Thread: Any info/experiences with the KM-750, KM-755, KM-756?

Default Any info/experiences with the KM-750, KM-755, KM-756?

How do these compare to a Breedlove Crossover FF or a Eastman MD515? Yes, I know there are subtle differences. But how do they sound? The Kentucky 750, 755, 756 along with the Breedlove Crossover are IN STOCK and available now. The Eastman isn't. The only Eastman in stock is 615 and that's a SIGNIFICANT price jump that I probably cannot do.

What would YOU buy?

Thanks for the help.
    John

Default Re: Any info/experiences with the KM-750, KM-755, KM-756?

Hi John,

Any of these would be a nice mandolin for you, but they do differ quite a bit (the various Kentucky models don't).

What would YOU buy?
    I am a big fan of the Eastman, and if I were buying for myself, that would be what I would get. I would also be open to dropping down to the MD315 if the MD515 was pushing the budget.

I have worked on and played all of these.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks for the help. After all was said and done, I walked away with a Eastman MD314 Classic Mandolin & Gigbag from Elderly's Instruments in Lansing, Michigan. Since I can't play for crap yet, I had several folks who were looking at other mandolins examine and play quite a few different ones. ALL of them agreed that despite the oval hole on the F5 body (versus all of the others having ff holes and that's "MY" personal issue only), overall this played and sounded the best out of everything under $1300. In fact, one of the fellas who WAS playing a $2400 mandolin, ended up taking pictures of this model. Pretty sure he's coming back for it. Said he isn't inspired by what he currently has but the MD314 played so well he simply lit up, absolutely impressed with the sub $700 Eastman!

So when I finally am able to play decently Bluegrass go ahead and laugh at my little oval hole because I don't really care! Got myself an Eastman.
    Last edited by John Legg; Nov-17-2017 at 9:48pm.

John,

On the Cafe here, the Eastman 300 series is well know as one of the standout values in mandolins. I am not sure this is mainstream knowledge, simply for the fact that Eastman mandolins are not something that the majority of music stores stock. There are plenty of potential mandolin shoppers that never get a chance to see an Eastman in person.

Though Eastman is my preference as well, you wouldn't have went wrong with the others.

I also like the oval holes. Great choice!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post: