Thread: What are these "braces"? (NMC)

Blog Entries

Default What are these "braces"? (NMC)

So I was playing my 17-year-old Epiphone acoustic yesterday. Despite not being an objectively great guitar, it sounds really good, and I was considering installing a pickup. I was noticing that it's getting the classic flat top "belly" and wondering what to do about it, when I heard a clank inside. I shook it around and out came a little wooden piece. I looked inside and there was another one, just wedged in between the top and back at a weird angle. I pulled it out. Here they are:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weird braces.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	684.2 KB 
ID:	162412

Same length, but not same thickness. No sign of any glue joints. They're not shaped like the rest of the braces.

So what are these weird soundpost-y things? Why were they in my guitar? Did they come loose because of the top pulling forward?

And most important: Should I abandon the idea of using this guitar for very much longer?

Default Re: What are these "braces"? (NMC)

Did you get the guitar new or used? What repair work has been done to it that you know of?

I wonder if you are close to the mark when you mention "sound-posty things"? maybe the previous owner noticed the dip in the top and thought that it might be qan idea to insert the two braces to keep the top from falling in further? Other than this I have no ideas! The lack of any glue residue would suggest they had been placed inside under friction pressure, maybe.
    Last edited by John Kelly; Nov-19-2017 at 1:40pm.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Did you get the guitar new or used? What repair work has been done to it that you know of?
    I bought it new. It was my very first guitar, in one of those "starter pack" deals from a now-defunct local music store.

It's never had any repair work, other than what I've done -- new saddle and fret polishing.

It's also never been out of my possession, so that tells me it shipped from the factory with these things.

So -- do I just leave them out and let the belly do its thing? The bridge is still fully affixed, so it's not in any immediate danger of pulling off. (Again, this is a guitar that maybe cost $150 when we bought it around the year 2000. I'm fine with it being a project guitar, but I was hoping to avoid having to buy a new acoustic.)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post
    (Again, this is a guitar that maybe cost $150 when we bought it around the year 2000. I'm fine with it being a project guitar, but I was hoping to avoid having to buy a new acoustic.)Thanks!
    Me, I'd be looking forward to buying a new acoustic guitar

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Teacher, repair person

Just looked over Drew's guitar, and the "mystery braces" are indeed not braces at all and had no reason for being there. Why they were in there when the guitar left the factory is anybody's guess.

Back in the day when we sold new Gibson instruments, we had a new L-5CES shipped from the Factory with a couple of rough sticks inside, used to prop the sides agains the mold. They were very tightly wedged, and clearly visible through the F-holes. Simply left in at the time of manufacture, and not noticed until we chopped them out upon arrival here.

Could be something like that. . .

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Ford For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Me, I'd be looking forward to buying a new acoustic guitar

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Ha! I’d love a new guitar. My hope was that, as a laminate guitar, this one would be a good candidate for installing a pickup.

Big thanks to Bob for checking out my guitar and encouraging me to continue my tinkering and repairing. I encourage anybody to find their local repair guy, learn some things, and keep this tradition alive.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I suppose it's really "opened up" now, right?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff