Thread: Another String Question

Default Another String Question

Been gone from here for sometime and have a string question for the more experienced players on here. I have a Kentucky KM171 oval hole A that I'm going to change strings on in a short time.
    Will heavier strings give it a more mellow tone and if so, which strings do you recommend? I just play at home for my own enjoyment. Thanks

Default Re: Another String Question

I am sure someone will chime in about the use of heavier strings. I would suggest you look at a set of Mapes strings. I used GHS A270 PB mediums for many years and I now prefer the tone of the Mapes PB's. There are very mellow and have an even tone across all the strings and at $5.00 a set you can't go wrong. Plus you can build your own personal set, at no extra cost. NFI on my part, just a fan.

There is another thread talking about these strings. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ighlight=mapes

Here is the link to their website.

https://www.mapesstrings.com/

Blog Entries

Pick choices made more difference than strings to mellow out my KM171. Golden Gate with rounded tip sounded mellow on that mandolin but on my next mandolin the GG seemed dull

In my experience, heavier strings sound more full. That said, I agree with the above statement that pick choice will mellow out or brighten up the tone more than the strings. One of my favorite picks right now is the I-Tone 41. It's pretty thin with rounded points, but sounds very dark.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

A heavier pick with rounded points will mellow out nearly any string set and mandolin. I also like the glide of the round edge. If I am using a standard shaped pick, rarely, I will turn it and use the rounded shoulder for a warmer sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

After trying just about every brand of pick that is made I found the 1.5 Prime-Tone rounded pick and a Dawg pick to have the best sound on my mandolins...I have tried the Mapes strings and do like them and I have been a loooong time user of GHS A-270 strings for all of my mandolins but I also like to try different strings as they hit the market...

Willie

Mark Willson has it !. Try using a thicker,more rounded pick. That will take the brightness away - in fact,go too thick & it'll take everything away !!!!. Using heavier strings,might dull down the G & D strings a bit,but mostly you'll get stronger toned A & E strings,not what you're after - change your pick. Eithe type of these 2 Dunlop Primetone picks would do it - available in 1.3 mm / 1.5 mm & 2.0 mm thicknesses,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 'molded grip'.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	162481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 'flat'.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	162482
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

You might want to try out silk and steel or silk and bronze strings.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Wow I am the complete opposite of most all of you. I am more attracted to the bright twang sound. I use light Elixir strings with a Dunlop ultex 0.73 mm guitar pick. Is that weird? I learned on guitar so I'm used to guitar picks although I've tried turning the pic around to the rounder side and I feel like I don't know where the pic is if I do that and I miss the strings. I was thinking about buying an actual mandolin pick. Is it hard to adjust?

I'm a fan of D'addario EFW74 Flatwound strings. I especially like them on oval hole mandolins. I think it gives the low end a really smooth sound

11. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'm a fan of D'addario EFW74 Flatwound strings. I especially like them on oval hole mandolins. I think it gives the low end a really smooth sound
    The D’Addario EFW74 flarwound strings will give the mandolin a warmer tone and as a bonus, they are significantly easier in the fingers and last forever (well, maybe not forever, but a year or more). I’ve been using them for years, mainly because of the warm tone they provide.

On my particular instrument, going from light to heavier strings absolutely killed the sound. I think that was the exception and not the rule, but anything can happen.

As an aside to the OP's question - Having run out of GHS A270 strings for my Ellis "A" style,i put on a set of EJ74's yesterday, something i'd intended to do anyway, to try them out on that mandolin. The result was far from good !. The A & E strings sounded fine,the G strings sounded a tad on the dull side,but the D strings in particular, sound dull & virtually toneless !!!. I don't know why that should be. EJ74's sound very good on my Weber & ok on my Lebeda. So why they should sound so bad on the Ellis i don't know.

Some GHS A270's are on order,but as i have to buy them from Germany,i might try a set of DR MD11's on it again,a string set that i can easily get in the UK. It's had MD11s on it before & as far as i can remember,they sounded fine.

Any other Ellis users found EJ74's 'not too good' on their mandolins ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMeister101 View Post
    Wow I am the complete opposite of most all of you. I am more attracted to the bright twang sound. I use light Elixir strings with a Dunlop ultex 0.73 mm guitar pick. Is that weird? I learned on guitar so I'm used to guitar picks although I've tried turning the pic around to the rounder side and I feel like I don't know where the pic is if I do that and I miss the strings. I was thinking about buying an actual mandolin pick. Is it hard to adjust?
    Uh, what was your question again?

I am absolutely a yellow Dunlop 73 loyalist for guitar, I like a little give in the pick. But I have switched to the green 88s for mando, much less clicky. And much more durable. (The 73s really get torn to shreds pretty quickly the way I play). When I can get them I also like Primetones in the same .9 area.

Having said that, you are not alone in being disinterested in a really fat pick for mando.

I use 1mm picks, but for decades I used thin (.71) picks and went between the point and the rounded shoulder. My '22 Gibson was warm and did not need the thicker picks to sound good. It was only when I went to an ff hole mandolin that I found the need for a heavier pick.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I use Blue Chip picks in 80 and 100 on an A4 Black and a Gibson F5g, respectively. Strings and picks influence volume and tone greatly. The bigger issues are technique and the quality of your instrument. It does not matter what pick or string set you have if your right hand is not there. My left hand technique ain’t much, frankly, and I struggle to play Bluegrass. Contradance and fiddle tunes and old time are more my thing. I can hang with most pickers other than the really hot because my right hand is always moving and I have those fat picks at the right angle. If you mean by “mellow” less shrill or warmer, try flatwound strings. Strings are cheap fun. Try a bunch. Could take years.
    Mike Snyder