Thread: iRig Acoustic Stage

Default iRig Acoustic Stage

I was loaned one of these by a friend to try out on the mandolin and my open back banjo.

The mandolin is an Eastman 515 with an onboard K&K. The little iRig beats the K&K hands down for natural sound. The iRig allows one to mix the onboard pickup with the iRig signal. When mixed with the K&K, the combination is even better!

On the open back Wildwood banjo, I simply taped the iRig onto the back (inside) of the head behind the tail piece, and it renders a very natural sound - much better than another banjo that is set up with a Fishman Rare Earth pickup.

FWIW, I think the iRig is worth a try if you are looking for a pickup for your mandolin or any other acoustic instrument.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Adams For This Useful Post:

Astroderbex 

No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

4. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Default Re: iRig Acoustic Stage

I really like the portability of the iRig, and have been trying it on a number of instruments. It works beautifully on the Ukulele, as well as all my guitars, including the Martin R18. However, while it fits nicely on the Eastman 515, it will not fit on my Gibson Goldrush. The f holes on the Gibson are too small to accommodate it.

I see good value in this for the player who does not want to modify an instrument, but needs to have an option to "plug in" when the venue requires it.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

I was wondering if it would fit an F hole. One reviewer had the same problem in that it wouldnt fit his sound hole. So he just taped it on with double sided tape off his pick guard into the hole and it worked for him.

I wonder if the microphone part would go in, if you could use blue tac puddy on the triangle part instead of trying to fit the clip in and maybe that would work?

I thought about getting one of these, but the reviews on amazon said if you plan to regularly gig with it don't. It is flimsily made. What do those of you who have bought these think.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

What preamp are you using with the K&K?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    What preamp are you using with the K&K?
    Fishman Pro.

I am interested, but it seems it has limit to the soundboard thickness of 4mm, there is reinforcing around the sound hole on my mando which seems to push it up to more like 5mm.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    I was loaned one of these by a friend to try out on the mandolin and my open back banjo.

The mandolin is an Eastman 515 with an onboard K&K. The little iRig beats the K&K hands down for natural sound. The iRig allows one to mix the onboard pickup with the iRig signal. When mixed with the K&K, the combination is even better!

On the open back Wildwood banjo, I simply taped the iRig onto the back (inside) of the head behind the tail piece, and it renders a very natural sound - much better than another banjo that is set up with a Fishman Rare Earth pickup.

FWIW, I think the iRig is worth a try if you are looking for a pickup for your mandolin or any other acoustic instrument.
    How are you mixing the K&k with irig ? The pics I saw of irig it dosnt look the mic cable is very long are you plugging pthe 1/4” K&k into the irig box and the taking the irig out to an amp ? I tried an Meyers pick up/mic and didn’t like the external wiring so I’m getting a K&k internal installed for ease of use and the K&K has great reviews for sound and lack of feedback I’m surprised to hear the irig beats it hands down only because of its low price.
    Lou

I was looking into one of these until I read it was a mic and feed back too easily, and wasn't roadworthy. Even a cheap mic will sound quite good with an instrument. I have a K&K and again this weekend another musician told me how good my mandolin sounded. I get compliments all the time on the quality of sound and I don't have feedback issues so guess I will keep what I have. Interested to hear more about these as something to quickly put on an instrument tho. I will say my K&K is not mounted like most and I think that is some of the quality of sound, the mandolin also sounds great so that helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Loubrava View Post
    How are you mixing the K&k with irig ? The pics I saw of irig it dosnt look the mic cable is very long are you plugging pthe 1/4” K&k into the irig box and the taking the irig out to an amp ? I tried an Meyers pick up/mic and didn’t like the external wiring so I’m getting a K&k internal installed for ease of use and the K&K has great reviews for sound and lack of feedback I’m surprised to hear the irig beats it hands down only because of its low price.
    Lou
    Yes, it has an AUX.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I was looking into one of these until I read it was a mic and feed back too easily, and wasn't roadworthy. Even a cheap mic will sound quite good with an instrument. I have a K&K and again this weekend another musician told me how good my mandolin sounded. I get compliments all the time on the quality of sound and I don't have feedback issues so guess I will keep what I have. Interested to hear more about these as something to quickly put on an instrument tho. I will say my K&K is not mounted like most and I think that is some of the quality of sound, the mandolin also sounds great so that helps too.
    How is your K&K mounted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    How is your K&K mounted ?
    I glued the tape to the pickup, glued another piece of tape to the tape, and glued the second piece of tape to the mandolin. It gives a slight buffer that I think is slightly warmer than gluing the pickup straight to the mandolin. I wanted the buffer and warmth of the tape, but didn't want to worry about it coming loose in some of the harsh conditions I play in.

16. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Astro