Thread: Top removal/replacement

Default Top removal/replacement

So here's the thing. I've built a couple of flat-tops. On a whim I bought some spruce to carve a top. But I don't really have time anymore to build a whole mandolin. So I'm wondering, just for fun, could I find an older (probably Asian) A5, remove the pressed top, and put a carved top on it? Would I need to remove the neck? I'd make an oval hole with a 12-fret neck. I realize the back would be pressed, not carved. I'm just wondering whether it's doable.

I know many of you would think, why bother? But still...
    Cary Fagan

Default Re: Top removal/replacement

I've replaced the top on an A model mando, without removing the neck or fretboard. The first thing I did was make a cut into the fretboard extension all the way to the 15th fret crosspiece to relieve pressure on the top and fretboard. With some careful scrapes and cuts using sharp chisels and whatnot, I was able to take out the rest of the fretboard extension. Then make sure all glue was removed from the bottom of the fretboard that is left hanging over the top where the extension was. That made top removal much easier. Put on a new top, bind it, and fashioned a new extension. It took some time to make sure the extension was an exact fit. Just go slow.

3. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

You can buy pre-made rims with necks. And a pre-carved back. I'd go that route. Taking a top off a cheap instrument without removing the neck is a very risky and time consuming process since many of these use very difficult glues and finishes. Doing this with a neck removal is equally as risky and time consuming. Who knows what join they used, or glue? Plus, doing this without the result being ugly is not easy at all.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

5. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

I've saved a couple of mandolins that were important to their owners.. I first removed the fret board and extension without much of a problem.. one had a screw thru the extension and would have been a real pain if not the fret board removed.. A thin heated putty knife works very well to pry off the fret board and top, maybe even two.. Go slow and heat the knife several times, the glue gives up easily.. Again, go slow.. Replaceing plywood with solid wood will make a huge difference in the sound of the mando.....
    kterry

A word of warning, cutting the fretboard can be detrimental to your instrument, some neck blocks do not extended under the top of the instrument,their connection to the instrument top is less than 3/4 of an inch, by cutting the board you remove the necks side strength, if the instrument takes a knock or bump, the neck and neck block are no longer locked in place by the fretboard, so the sides fracture and the neck breaks away from the instrument.

If the neck block extends under the fretboard for a couple of inches, then totally okay to cut the fretboard extension away as the neck block provides the side stability

Steve

8. The following members say thank you to mirwa for this post: