Thread: Switching from ABC2Win to ABC2Linux?

Default Switching from ABC2Win to ABC2Linux?

I'm making the switch from Windows to Linux, and one of the last programs I need to find an equivalent for is ABC2Win. Although not supported for a good while now, it's been my go-to tunes notator/writer. Searching for Linux equivalents leads me to many that seem like they're orphaned, or a command-line, or are a major pain to install. So for you Linux users, what's your favorite ABC editor/writer?

Thx,
    CD

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Switching from ABC2Win to ABC2Linux?

I had MuseScore, but didn't really use it, so I cannot say how easy it would be for you to adjust to.
    Congratulations on the switch. Don't recall it being hard to install or use, though.
    What Linux version are you going to. I use Ubuntu and find it quite easy to use. Very little command line work needed (though some especially if you have issues).
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

I remember trying MuseScore at some point, and liking it, but I don't think it did ABC. Looks like it does now. It's also part of my software repository, so it'll be easy to install. I'm on Mint 18, and like it a lot. It's everything Windows should be.

The advantage of ABC2Win is the ability to print more than one tune on a page. Hopefully I can find this. I am dual-booting at the moment, so there's no pressure.

As a follow-up, I have gotten EasyABC installed under Linux. Needs to be run from the command line, but seems to be designed that way. Some dependencies for playing the music are missing, and also for handling MIDI output, but the basics are there. Seems like it will do what I want.