Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is your go to mandolin store & why.

Default who is your go to mandolin store & why.

who do you go to when you want to buy a new mandolin ?, do more people here go to the Mandolin store or Elderly Instrument or some place else for there one stop shopping. also which store is the best for your one stop shopping for cases regular & fiberglass. mandolin straps & Grover tuning machines.

Default Re: who is your go to mandolin store & why.

My last 3 purchases have been thru the Mandolin Store, Folkmusician, and as of yesterday Elderly. The Mandolin Store and Folkmusician were fantastic experiences. Still waiting on arrival of the mandolin from Elderly and I'm sure it will be absolutely great. Elderly is my go-to for all accessories and have never had any issue.
    Been to Elderly a handful of times and have never played an instrument there that wasn't set-up great.

Blog Entries

I go to whoever happens to have what I want at the time-I check all the sites and know many individuals to deal with. Granted the dealers that I like are Gruhns,Elderly, Mainly because they will work with you on say a vintage piece, like an old Gibson that they've had for a long while etc...Gruhns prices seem to be a bit more realistic than Carters Vintage-although I like Carters but never bought anything yet because of the prices they ask. I've been buying from Elderly and Gruhn since I was a kid in the mid 90's! Never felt taken advantage of!

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I go to whoever happens to have what I want at the time.
    That about says it...
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

5. The following members say thank you to AMandolin for this post:

In central Canada, Twelfth Fret in Toronto. Best mando selection in Canada, I'm sure. All the Gibsons, Collings, Eastmans and Kentuckys you may wonder about. Friendly knowledgable staff. They are a major international dealer; I prefer not to deal with currency conversion, customs issues and fees, and shipping in general, so I always spend some time there when in Toronto, just to figure out what I cant live without any longer.

would be nice if the mandolin store had more stuff like elderly does. I would like to order that A style fiberglass cases elderly has, but I would love to buy it from the mandolin store with the rest of my order. I also wish they installed & sold mandolin tuners like elderly does. it sounds like the mandolin stores sells a lot more mandolins than elderly, but elderly is more of a all around music store, bigger with more staff. I also think dealing with Brian would be more personnel & he takes care of his customers better because they are a lot smaller' I just hate having to go to him, elderly & eBay for the Grover tuners I want. I just wish he was a one stop mandolin store. Bill if I was to make that 8 hour trip from Queens to Toronto do you think they would give me a hard time if I came across the border either way with a mandolin in my car.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

For on line purchases I like The Mandolin Store. Great guys over there for sure!

For local shopping (I live near Seattle), browsing, playing or when I need something quick (no shipping) I go to Dusty Strings in Fremont. I still want that H. Bruun I played there a few weeks back. Killer mando for the money.

I've bought several mandolins from the Mandolin Store, and also from Cotten Music in Nashville. I have been really happy with their service, and setups.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I would think that for most, this wouldn't be a very applicable question, because most folks don't buy mandolins on a regular basis. The part of the question about accessories makes more sense to me, because folk are more likely to favor a particular vendor or two for regular purchases like strings, for instance.

I personally don't have a "go to store for mandolin" - though I can think of seven or eight stores I'd like to buy mandolins from!

Of the five mandolin purchases I've made in the past three years, none was from a major store, no two were from the same place, and the best purchase of all was made from a local musician.

So far, most of my accessories (especially strings) come from Elderly - always a good deal on what I want there.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

My preferences if I want to have a hands on experience with an instrument is dictated by what's "local," and the best local spot is about a 45 min to 1 hour drive into Atlanta (only 30 min with no ATL traffic) to Maple Street Guitars. They carry various and sundry Eastmans, Kentucky's and Collings' Mando's… In truth I've only been there once when I bought my Eastman, but it was a great experience and I would go back in a heartbeat (and I am thinking about it).

I have made MANY other purchases from The Mandolin Store and fully trust them with my business. I have also had a good experience with Stew Mac for parts and accessories, though I can say that when I purchased from SM, I was almost automatically hit with a boatload of unsolicited emails… but that was easy to manage by "unsubscribing" to their emails.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments, Missoula Montana.

Haven't bought a mandolin yet, but a few guitars from Gryphon. When you want something like a dobro capo, they come through. Want a selection of strap buttons? Which of these exotic wood and shell combinations would you like? Bone bridge pins, or ebony.?They have them, and pretty much anything used in repair parts. Great resource to have thirty minutes away.

Sylvan in Santa Cruz is a close second.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Honestly, the Mandolin Café Classifieds. I've bought more mandolins there than anywhere else. Also honestly, it's not that many.

However. Fiddler's Green in Austin is one of the best shops anywhere. Both in service, quality of instruments, selection, and supplies. I buy stuff there even when I can get it cheaper on the internet because I think it's important to support local businesses in any way I can. It's like having a Michelin 4 star restaurant in your small hometown. I would send them a check every year just to stay here and operate so I can try things out. Plus it's something of a meeting place for local musicians.

15. The following members say thank you to OlDanTucker for this post:

I really prefer to play a mandolin before I buy, and all of the frequently mentioned favorites here are simply too far away to do that. My last purchase was from The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA...a store that I always frequent when visiting family. TME always has a large selection of mandolins to play, and the staff is great. There's nothing like hearing and playing an instrument first hand. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from any of the Cafe' sponsors as they have all earned the excellent reputations that they have. As stated above, it would depend on what I want and who might have it at the time.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Living in a very rural area, I have no real access to much of anything of quality in regards to mandolins. I've bought most of my mandolins and related items here in the Classifieds. The mandolins were bought from private sellers and other items were purchased from the maker via the classifieds - arm rest, tonegard ....

I haven't made many big purchases for a while now, but for strings I usually buy enough for a year or so and use http://www.juststrings.com or http://www.stringsandbeyond.com and bulk up. They both offer regular discounts and I also get free shipping to Canada. https://gregboyd.com usually has a room at Wintergarss and I usually end up leaving there with less money that I walked in with. I've picked up a couple of nice straps there from them. All good people!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I have only bought one mandolin in 24 years of playing that I didn't buy in person. I have bought several acoustic guitars online. None of the higher end ones ever lasted. The cheaper guitars I bought from Elderly were spot on set up well. I buy strings and accessories from whomever offers me the best deal. I always give my local shop a chance to come close to the online prices. When they do, I buy from them. They are great guys and I want to support my local shop so it will still be there when I need it.

Mine are eBay and the MC Classifieds, because I've found the best used prices there and I never buy instruments new

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

20. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

This is a little hard even for me to believe now that I think about it, but I have never bought a mandolin in person from a store.
    My first two mandolins were new or slightly blemished from online or ebay "stores". All the other - 20-odd - purchases were from ebay individual sellers (the majority), a couple from the cafe classifieds, or in two cases, directly from the builder. Only one, my Mann A7 (because he is local in TN) did I sample/play beforehand.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Elderly and Mandolin Store for accessories ! To the individual builder for an instrument !

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Since the demise of Buffalo Brothers and the 5th String, I am left with Gryphon. But I think my new go-to store is the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds!
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Stutzman's Guitar Center

Bernunzio Uptown Music

Living in Rochester NY has its privileges. I would suggest to anyone within a couple hundred miles, that visiting either or both of these stores might provide access to a decent selection.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I’ve bought a couple of instruments from Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store. He’s a stand up guy and doesn’t try to get your last dime. For mandolins I call him first. Guitar Maverick is a guy that will give a decent price on some great guitars (JD McDonald). That’s about all I have. I have a contact for over a decade at guitar center and he has given me killer prices on many different things (Jeffery McDaniel).
    Last edited by opie wan; Nov-22-2017 at 8:12pm. Reason: Typo

Dig the Google Street View of Elderly, some guy holding up his guitar case out front.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7462...7i13312!8i6656

27. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Morgan Music, Lebanon, Mo
    Mass Street Music, Lawrence, Ks

Inventory, experience, service
    Mike Snyder

I have bought accessories from The Mandolin Store and recently bought a used Eastman 515 from Elderly. I would not hesitate to order from either again. The Eastman arrived with a set-up that was spot on.
    Out of tune and out of time.