Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to buy?

Default When to buy?

First time posting! I couldn't find a good answer in previous threads so here goes...

I was recently given the green light to start shopping for a new mandolin (hooray!). I'm looking primarily at US made F styles along the lines of a Weber Yellowstone, Collings MF, Gibson F5G, Ratliff R5, etc. I'm realistic enough about MAS to know that I'm probably not getting a forever instrument. I want a nice box to play until something better/different comes along. Maybe I'll get lucky? Either way, I'm looking primarily at used instruments so I won't lose a lot if I sell/trade up later on.

Is there a time of year that is better for finding a good selection of used mandolins? With the holidays around the corner, I don't know if it would be better to wait a couple of months or not. Any thoughts or suggestions from more seasoned shoppers would be much appreciated!

Default Re: When to buy?

I haven’t noticed a big change in price, but right now tends to be a good time in variety, since the holidays sometimes motivate the accumulators among us to clear out an instrument. Maybe dealers will be more motivated come March?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdchapman View Post
    Maybe dealers will be more motivated come March?
    I don't know about dealers, but used offerings from private sellers often seem to peak during tax season in April.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

The Cafe Classifieds constitute the best school in town. If you keep a close eye on them you can't help but get a sense of the market and its swings and dips. Very interestingly, the number of ads in the Mandolins For Sale section seems to have grown steadily in recent years. I remember when the number of ads was consistently around the 300 mark; now the average is closer to 500. That's a huge study resource as well as the biggest single mandolin shopping source.

I have noticed a surge in quality instruments for sale around the time when US taxes are due.

6. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

gtani7 

As said above, I've usually found the times around the holidays and around tax time to be best for buying used. And the worst times to be selling used.

But that's just my general observation. There are folks all the time who are motivated to move something along at a great price. You just need to luck to see it and pounce before someone else does.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

I've got and been offered really good deals in the spring from some dealers for some reason, it was high dollar mandos? Like new MM or an prewar F-5 that's been sitting for a long while or like that's the time they want to get last years models sold before Gibson sends new? I don't know. Ya can't go wrong with an F5-G, My 1st good mando I sure miss her! I bought new for 3G in 01 so it had the Derrington pedigree, it was a great mando, I've seen some of these go for 2500 and up. F-9's pry sound great, never played one.
    But today there are so many GREAT builders out there what to choose, I've owned a lot of independent maker mandolins such as Weber,Phoenix,Wynn,Stiver,Gilchrist,Paganoni, numerous Gibson F's etc...and well don't anymore, I really culled the herd! Mainly because of a few Great Gibson's I have, the ones I have seem to sound better "to me" than the others I've owned, hold value or go up.

I'd have to say that while there are times when some folks seem to be needing cash (tuition payment time for schools, tax time, prior to the holidays, etc.) the opportunity to buy the right instrument is not something that you can plan. One Christmas I had just sold an expensive instrument and was looking for something else, and lo and behold, nothing. Could not find something I liked despite an intensive search. So, go out and play as many instruments that you can, and if you find something you like, buy it. Despite what people have been saying about the market, there are still lots of folks out buying- look how long that Ellis A lasted at TME, or the Kimble 2-point, etc.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

10. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

The time to buy is when you play one and it tells you it’s yours!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

IF I was to advertise a mandolin for sale ( which I'm not) I would advertise in November for the Christmas season or just prior to when taxes are due !

I think the time to buy is when you have done youre homework and you know your target.

Imho, once you're educated, then timing is less important.
    So use the classifieds, gruhn, carter vintage, elderly, and the forum dealers to get an idea. It will take a few months, in all likelihood. Depends on what you're seeking and how often they appear for sale.

Youll know fair market. Then, you consider price and condition, and, availability.

Patience, sure. This is The Key. I love a deal, and if you know the market, you're better prepared......, and ready money.

But, in my mando travels, i see minimal savings.....maybe 10% or so, give or take. Im prone to pulling the trigger if i find what i want, rather than waiting for a slightly better deal.

The first mando i bought was a mint 02 fern, priced $2k under market, found at an electric guitar dealer, likely a trade they wanted to move. Or, ignorance of the dealer. Specialized sellers, mando, vintage, imho, often are high.

I bit the bullit, even though at the time it was a stretch.. best deal ive gotten on a nice mando.

Last mando i bought, a high end boutique, i paid $500 more than i might have, within the range, but a tad high, but i trusted the seller, and could return it, and could pay by card. How i perceive the sellers integrity is worth something when buying long distance. And.......havent seen one for sale since. I didn't try to negotiate, and, im glad i acted.

Each is unique, condition, color, etc. I ascribe to , if you're certain, dont niggle, within reason. You should know what is "fair". If so, then decide what to offer, or pay. Hard bargains....sometimes they come back to bite you, sometimes not.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Nov-16-2017 at 9:25am.

Nice looking Gibson F5G and a Weber Yellowstone in the classifieds right now. Both seem pretty reasonably priced. The Gibson is pretty recent and has some nice looking wood.

Adam

Blog Entries

What trends in the classifieds I have detected have, upon reflection, proved to be chimerical on the one hand, or indicative of nothing significant on the other. I think most mandolins seem to be consistently within a range, or very slow changing over the course of years and years, and when significantly below or above that expected range, it is a reason to raise an eyebrow. At which point you will see threads here at the café about what the heck might be going on.

Mandolins are such a minority market that I am not sure pricing trends are anything.

Perhaps one could learn something tracking price trends in guitar markets. I am not sure.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

"When to buy?" well when ya have the green to get what ya want if something jumps out at ya, But I've got a problem and may need psychological help as MAS is way too much fun also I have a case of CAS "nice, old, many Paganoni Loar style cases are a fun obsession to me anyway. But I'm always trading etc.....So much jumps out at me but at least with no cash to buy, I do have some control. So maybe there is no problem!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    As JeffD says above "Indulge responsibly"

It will probably be different for private party vs dealers. Any dealer that has been at it for multiple years will know the patterns and attempt to plan for them. That said, summer is the slow season for instrument sales (despite all the festivals). People are traveling and doing more outdoor recreation and there is a decline in instrument sales. This is the longest of the sales dips. Others are shorter and tend to go along with things that effect a good percentage of the population... Holidays, back to school, etc... Just about every dip is followed by a surge from the people that wanted instruments, but were distracted with their family vacation, filing their taxes, prepping the kids for the new school year, etc... Once they get past that, they go back to instrument shopping.

If you look at a graph overlay from multiple years, it is surprising just how consistent the trends are.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

I think I have a pretty good idea of price ranges. I'm more frustrated with sheer volume. If I decide I want to buy an F5G, how many options can I find at one time online? 4 or 5? And probably none within reasonable distance to go play them.

I need everyone to go upgrade to a nice Ellis, Dudenbostel, or Gilchrist and post your Collings in the classifieds so I can have some choices. Please and thank you.

21. The following members say thank you to Enivrer for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enivrer View Post
    I need everyone to go upgrade to a nice Ellis, Dudenbostel, or Gilchrist and post your Collings in the classifieds so I can have some choices. Please and thank you.
    I have bought through the classifieds a couple of times, and asked for a 48 hour approval period to try it out. It was granted without a problem, and, luckily, not needed, as I loved the instruments.

I purchased through ebay three times, and got what I wanted, and liked it well enough to not seek to return it.

I purchased one through Craig's list. Actually I became aware of it through Craig's list but all the correspondence was by email and phone. Turned out to be another winner.

Of the three, I would trust the café classifieds the most. Just get an approval period. Even if you have to pay return shipping, its worth it for piece of mind.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

23. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

addamr 

Farmerjones says get that F5G, NOW!
    Next week you may need snow tires, furnace parts, vet bill, for cat surgery, etc. In most purchasing situations time is on your side. It would be pretty crappy to be a day away from pulling the trigger on a F5G, only to find out, (insert dilemma here).
    We've all got a finite number of heart-beats, and know not that number.

Blog Entries

With the holidays around the corner, I don't know if it would be better to wait a couple of months or not. Any thoughts or suggestions from more seasoned shoppers would be much appreciated!
    Are you planning on playing it first or taking a chance online?

The best time to buy is 2-3 weeks after you buy something. That perfect deal pops up to make you wish you'd waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    The time to buy is when you play one and it tells you it’s yours!
    Yes. When one speaks to you, that's the time to buy it.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

The best time to buy is when you find just the right instrument and the right seller that makes it a match. Patience is a good thing, and there's always another one on its way here so don't overpay.

In regard to observations there appears to be a glut in the market now--and it's true we are at an all-time high of mandolins for sale-- that ignores the fact we made a conscious decision about a year ago to aggressively market the Classifieds as one of the big draws to the site. There are other reasons why traffic is up in the Classifieds but that's due to some behind-the-scenes programming that's not up for discussion that helps sellers sell and buyers buy and makes it all more safe. What we'd hoped for has happened and we continue to move in this direction in the future.

Now back to the discussion at hand. Hope you find your dream!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post

Now back to the discussion at hand. Hope you find your dream!
    I find a dream almost every time I open up the Classifieds. It's finding the funds to realise the dreams that proves more problematic.

I look at the classifieds every day and lack of mandos to buy is not nearly as big a problem as money to buy them is.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

If you like the Gibson tone, then IMHO a Nashville Flatiron Festival from mid '99-'01 is one of the best mandolin deals going; they are essentially a Gibson F5G with the Flatiron nameplate, YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

* * * I'm looking primarily at US made F styles along the lines of a Weber Yellowstone, Collings MF, Gibson F5G, Ratliff R5, etc. * * * I'm probably not getting a forever instrument. I want a nice box to play until something better/different comes along. * * * I'm looking primarily at used instruments so I won't lose a lot if I sell/trade up later on. * * *
    For most people, those are the brands that are the "forever" instruments. Some prior comments touched on this, but the best time to buy is after you know exactly what you want (down to the exact model number) and then be patient and wait for a good buy. They do come along, but to get them you have to learn the market and have patience and discipline. As you may already know, you will pay a premium for an F style.

On the other hand, every month you spend waiting for a great buy is a month you are not playing that instrument. Sure, it's good to save a few bucks, but life is short. To my mind (YMMV), I would rather have an instrument in my hands that will give me and those listening to me pleasure (hopefully) than wait to save what may actually be a small sum of money.

I am not suggesting that price doesn't matter; plainly it does. But in the grand scheme of things it often comes down to a relatively small savings versus more time with the instrument. As I get older, I find that finite time resource becoming more valuable.

In any event, good luck with your search. I hope you enjoy the looking and the playing.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

35. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post: