Thread: Gibson F7

Default Gibson F7

Just saw in the classified a new Gibson F7. What is this, the old F7 were F style boxes with short necks, whatever benefit that may have been. This one seems to be a F5 without the Florida. I think the original ones were to use up some parts laying the Gibson factory what is this one for?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson F7

Yes the pre-war F-7, F-10 and F-12 were all short neck mandolins, but with an F-5 body. Gibson was using old F-2/F-4 neck blanks up and putting fancy inlays in the peg head and fret board to attract buyers. It was the Great Depression and only well heeled players could afford the F-5 of the time, so these could attract players that didn't want to spend or couldn't afford the 250 F-5 case extra.
    The F-7 is the only squared off end, the all black F-10 and fancier F-12 had the florida but all had the raised fret board extension.
    Actually the original one posted is my 39 F-7. It does sound great. Just not the power of the F-5. I have a 34 F-7 getting a long 5 scale maple neck at Randy Woods and he told me the graduations are the same as my friends 34 F-5 that was at his shop at the same time. So I believe they made the bodies the same as the F-5 of the period but used up parts because of the depression and made them a cheaper model. They were somewhat popular with players mainly the F-7 as they were more affordable. Bill Monroe cut his early recordings with a 34 F-7 up until he found the Loar at the barbershop and the rest is HISTORY!

This one is a reproduction and it has a "long neck" like an F-5, if they are anything like the repros of the F-12 a few years ago they aren`t worth messing with but it would be nice to hear what they sound like...Myself I don`t understand why Gibson would build anything like this when they can put the time and materials into making better instruments.....

Willie

Willie that’s my point, why make such a thing. It is not really a reproduction because of the long neck, it appears that it sells as high or higher than some F5’s.The F9 is the “entry level” FStyle, a 5 with less ornamentation, where is supposed to be the market for this thing?

Recently Gibson made an "F-10" and "F-7" that were pretty much modifications on the basic F-5 chassis, rather than replicas of the earlier models. Seems more like a marketing ploy than a serious hommage to past G products.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes the remakes are for sure not like the originals, almost but the finish is all wrong on the F-7 remakes, Not sure on the F-12, I don't believe I've seen a remake? They did however use hogwood necks like the originals but gave them the F-5 scale board. Also I'm sure they used sitka tops and the originals would've been red spruce. Still pretty neat mandolins. I have a friend that has one of the few all black F-10's that David Harvey did and its not half bad! The originals are pretty kool for the fact that there isn't too many around, for sure the F-10 and F-12. And some of these have been modified into long necks. I have an original 35 F-12 and I refuse to modify that because there is only 4 maybe left? I've done a few F-7's but they weren't pristine so they got the modification and they really are some of the best mandolins that I've owned/played. I've gotten rid of real high dollar F-5's that weren't as good to me anyway.