Thread: Plan to get an Octave Mandolin/Irish Bouzouki, need clarification

Mandoline Morology

Question Plan to get an Octave Mandolin/Irish Bouzouki, need clarification

Hello, I currently own a Rogue RM-100a and a Goldtone MB-850+ and actively play both (Usually practice on the MB-850+ and take the RM-100a with me since its far cheaper and I don't mind if it gets banged up). However, I recently formed a group with friends and we've collectively decided we'll have a fiddle lead (It should be noted I am not the fiddle player) and not mandolin, and I've decided to fill a sort of mid range tone for our group and get an octave mandolin. However, despite a few days of research I'm still very confused as to which instrument I should be purchasing that requires minimal relearning (Or is just mandolin frets and chords scaled up onto a longer fretboard).

If I'm not mistaken, I can transfer very easily to an irish bouzouki, octave mandolin/mandola, or tenor banjo. I've currently got my eyes on a Hora concert irish bouzouki (M1090), and I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake here where I will be unable to play since I will have to relearn chord patterns (I plan on GDAe tuning, not GDAd). Are the chords/frets the same?

Thanks in advance, Triiodine.

Default Re: Plan to get an Octave Mandolin/Irish Bouzouki, need clarifica

An Irish Bouzouki in GDAE will have the same notes (well an octave down) on the same frets as your mandolin, however your fingers may/will not reach them as the frets are further apart. If you play mainly open chords the those should transfer across, by and large, and with a bouzouki or OM you are often after ringing chords rather than chop chords.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Chords will be the same but you may find the scale very long compared to a mandolin

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

On the longer scales of an OM, you can do open chords with GDAE (not ffcp unless you're The Incredible Hulk).

Bouzoukis are a completely other species, because their strength of long open strings is based on open tuning (GDAD, DADA, GDGD, whatever) and a quickly movable capo.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

You said you're considering this new instrument to fill a mid-range role in a new group or band that's forming. An important consideration here, is whether there is a guitar player in the band.

In my experience, OM doesn't blend very well with acoustic guitar. The range and timbre is too close, and the tone is a bit darker. It can sound muddy when played along with guitar. A bouzouki might be better if there is a guitar player. A 'zouk has a thinner, brighter, "zingier" sound that can be heard better along with guitar. The longer scale will require a different technique and different chord shapes than you're used to on mandolin, but a capo can help. It's very common to see bouzouki players using capos in Irish trad bands.

Or you could pick up a tenor banjo, for a timbre that will definitely stand out better with a guitar. If not overwhelm it completely. I can't believe I'm recommending a banjo!

If there isn't a guitar player in the band, then an octave mandolin will fill a nice slot in the mid-range underneath a fiddle. I'm mentioning all this because "group" usually means a guitar player in the mix.

Mandoline Morology

Currently any banjo twang we need is filled with the MB-850+. I'm totally fine with playing open chords as well, never could get the hang of chop chords anyway. I appreciate the replies, and will probably make my purchase soon.

Thanks ya'll.

Keep in mind the scale length. An Irish bouzouki is typically around 25" or so, while an OM is from 20 to 24ish. I play one with a 23" scale, and find it comfortable, but on the edge. As I recall, the Trinity College OM is 20.5 inches, one of the shorther. The Gold Tone is 22". Don't know anything about the Hora instrument. Coming from mandolin you might want a shorter scale, although IMHO the longer tend to sound better.

If you want something in the middle, consider a mandola. It's in fifths tuning, CGDA instead of GDAE, so you use the same chord fingering formations -- you just get a different chord: e.g. the G chord you make on your mandolin becomes a C chord when you finger it on the mandola.

Lower than the fiddle, higher than the guitar, lots of opportunities for harmonies, countermelodies, doubling the fiddle an octave lower. It take a while to get used to transposing -- "if this were a mandolin, I'd be playing 'D chords' but since it's a mandola, I need to play 'A chords' to be in the key of D." Once you master that, you're golden.

Here's an MP3 of one of my bands, with a mandolin-banjo and mandola playing together. You see how they can interact;

Irish Washerwoman/Swallowtail Jig/Saddle the Pony
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM