion) is high for what you're getting with the Colling's case. You might find significantly better value with a comparable case builder. No offense meant to anyone.

18. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    As Mandobar says, it depends on the version of the Calton. All the "real" Caltons - those built in the UK by Keith Calton himself - are (were) produced to fit a specific instrument; i.e. you had to send your measurements to Keith and he built the case to suit. Over the 40+ years since I bought my first Calton, I've never seen one availabe "off the peg".

I don't think the same can be said of the "foreign" Calton cases and their instant availability seems to be widely advertised. I also suspect that some of the people who insist on expressing views on their shortcomings may never have actually owned one.
    Ray,

There are three iterations of Calton made in North America. The first was run by Al and Trudy Williams in Alberta, Canada and they were superb. Meticulous about their work and fun to talk with. I have spoken with Keith Calton about them and he held them in very high regard. The Williams sold the company to a man who moved Calton to the Maritimes of Canada. It was his business dealings that brought about the demise of Calton in North America. (Spoke with Keith about that as well.) Keith was quite involved with the company that ended up bringing Calton back in North America including the design improvements he had made and was comfortable where the cases he no longer makes were headed.

I own cases made in Alberta and the Maritimes but do not own one from the Austin group. I can't discern any difference in the quality of the cases made in either place in Canada. But the quality and honesty of the folks you dealt with was very different. The Williams out in Alberta were just the best.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryk Loske For This Useful Post:

AlanNRay(T) 

I believe mine is from the Williams era. It's a great case. I've stood on that thing, dropped it a few times. The mandolin has been fine and the case is no worse for the wear. If I was ever getting rid of my F5G (and I can't imagine ever doing that) I would still keep the case. I saved my pennies for months to buy it and then a wonderful thing happened. I was in Atlantic City on my anniversary with my wife and I hit a jackpot on a slot machine. Gave my wife half (that she promptly lost) and used the rest to buy my case. I remember going back to the room that night and ordering it from Greg Boyd.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

22. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post

<snip>

I also suspect that some of the people who insist on expressing views on their shortcomings may never have actually owned one.
    That's true for me! I never got to consummate my chance to purchase an otherwise perfect Model 1 ($4,200).

I'll never say another word. . .

f-d

The US Caltons are derived from the original U.K. Caltons. Keith sold the name and the company to Jon Green and retired.

There were some real issues with the Maritime Calton cases, with the glue letting loose on the lining and other shoddy workmanship. The biggest problem though, was the dishonesty with taking peoples' money and never delivering the product.

I have some a few Alberta Caltons, and have to say, they are pretty industructible, but heavy. I have a few of the new US cases, but I'm carrying a new Collings case these days with a case cover. If I'm carrying a lot of gear I will switch to the Calton, just so I'm not worried about anything dropping on my case while we are loading and unloading for a gig.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

From Ray - "...are (were) produced to fit a specific instrument;..". Not necessarily so !. My friend Paul who now owns a Heiden "A" style, bought a Calton case ''off the shelf' for his previous mandolin,a Lebeda F5. Another friend did the same for his Summit F5 mandolin. Both fitted perfectly well in the cases. I measured both my Weber & Lebeda mandolins according to the Calton diagram & then contacted Calton UK. I was told that it wasn't 100% necessary for have a tailor made case built - IF - i was sure that an 'off the shelf' one would take my mandolin. My idea was to have a case that would fit both mandolins equally well. I decided against buying a Calton & had a friend get me a Travelite case instead. That one's fitted every mandolin that's every been placed in it perfectly. It houses my Ellis "A" style,prior to that it housed both my Weber & Lebeda (not at the same time !). Paul tried his Heiden "A" style in it. Another friend tried his Gibson 'Sam Bush' mandolin in it & they fit like a glove,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calton_Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	162620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Dims..JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	162621
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Yes... I had a case direct from Keith Calton too (actually, 3 cases - 2 guitar and a mandolin). I asked him about the measurements and when I said "Oh, a D-18, a D-28 and a Gibson F-5" he just said "no problem - I can send them right out". He did. They all fit perfectly. For 'unusual' or lesser-known models/makes, yes, he did want measurements/templates.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

27. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

thanks all for the great posts and info about what are IMO the best cases on the planet - so enjoyed reading your comments!

How is the backpack option? Is it comfortable?

I wish they offered Thinsulate.