Thread: Incremental Improvements in Kentucky KM-250 and 500

Default Incremental Improvements in Kentucky KM-250 and 500

I am a guitar player and am looking for my first mandolin. I have spent a fair amount of time researching and think I want to start with a Kentucky mandolin. I'm pretty darn sure I will enjoy the mandolin and keep at it with lessons and lots of practice (as I am doing now with guitar). Given that I don't want to have to start with a cheap mandolin that I will soon want to upgrade, I figure I should "buy my third mandolin first." I did that with guitars and RVs, and I'd rather skip the process this time.

The first instrument I'd consider is the KM-150, but I also have been intrigued by the KM-250 with the carved back and radiused fretboard. The KM-500 (if I can scratch together the $$ for one) is also a candidate. So, how much of an incremental improvement in the instrument is there between the 150, the 250 and the 500? Do the dollar increases parallel the quality improvements?

I haven't been able to lay hands on any Kentucky mandolins in my local area, so your input will be very helpful in my final decision.

Default Re: Incremental Improvements in Kentucky KM-250 and 500

I can't answer the difference between a 150, 250 and 500 but I can say the 150 is a great instrument for the money. Personally, I like that I have a "beater" instrument after upgrading that still sounds and plays well. My KM-150 is still my "around the campfire" instrument.

The 150 is a good first instrument, but speaking for myself, I would jump into a radiused board like the KM250 or 500 asap. Nothing against the 150, but I think the km250 is definitely worth it.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    The 150 is a good first instrument, but speaking for myself, I would jump into a radiused board like the KM250 or 500 asap. Nothing against the 150, but I think the km250 is definitely worth it.
    Thanks for your insight. I am leaning toward the 250 just because of the radiused board. Is the increase in price from the KM-250 to the KM-500 justified in the increased quality of the instrument?

I'll chime in here. This is something I have trouble with myself, and I have seen a WHOLE lot of these in person.

I don't really have a clear answer.... There are slight improvements as you move up, but you are obviously paying for those and the differences are not huge in the mandolin's tone. This goes along with anything though. You typically double the price for something if you want a significant difference in quality.

The 150 stands out from a cost standpoint. In a real world situation, it will work just as well as a 500 series.

The 250 gets you a radiused fingerboard
    The 500 has an Ebony fingerboard.

Other differences are a light difference in the grades of wood (otherwise the same woods are used)
    Slight improvement in the tuners on higher models
    Cosmetics

In the end though, a 500 does not blow away a 150, so it is a really tough call as to what is the best value. I would say that it comes down to personal preference.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

6. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Rdeane 

If you want to start with your third mandolin, look to spend nort of $1000. A more prudent(financially) move would be to make your first instrument good enough to keep as your beater, and for that either the 150 or 250 will do nicely. Avoid what I'd call your "second" mandolin which the 500 to 700 series would be. I've found those to not be signicantly better. Move right to a 900 or better, or a used small shop instrument. I've played a few used Weber A styles lately that were $1000-1500 that were a very large upgrade and something like that should be your long term goal.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Robert and Brick, you just made my decision a whole lot easier. I suspected the KM-500 wasn't a huge improvement over the 250, and as long as the 250 will serve me well until I'm ready for a big upgrade, it seems that's the logical choice for me. I especially like the radiused fingerboard and better tuners. Seems like even if I got the 150 and upgraded the tuners, I would be almost at the price of the 250 anyway without the radiused fingerboard. Thanks for your help, gentlemen!