Thread: Uke bass strings ?

Default Uke bass strings ?

Hey folks ... I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask questions about Uke bass strings, but here goes. I have a friend who plays a uke bass with flat wound strings ( that , I am told have been discontinued by the manufacturer ( Luna). So, an alternate source for flat wound strings is needed. I'm told round wound strings are available but the sound of flat wound strings are preferred. We've measured the string diameters and they are : G / .029 to .032 , D / .041 to .042 , A / .049 , E / .059

So, the question is, can anyone offer a suggestion as to where one might find suitable flat wound strings ? Not exactly a mandolin topic, but our mando group is without a bass 'til strings are found. Many thanks for giving it some thought!

Default Re: Uke bass strings ?

JustStrings.com has a pretty wide selection of strings, including ones you can purchase individually if you need to cobble together a set.

Flatwound? Roundwound? Aren't U-Bass strings rubber tubing?

Thanks for the interest guys. I've seen both wound and fat rubber (ish) strings. I think the root problem is that no one makes a wound bass uke string these days. If you have the rubberish type, you're good to go. Anyway, the concept of being able to go to a session with your bass right under your arm is mighty appealing.

Looks like LaBella and Pyramid have something but not sure how similar they are to the Luna ones.

This guy reviews:

Pyramid Uke Bass Strings

LaBella ukulele bass strings
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

.29, .41, .49, and .59 stainless flatwounds are what you need. Luna's website says they still carry them but you will have to pre-order. http://www.lunaguitars.com/query?upc=814064026384 Might want to try their customer service dept. (800) 793-5273 toll-free M-F 9am - 5pm EST.

A Luna Uke Bass is a baritone uke strung like a piccolo bass. Other than that they are pretty much the same. I can see where it would fit in with a Mando band. If anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOKhUAyNmcc

Yeh, the Pyramid strings are getting very good reviews over the rubber ones. To my ears they sound a lot better