Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wienman F-5 at Gruhn's?

Default Re: Wienman F-5 at Gruhn's?

Nice looking mandolin! If I were in the market (and I'm not) for that style of mandolin, I'd give it consideration. Some day it would be fun to go to Nashville and try all these dream mandolins and do some hands on comparing. At this point in my mandolin journey, I would like some hands on time before laying down that kind of money. I am very happy with what I have and want in a mandolin spec, tone, feel and playability wise, so it would have to be something special. If the instrument speaks to you compared to all the other mandolins in Nashville at the time of comparison, then yeah, I think it would be worth it.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Teacher, repair person

I spent 15 minutes with this mandolin today while one of my students was trying out guitars downstairs.

It is a concert grade instrument with great tone and projection, good response across all the strings, and it does exactly what you tell it to do. It is a lot of mandolin for the money, and as good as or better than other mandolins costing much more.

George said that it is Wienman's third mandolin, but the maker has spent decades working on violins. It is a very fine instrument.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

From the positive posts i've read on here re.this mandolin - if somebody has the $5,500 US, & the mandolin sounds as good as you'd like,buy it & wait for the eventual price hike,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: Weinman F-5 at Gruhn's?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I like it all but the way the sunburst came out. That must be a hard thing to perfect
    I notice that a number of builders darken the sunburst way too much especially on the top and it appears that I am looking through a key hole. I also would prefer much less sunburst/vignette on the top and back but opinions vary and this is mine !
    Last edited by yankees1; Nov-26-2017 at 8:51am.

Rcc56 & Ivan,
    Thank you for taking the lead annd posting something positive.
    I agree with Scott. This forum has often been a place where many have found the strength and courage to build, and keep building, although they may face some struggles. It seems as though over the years there have been some who have begun to frequent this site with less than a positive view. Some posters seem to have left the forum location, and we don’t hear much from them. Could this be the reason. We may not ever know.
    With the positive take on this new-on-the-scene MANDOLIN luthier, our hope should be that they gain the strength and skills to continue to provide the mandolin world with more fine instruments to play.
    Builder Weinman, prasie to you for your instrument, and for the courage it took to tackle a more difficult to build instrument!!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

7. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

I had a really good look around the Weinman website yesterday & found absolutely nothing that i didn't like !!. The builder's slogan - ''Vintage by design'' seems appropriate. The instruments do seem to have that 'old look' about them. Honestly,seeing what i did see,if i was in the US looking for a high quality mandolin at a decent price,i'd be taking a VERY close look at these :-
    http://www.vintagebydesign.com/gallery.html,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I had a really good look around the Weinman website yesterday & found absolutely nothing that i didn't like !!. The builder's slogan - ''Vintage by design'' seems appropriate. The instruments do seem to have that 'old look' about them. Honestly,seeing what i did see,if i was in the US looking for a high quality mandolin at a decent price,i'd be taking a VERY close look at these :-
    http://www.vintagebydesign.com/gallery.html,
    Ivan
    You are correct Ivan and I am ! Had I wanted/needed another Bluegrass instrument ( I have an Ellis A and F5 w/red spruce tops) I would have bought the Wienman at Gruhn's but I am looking for an Engelman top mandolin. I have made contact with Wil Wienman and I hope to order one this week.
    Last edited by yankees1; Nov-27-2017 at 7:28am.

10. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Very nice website, great photography.
    With all the coverage the Wienman folks are getting here, I hope they sell some instruments!
    Not to nit pick but, I really kind of like the very slight “tumblehome” on the treble point that is so often left out on modern built F bodies. It’s only personal but, there’s something just aesthetically more pleasant than having that point just shooting off straight. Small details make the whole just a little more “tasteful”.
    The “Vintage by Design” is strange as a header, when the vintage design does carry the detail I’m talking about and,this is ignored by the builders.
    Good grief I’m getting more curmudgeonly by the hour!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

12. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I spoke ( over internet) with a man today that stopped by Gruhn's and played on several mandolins including an Altman, a Randy Wood and a Gibson and he told me the Wienman was in a different league than these other three and if he had any available cash he would have brought the Wienman home !! It must be a very good mandolin and Wienman, even if he is unknown must be quite a builder ! Some may think the price of $5500. is too high for an unknown builder but I think not, based on testimonials from people who have played it ! Even a Northfield is priced higher for the Artist model but it is a very good mandolin as well !

14. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I jokingly (maybe ?) mentioned to AlanN in an e-mail,that being in NC,he take a 440 mile round trip to look at & play a few Weinmans.
    I had to make a 500+ mile round trip to TAMCO in Brighton UK to play my first 'good' mandolin & i've been down twice in total.

I view having to travel as part of the fun in being able to choose a good instrument. I might be making a100 mile round trip some time this week to look at a 'used' parlour guitar that i'm thinking of buying.

Being 'unknown' is simply that - it doesn't rob a builder of his / her inherent skills. All the top builders were 'unknown' at one time & many mandolin players were able to buy their mandolins at a price far less than they'd pay now = get 'em while you can, especially as Mr Weinman seems to be building exceptionally fine sounding mandolins. The prices are only going to go one way,but hopefully not for a while (?),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I jokingly (maybe ?) mentioned to AlanN in an e-mail,that being in NC,he take a 440 mile round trip to look at & play a few Weinmans.
    I had to make a 500+ mile round trip to TAMCO in Brighton UK to play my first 'good' mandolin & i've been down twice in total.

I view having to travel as part of the fun in being able to choose a good instrument. I might be making a100 mile round trip some time this week to look at a 'used' parlour guitar that i'm thinking of buying.

Being 'unknown' is simply that - it doesn't rob a builder of his / her inherent skills. All the top builders were 'unknown' at one time & many mandolin players were able to buy their mandolins at a price far less than they'd pay now = get 'em while you can, especially as Mr Weinman seems to be building exceptionally fine sounding mandolins. The prices are only going to go one way,but hopefully not for a while (?),
    Ivan
    Looking in my crystal ball, I see Ivan coming to the USA just to see/play and purchase a Wienman !

Ordered a F5 Engelman top mandolin from the Wienman's today ! Gold EVO frets, gold Waverly tuners and gold James tailpiece ! To be delivered in 4-5 months ! Will post photos when it arrives !

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

From yankees1 - "..I see Ivan coming to the USA just to see/play and purchase a Wienman ! ". I'm long overdue for a trip back to my father's 'homeland',but i don't see one happening any time soon - unfortunately. I can't help but feel that maybe Mr Weinman's going to be quite busy when word spreads regarding his build quality - & deservedly so.

In view of him being regarded as a 'new guy',it would be interesting to know how many mandolins he's already built. What i see on his website weren't built by any 'beginner' - i see top grade,superbly built mandolins,that would grace any luthier's workbench,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I agree with you Ivan, that shop is well designed and in production! Maybe “newl” to the radar here but, there are guys out there that have been building for years we may or may not have heard of, or seen, except for a privileged few. Some of these amazing builders have even retired from the field, what we see and what we know are sometimes divided by a pretty fair margin.
    Also Ivan, if you do get over here and find yourself in the area, I’ve just repainted the guest room...
    Timothy F. Lewis

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

With all this publicity the asking price maybe should have been 15K.
    -Newtonamic

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Simonson View Post
    With all this publicity the asking price maybe should have been 15K.
    It will probably get there !

They ought to send a spiff to Mandolin Café! Or become a sponsor!
    Timothy F. Lewis

I'm thinking that thanks to the OP ''mcgroup53'',that we've discovered another top flight builder in Mr Weinman.

Timothy - i'd have been over to the US long before now if we didn't have 2 cats !. OK - it may sound stupid,but if i do come over,it'll be with my wife who's never visited the US. That would mean us putting the cats in a cat's home for the duration,& i just won't do it. Our animal companions are far more aware of 'things' than we ever imagined. I read recently that cat's memories stretch back at least 10 years. The only time we left our eldest cat with a friend of ours for 2 weeks while we were on holiday,he was half his weight when we got home - he simply wouldn't eat. Their lives & wellbeing a far more important to me than any holiday,& it would be very selfish of me to ask my wife to stay at home,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dylan & Russell.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	162655
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I'm thinking that thanks to the OP ''mcgroup53'',that we've discovered another top flight builder in Mr Weinman.

The only time we left our eldest cat with a friend of ours for 2 weeks while we were on holiday,he was half his weight when we got home -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dylan & Russell.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	162655
    Maybe, my wife should leave me for 2 weeks with that friend of yours. Perhaps it would work on me, too.

28. The following members say thank you to Hubs for this post:

Ivan, I fully understand the proper “pet responsibility” and laud you for being a caring pet owner!
    The offer is still open!
    Timothy F. Lewis

30. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Ivan, I fully understand the proper “pet responsibility” and laud you for being a caring pet owner!
    The offer is still open!
    Open your offer to all on the cafe ! I bet you would have some takers !

Thanks yankee!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Two players I correspond with made a trip to Gruhn's "WITHOUT" calling first and to see /play on this Wienman F5 but upon arrival found out it was sold and out the door !! Moral of the story--- call first ! But George said this Wienman wouldn't last long on his rack !

34. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I wish it had been me !!!!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandotool View Post
    I played thru most of Gruhn's mandolin inventory last month...first time to the new shop....had a nice visit W/ George and Joe Spann ....A/B'd thru all the Loars etc.. also came across a Wienman....a real knockout ....pushed all my buttons......and wasn't even played in yet..
    Keep an eye on this Wienman character...he'll be movin on up.......
    to the east side....etc..
    Capt. Obvious reporting
    Hey Buddy did you play that 41-42 F-5 with thee off center top burst that's been there for over 2 years? Also what about the 31 F-5?
    I heard that the MONTE was a real great one? Thanx.