Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jazz tune of the month anyone?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jazz tune of the month anyone?

I'll take a front row seat in the peanut gallery. Should be fun!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Pete, yes, and thanks!
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Let's do it!

Yes please.
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

Thank you and ditto to all the above.

Sign me up!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Great idea Pete!

I will post the backup mp3s and a chord chart on the decided tune each month, although I can't submit the written melody notes due to probable copyright violation. Each person will need to learn the melody on their own.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Excellent..... one a month is something I can get into. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Lead sheets (melody and chords) can be purchased for one dollar each (or so) at outlets such as sheetmusicdirect.com. For example, the Real Book-style lead sheet for Honeysuckle Rose is $0.99.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

12. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I'm in, thank you!

Is this going to be a social group or forum thread? The former doesn't work on mobile.

14. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Is this going to be a social group or forum thread?
    Thread
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

16. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Mobile freaks rejoice!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    ... Is this going to be a social group or forum thread? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Thread
    Good choice, IMO.

I think you'll likely get lots more participation here in the regular forum threads.

Among other reasons - the following is little stuff but it all adds up - these forum threads here have many more useful tools that make it easier and more inviting for us non-tech-experts to post stuff. Such as, the ability to quickly and easily:

• "Subscribe" to threads so that we get email notification when someone replies to a thread we've posted in.

• Post pictures, and PDF files, mp3 audio files, and TablEdit tab, without having to do any extra steps - all the tools we need are right here in the "Go Advanced" reply box.

• Quote other posters by clicking the "Reply With Quote" link. So we don't have to manually copy/paste text and/or make people wonder who we're replying to.

• Thank other people without having to actually type anything, by clicking the "Thanks" link.

• More text-format options (different sizes).

• Create lists, both 'bulleted' and 'numbered' (even though lists don't seem to be used very often, it's a handy option to make things easier to read).

Whereas, as far as I've seen, the Social Groups have none of the above options, at the time of this writing. I don't know why, must be something different with the software.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this Jazz Tune Of The Month thing. I don't even play jazz yet but who knows, if it's approachable enough as Pete said with backing tracks & chord-names provided, I might be able to learn something new.

I've always been curious about jazz but it seemed so complex, especially the harmonies/chords, I didn't know where to start.

I will post the backup mp3s and a chord chart on the decided tune each month, although I can't submit the written melody notes due to probable copyright violation. Each person will need to learn the melody on their own.
    I can usually figure out basic melodies by ear, at least in other genres... the more complicated stuff I slow down to half-speed and study it for a while... haven't tried it with jazz yet... hope it isn't too difficult. I'm thinking it would be hard to write down some of the more complex melodies anyway, might be actually *easier* (maybe?) to learn the melody part by ear...

The place I always get hung up is trying to figure out (decide on) complex chords, anything beyond a simple I-IV-V and maybe a couple of minor chords, I can sometimes tell it needs something different but no idea what. So...

Having the chords-names and backing tracks provided, will be a great learning tool.

Thanks Pete!

P.S.: I won't be *voting* on tunes right away, because I don't know enough about jazz to know which tunes I might want to play, or which tunes I'd be capable of playing. I will just have to try the monthly tunes and see. But this will be a fun thread to keep up with regardless of whether I vote and/or post videos.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Google 'name of song' lead sheet or 'name of song' sheet music.

There will be numerous jpgs to choose from. Some may be melody only, others two-stave piano, or transcriptions of solos. Some may have the gray 'sample' on the page because they are the first-page-sample from one of those "pay-4" sites. Sometimes you can get the whole song, but do you really need to the music for a missing repeated phrase or verse? Print it out if you're OK with the image size, or save the jpg, or use the snipping tool so you can enlarge it later.

If you're so concerned with copyright violation, most of those YouTube things are probably violations. Someone has an out-of-print LP and so they put an audio transfer on YouTube.... and everyone is happy with that. or.... OK let me demonstrate how to play this Jimi Hendrix tune....

Also.... how about MIDI? There are still plenty of MIDI collections on the web. Some are individual musician's, others may be some academic project. Most of the notation programs probably have "input midi" option and the entire score will appear on the screen. I used to use a program called MIDInotate (the version I have is old and won't run on Windows 8+). Midia can vary in quality to crude and amateurish to pro arrangments. (also MIDIs can be played at any tempo you want and there is no pitch change)

I'd use MIDIs for two main reasons. 1) to pull out/isolate the rhythm figures (piano, guitar, etc) or horn section stuff or bass lines that is/are buried in the mix. Load in some James Bond theme, or "Perry Mason" and you can SEE what is gong on in the conductor's score. (That's one reason Beatles' midis were often so good...some nerd copied and replicated the arrangements right out of The Beatles: Complete Scores book! With rock stuff, I was much more interested in the rhythm playing/riffs/figures; (the lead guitar solos are always upfront and ear accessible.)

1a) There would also be MIDIs of individual MIDI'd instruments which would be a bear to transcribe. Various banjo (3-finger and/or clawhammer) tunes inputed by a midified version of the instrument. There was a bagpipe site that did that... great for actually seeing what the ornamentation are, and on highland pipes, it's a nightmare unless that is actually your instrument.

2a) ETHNIC MUSIC, especially from regions that have their own notational systems and printed music may be impossible to find in western standard notation. 20 years back, when I was really digging into Asian music, I asked a guy (can't remember his name at the moment) either from Comando or the Cafe who was living in Hong Kong to see if there were any books of Chinese ensemble music/scores (in western notation). And outside of examples in big reference books in libraries, there really wasn't any. However I found a site/project at a university in Taiwan that had had replicated Chinese chamber ensembles performing in MIDI. Load the midi into the program and voila..... instant score of the music. Take the tunes that I like, print them out and put them onto a comb binder and compile my own "book". Also did similar stuff for Thai morlam and lukthung songs (att Bert Dievert!) by Pompuang Duangchan, Jintara Poonlarp. Also Okinanawan minyo sanchin tunes.

But you could find midi-fied folk ensemble projects in European countries. There was a great site that did that for Portuguese tunes. And you also could find stuff that was Greek rembetika, laika in nature. I've got a box of old floppy discs of stuff I'd saved. (And still have a PC that has the floppy slot, so data rot isn't in play. (I really should move all that stuff onto data discs)

Oh yeah...medieval and Renaissance ensemble stuff too, if you're into any of that. How about some of the Gervaise dances?

Of course...everything you need is on the recording if your ears are good enough to pull it out. But having some visual reference is a big plus when it is alien sounding (to you) stuff, or the arrangements are so dense it hard to isolate particular parts.

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info everyone. As Niles pointed out, a search for any song title plus “music notation” or some similar term will often bring up at least partial lead sheets.

As Jazz arrangements will often have different chord sets, I will try to use common accepted progressions for these. My favorite source is the Sher volumes of The New Real Books. These usually take definitive versions of tunes and use those melodies and changes.

For tune choices, I will draw heavily on the site Jazz Standards top 100

http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/

But of course feel free to PM me suggestions. I am thrilled with the participation so far and look forward to this! 🙂🎻🐓🎻🐓

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Hi all,

I hang out at the Jazz Guitar Forum quite a bit. They have a Tune of the Month where:

A standard Jazz tune is selected

The moderator posts backup files of the tune, usually a couple different tempos

Players of all levels record a video of themselves playing the tune using the backup files provoided or their own and post to YouTube

They link the Youtube vids to the forum post for that months tune so others can view it

Anyone interestred in doing this? I'd be willing to pick the tunes (of course taking suggestions) and put up the backing tracks.

At the Jazz Guitar Forum, a number of players (not everyone) after doing this ask the other players (from beginners to pros) for feedback and many players feel it helps them work on their playing and especially their Jazz improvising. It also helps players find others with a common interest.

If anyone wants to do this say so here. We could start this in December
    I would.

This sounds like fun.

Im game to try.
    2008 Weber Vintage F
    Eastman DGM1, DGM3 Mandola, MDO-305 Octave
    2014 National Resophonic RM-1 with hot plate

I am interested, thanks for the offer.

Great idea Pete, I've been wanting to dip my toe into the jazzier side of things. This seems like the perfect vehicle!

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

As Jazz arrangements will often have different chord sets, I will try to use common accepted progressions for these. My favorite source is the Sher volumes of The New Real Books. These usually take definitive versions of tunes and use those melodies and changes.
    You prefer those changes to the "real" Real Books that Hal Leonard now publishes? Sure, even after going legal some of the changes still need corrections, but mostly that is the definitive working jazz player's guide.

I do NOT find the Sher versions of the chord changes to be "definitive", sorry to say. The Sher books are well written and researched, but are highly stylized in terms of chord changes.

The chords in the Wong book are much more of the real ones I learned on gigs from older jazz players than the highly substituted ones in the Sher "New" Real Book series. Often I think they are not substitute changes but just are wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Jazz.../dp/0881889792

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=used&qid=&sr=

buy used!

Anyway, having the BASIC right changes is essential. The changes in the Sher books are just too much for beginners - and even for many intermediate players too - and like I say, I do not even always agree with the substitutions!

My apologies for not making this a PM, I think that chord changes are an essential part of playing jazz and to use overly complex - and to my school of jazz, often wrong - changes would put this whole experiment off on the wrong foot.

30. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

David, I know what you mean and don't take any offence. I do find the Sher books in MY own gigging experience to be what players often play. I will say that I don't play swing era gigs often, usually I playing with players who play bop era and later. I should have clarified that.

There are usually a number of chord progressions that fit any Jazz tune. The biggest arguments I hear between musicians are what are "correct".

Any of the progressions I post, take with a grain of salt. If you want to use others, feel free!!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

The simpler "Vanilla changes" are always the starting point. Once that is established, then you can look at chord substitutions, reharmonization, transitory connector chords, etc and how and why you get to those.

No difference than learning a fiddle tune using the basic skeleton melody before embellishing it with note-ier and/or more syncopated versions and then onto deviations from the original melody with motivic transposition/manipulation etc. etc. etc.

In any case, unless you know what the starting point was, one can't understand the fancified end result and the process of arriving at it.

NH

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

I'd like to do it too, thanks for offering to lead us
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com