Thread: Albany NY. Any good music venues for acoustic music?

Default Albany NY. Any good music venues for acoustic music?

A friend is having to be there for a while and she was saying it's just hip/hop and rock. She's looking for a better musical experience. She likes bluegrass, acoustic jazz, choro, etc.
    Al in PT

Default Re: Albany NY. Any good music venues for acoustic music?

I don't know about Albany proper but Hudson, NY is not too far and this Helsinki on Hudson has a good lineup.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think Albany has other things going on. I'm not local, but cafe member Michael Eck is from around that region, so you could see the Rambling Jug Stompers in the area, I imagine. Saratoga Springs is about 45 minutes away, and has lots of music options, and Grey Fox is in the Summer, also nearby.

I have an idea but no knowledge that Irish music and contradances are active in the area.

There's the Egg and the Linda in Albany, and Cafe Lena and the Parting Glass in Saratoga. Troy Music Hall, too. All of them book bluegrass and other acoustic music, to a greater or lesser degree.

Spindels is a cool little dive - my fiddle player does gypsy jazz there with various guitar players, Saratoga has a lot of folk music and BG, there is a last Friday of the month bluegrass jam up in Troy at the Daily Grind-at least there used to be maybe Zak will pick it back up. One Caroline and Parting Glass in Saratoga usually have acoustic music instead of rock. First night in Saratoga is more acts than you can shake a stick at. I admit BG/ acoustic does not rule in Albany - it is mostly electric rock, but there are some very talented local bands. Blind Crow for example.