Thread: Bridge Wheel Slipping & Restringing Questions

Question Bridge Wheel Slipping & Restringing Questions

Hello,

Newish mando player and cafe reader...

1. Bridge
    I was trying to lower the string action on my Loar LM-220 by loosening the strings and lowering the bridge wheels. I found on the G-string side that if I lowered it below a certain point, it would slip all the way to the bottom with a loud pop, like it was stripped. It took me a couple of times to figure out how high it had to be to avoid this...needless to say I didn't get the action lowered at all (and broke a string).

Does this mean I need a new bridge? Do all bridges fit any mandolin basically? Assuming so, Cumberland seems to be the recommended brand of choice. Are they that much better than a $15-20 generic one?

2. Restringing
    After breaking one string I decided to replace them all with EJ74's that everyone recommends. My wife insisted that I only need to replace the one because since I'm a beginner, would I really hear the difference between one new and 7 old strings? (She's a violin player and only replaces one.) Opinions?

I watched a few YouTube videos and tried this method (fast forward to 1:15):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVXKp5fIKc

I ended up breaking the two new E strings in the process. Do you think the way this is done it pinches the string against itself and cuts it? Video for a stringing method you prefer?

I haven't cut the excess string, can I re-do the other strings, or are there pinch points now that they are under tension that I shouldn't mess with?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Bridge Wheel Slipping & Restringing Questions

You can take the bridge to the hardware store and show them the post/wheel. You can buy new post (setscrew) or use simple hex nut with thin washer instead of the wheel if that is faulty. Very likely the thread will be metric M3 on chinese mandolin.
    New bridge would have to be fitted to top surface and that is not job for beginner...
    Adrian

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... that's the way I put my strings on the post and I don't have breakage problems. I do bring them up to pitch slowly keeping an eye / ear on my tuner. People do disagree on the necessity of the wrap back under the string technique.
    If this mandolin was purchased new it may still be under warrantee so the repair of the bridge is the music store's problem. Otherwise as HoGo says a trip to the hardware store with the mandolin bridge in tow you will be able to get some replacement hardware. You can also just buy a cheap bridge on Ebay and use that hardware. Stewart MacDonald sells these parts but the shipping charge can be pricey. http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...wheel_Set.html

Strings aren't ridiculously expensive change all of them a couple or three times a year. You will notice as they wear out that the pitch gets "wonky" ie unstable and they don't stay in tune. The fret wears the string as the string wears the fret.
    If you have not yet downloaded Rob Meldrum's free setup book here on the Café you should. There is a wealth of mandolin care information in it. Luck.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Thanks! I used a loose hex nut and that seemed to lower the bridge but not too much. Good idea.