Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

  1. #1

    Default Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Hey everyone, I'm new to the Cafe and wanted to share a new project I'm working on with all of you. I have been practicing arranging some of my favorite songs into solo mandolin pieces sometimes for better or for worse. There is not a lot of resources for learning to play the mandolin as a solo instrument nor is it usually considered designed for such a thing. To sort of change that, I will be including tablature and notation in the video description to try and help others wishing to play like this. Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks all!

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Wild For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Play on! Sid Simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Thank you! Lovely, but I didn't see any tab. Wait for other confirmation, but the original is in 5/4 (hence the name) and I think you're playing it in 4/4 . Keep posting, please!


    Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis


  4. #3
    Registered User AKA Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Good start! 5/4 time is tricky and there are a few moments where, I think, you lose track of the time signature.
    There are a few players who specialize in jazz music and some who are quite adept at chord-melody solo. Jethro Burns was a giant, of course. Check out David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays. Ah, and Google up Aaron Weinstein on YouTube for a real treat.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Simpson View Post
    Thank you! Lovely, but I didn't see any tab. Wait for other confirmation, but the original is in 5/4 (hence the name) and I think you're playing it in 4/4 . Keep posting, please!
    Hey Sid, the tab is in the video description as a pdf. Here is the link for it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UQ7...ew?usp=sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Frosty View Post
    Good start! 5/4 time is tricky and there are a few moments where, I think, you lose track of the time signature.
    There are a few players who specialize in jazz music and some who are quite adept at chord-melody solo. Jethro Burns was a giant, of course. Check out David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays. Ah, and Google up Aaron Weinstein on YouTube for a real treat.
    It is very possible. Time signatures are definitely not my strong point but I made sure my notation software was in 5/4 when working this out. Who knows though. Thank you very much for the feedback and recommendations. I will definitely check them out!

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Peninsula
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Nice playing in a good key for mandolin! Counts out like 5/4 to me except for one place near the end in the transition from the B part back to the A part. Maybe one beat is missing but it comes right back to 5/4. The lead sheets I see online have the solo start on the four beat with four eighth notes.
    Pava S/N 21
    Kentucky KM-505

  7. #6
    Registered User StevenS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Well done.

    You should check out Evan Marshall -





    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com
    "On the Bench Today" updates on Facebook

  8. The following members say thank you to StevenS for this post:


  9. #7
    Mandolin Friendly Mark Gunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Near Abilene, Texas
    Posts
    2,030

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Very nice playing, Mandolin Wild! Very enjoyable listen, thanks for sharing.

    I don't know if I can agree that there is a terrible lack of solo mandolin out there - but I believe there is a pretty good dearth of solo mandolin with vocals out there. It's done, but not often, and it's always a joy for me to watch the ones I can find.

    Another one to check out on solo mandolin work is Tim Connell, check out his album Mandalone

    Name:  mandalone.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  35.9 KB


    Interview here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...nell-Interview
    Technique, theory and fun, fun, fun. I love playing, studying and sharing MUSIC.
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN
    ------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Collings Mandolins | MandoCymru
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

  10. #8

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    That's lovely. Thanks for providing the Tab file. That should keep me busy for a couple of years

  11. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Nice! And yes, it is definitely in 5/4.

  12. #10

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Quote Originally Posted by ToyonPete View Post
    Nice playing in a good key for mandolin! Counts out like 5/4 to me except for one place near the end in the transition from the B part back to the A part. Maybe one beat is missing but it comes right back to 5/4. The lead sheets I see online have the solo start on the four beat with four eighth notes.
    You're right and good ear! Right at the transition where the harmonics are is where I accidentally changed the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
    Well done.

    You should check out Evan Marshall -





    Steve
    Oh wow. He is truly out of this world. It almost seems impossible what he's doing. I have to learn this technique if it's the last thing I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Very nice playing, Mandolin Wild! Very enjoyable listen, thanks for sharing.

    I don't know if I can agree that there is a terrible lack of solo mandolin out there - but I believe there is a pretty good dearth of solo mandolin with vocals out there. It's done, but not often, and it's always a joy for me to watch the ones I can find.

    Another one to check out on solo mandolin work is Tim Connell, check out his album Mandalone

    Name:  mandalone.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  35.9 KB


    Interview here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...nell-Interview
    Very cool! I'm loving and learning a lot just from the recommendations in this thread. I'm am definitely picking up his album and book.

  13. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Wild for this post:


  14. #11
    Fingers of Concrete ccravens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Crockett, TX
    Posts
    636

    Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

    Nice indeed Mando Wild!
    Chris Cravens

    Girouard A5 Mandolin
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Girouard A Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •