Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel with my vintage mandolin

Default Travel with my vintage mandolin

Hello, I am a new member!

I am traveling to S. Korea this winter and plan to bring my 1921 Gibson F4. I am concerned about having it seized by customs, because it contains (probably) madagascar ebony- a protected species on the CITES list.

I started the process of getting a CITES passport for the axe, an appraisal from Gruhn, and the application from US Fish and Wildlife.

Does anyone have any personal experience with such issues?

I could just bring an inexpensive Kentucky model, but the F4 Sounds way better.

Thanks!

DaveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	guitars-41.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	954.1 KB 
ID:	162976

Default Re: Travel with my vintage mandolin

Take the Kentucky
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

3. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Definitely take the Kentucky. Is a little better tone worth the risks?

Phil

Take the Kentucky and leave the F4 with me
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

6. The following members say thank you to G7MOF for this post:

gtani7 

Take the Kentucky. I've don't know if you've dealt with Customs officers before, but even with the proper paperwork, you might have 10 or 15 seconds to state your case. They have a lot of power. It is not like having an intellectual discussion with a fellow music fan or even a college professor. You won't be able to "convince" them of anything. They are cops looking for contraband. Sometimes with great eagerness. That being said, sometimes the limited time frame works in your favor and they open the case, close it, and send you through. But, still not worth the risk, IMHO.

8. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

+1 on the Kentucky. The customs agents are not all that savvy anywhere and are looking for things to do. One might say your binding is ivory (it is not) and confiscate your mandolin or, as you say, the ebony, Madagascar or not. I would also be wary of airline baggage handlers and any other possibilities of someone stealing it. Why ask for trouble? Are you a pro on tour? If not, I would stick with a disposable mandolin. Kentucky is not a slouch anyway.

While traveling, you ca dream of how wonderful it will feel to play your F4 when you are home. BTW I still maintain that 1921 is the sleeper year for excellent sounding and playing Gibsons.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

===========

If there is even the SLIGHTEST HINT OF CHANCE that someone could take F-4, I wouldn't even consider taking it . . . .

12. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

G7MOF 

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

And some nefarious customs agents know exactly what they are confiscating despite clearances. Take the Kentucky.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I packed my old 22 A4 in a duffel bag, surrounded by clothes
    and then strapped the stuffed duffel bag on a back pack frame,

to make the bus plane bus logistics easier...
    and it was fine, so well padded around the hard shell case, as checked luggage.

PDX to SFO & Back. in the year 2000..

[OK, so, no CITES issues on a domestic Flight ]

I could just bring an inexpensive Kentucky model, but the F4 Sounds way better.
    Paying gig where your sound is important?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I can confiscate that F4 for you if you like... or you can just leave it with me to keep it company while you’re gone.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

Kentucky!!!! Don't let "THEM" take your Gibby!!!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Yes. Kentucky.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by davegoltz View Post
    I am traveling to S. Korea this winter and plan to bring my 1921 Gibson F4. I am concerned about having it seized by customs, because it contains (probably) madagascar ebony- a protected species on the CITES list.
    Airline travel? Consider yourself lucky if it makes it as far a customs.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Airline travel? Consider yourself lucky if it makes it as far a customs.
    Well, I was going to carry it on.

I am not getting paid, I am going to the Olympics. At the winter Olympics 4 years ago a group of American athletes and coaches were playing bluegrass in the athlete village, and I regretted not bringing an instrument.

I think it even got written up in a magazine last time.

Thanks, all!

Dave

Adrian Minarovic

My friend has one just like yours aprox. '21 F4 and his fretboard is most likely very dark Brazilian RW, not ebony. If yours has similar board you can get into serious trouble.
    Adrian

21. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Well, I was going to carry it on....
    ...At the winter Olympics 4 years ago a group of American athletes and coaches were playing bluegrass in the athlete village, and I regretted not bringing an instrument.
    I didn't mean you shouldn't bring a mandolin at all, just that it would be smarter to bring the Kentucky.

Despite the written A.L. policies, there's no guarantee you'll be allowed to bring your instrument as a 'carry-on' item. Some gate agents/flight attendants are thrilled to help you stow it safely in the overhead...sometimes even an out-of-the-way alcove they use to hide their own stuff. Others seem to have it in for anyone traveling with an instrument.

And when everything goes well (no problems with the flight attendants and you're lucky enough to board while overhead space is still available) and you're all strapped in, you get to watch some other poor slob try to jam his briefcase on top of your mandolin.

Then, you still have all those customs issues to consider.

I'd take the Kentucky.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Despite possible problems with storage and carrying-on the mandolin, are there any tales as to problems at the customs and a mandolin actually being seized? I mean, from the outside it’s easy to say „take the Kentucky“.
    I for my part have never had problems flying across the Atlantic with an expensive Gibson F5, about 10 times over the past 20 years.

Take the Kentucky! And, hope you have an awesome trip!! You competing? (Feel free to ignore the question or pm me if you prefer, just curious)...
    Chuck

another vote for the Kentucky here

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Take the Kentucky! And, hope you have an awesome trip!! You competing? (Feel free to ignore the question or pm me if you prefer, just curious)...
    I am not competing. Staff.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Despite possible problems with storage and carrying-on the mandolin, are there any tales as to problems at the customs and a mandolin actually being seized? I mean, from the outside it’s easy to say „take the Kentucky“.
    I for my part have never had problems flying across the Atlantic with an expensive Gibson F5, about 10 times over the past 20 years.
    There is a larger problem that exists with air travel beyond the specifics of items containing Brazilian rosewood and ivory. My friend equates it to a "fun tax", that is to say an hourly airport employee can randomly punish those who appear to be having more fun -- traveling the world, playing music, etc. -- than said employee is having. A person in this position has a lot of power, regardless of their title or pay grade. Another friend is a professional musician who just came back from London, they seized his guitar and he came home without it. He knew to take his beater just in case. He got over there just fine, but upon returning the airline said his case didn't provide enough protection to check his guitar and they wouldn't let him carry it on, so he ended up just leaving it, so he could get home. Sure, he could have spent another day, bought a new hardshell case, and checked it through the next day with hopefully a nicer person at the counter, but why play their game? I guess because it is the only game in town, if you need to fly somewhere! I'm sure you've heard of the mega-store in Alabama that the airlines use to "sell" seized and unclaimed baggage -- it is full of cameras, computers, coats, furs, luggage, instruments, etc. -- but that is another story! It is a helpless situation to be in. When I was younger, I would talk back to these agents, asking to see their supervisors, I even asked to see the police on more than one occasion. I was put in one of those rooms like they have on Law and Order, to give you an idea. You are dealing with people who have no sense of humor. The can "detain" you for hours. Once, because I was carrying on my key ring a vintage Coca-Cola bottle owner from the 30's that belonged to my Dad. TSA said it was a "weapon" and wanted it. I refused to give it up on principle. Most people would just give it up, which they are counting on. Most of this small stuff goes straight into their pockets, I'm guessing. I've belabored my point, but even if you take the Kentucky, it can be confiscated, if the person in charge has a bone to pick. OTOH, I can see being part of the Olympics and all the fanfare, might work in your favor and you might just get pushed on through without issue....still, I would take the Kentucky!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I am not competing. Staff.

Dave
    Gotcha! Thanks, and safe travels!!
    Chuck

Thanks a lot, Jeff. I guess you got a point there. My further thoughts on this subject have no mandolin content. So I better stop at this point.

31. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

I am not getting paid, I am going to the Olympics. At the winter Olympics 4 years ago a group of American athletes and coaches were playing bluegrass in the athlete village, and I regretted not bringing an instrument.
    Have a great time, with whatever instrument you bring. And make sure to get some photos or a cell phone video back to us if there is an Olympic Village Bluegrass Band! ;-)
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Last time I flew with an instrument was quitr a few years ago but I had a double tennis bag as my carry-on and was able to fit my Flatiron A5-2 in its HSC in one of the bag's compartments. They may be stricter these days.

I still would take the lesser valued instrument. I don't know what security is like in South Korean hotels.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1