Thread: If Wishes Were Fishes…

Default If Wishes Were Fishes…

My wife and I visited Tejon Street Music in Colorado Springs this past Saturday. And, yes, I was very distracted by the Northfield NF-F2S oval hole and the Collings MT-O cream top. Both are extremely nice, extremely playable instruments. And both would have kept my attention much longer had my wife not drug me back to reality and the primary purpose for being there.

We travel quite a bit. And we like to carry an instrument or two during our travels. All of our acoustics are wood construction and ensuring their care while we’re on the road (protection from damage and humidity/temperature extremes) requires quite a bit of diligence on our part. But sometimes we just want to “be” and not worry about stuff like that.

So we decided to look at RainSong guitars and whether we would be happy with a carbon fiber instrument. We did quite a bit of homework on them so ultimately what we were looking for was tone and playability.

In short, we were fairly impressed. RainSong does a good job. We ended up purchasing a RainSong P12 parlor to “test run.” After a couple of days of playing, I’m convinced enough to get their OM version.

These will never replace our wood acoustics. However, along with their perceived durability as well as their imperviousness to the elements, they sound good enough that I won’t have any qualms in playing one anytime, anywhere, with anybody.

So here’s my wish. With the mandolin market as small as it is, the economics probably aren’t there for RainSong to produce a line of mandolins. But I wish that they could.

I’d probably be among the first in line to get one.
    Just a simple Louisiana boy trying to understand Colorado.

Default Re: If Wishes Were Fishes…

Peter Mix makes a nice carbon fiber mandolin. A little more than RainSong, but it is, and has been on the market for a while now.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I’ve been very close to ordering one of their parlor guitars on a couple of occasions, but have never had the chance to really test drive one, so have held off. Marty Jacobson (iirc) is working on perfecting a carbon fiber mandolin line, and I’m quite excited about seeing how those turn out...if he is able to get them in production at a reasonable price point, I’m gonna be all over that!! (Given a one man shop, cost of tooling and materials, etc, I don’t expect him to get down to Rainsong range, but hope he can come in lower than the Mix mandolins)...
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I'm not sure Peter Mix is still making carbon fiber mandolins. Has anyone seen a new one recently?

You might be able to find a used New Millenium/NewMAD or Mix mandolin. They don't seem to come up that often. I will say this, I played a New Millenium/NewMAD and it was pretty decent.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Marty Jacobson had a thread about a CF mandolin he was developing. This is from his website...........

http://martinjacobson.com/id/project...olin-prototype
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    My wife and I visited Tejon Street Music in Colorado Springs this past Saturday. And, yes, I was very distracted by the Northfield NF-F2S oval hole and the Collings MT-O cream top.
    Nice people at Tejon...and living 45 minutes from them really makes it hard to keep my credit card in my pocket when I drop by.

11. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

I'm an oval-hole guy myself, and from the videos that I have seen, that Northfield NF-F2S sure does look and sound sweet . . . I am glad that I'm a 2-day drive from Tejon, or my credit card could be in trouble!
    Three mandolins, thirteen electric guitars, one acoustic guitar, one electric bass, two lap steel guitars, one ukulele, one electric keyboard, a handful of percussion instruments . . . zero talent.

13. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I’ve been very close to ordering one of their parlor guitars on a couple of occasions, but have never had the chance to really test drive one, so have held off.
    Very wise thinking. We noticed tonal differences among their unidirectional carbon fiber, carbon fiber hybrid, and combination offerings. Like any instrument, they need to be test driven before purchasing. But having said that, they are remarkably consistent among like models. We did not try out the electronics on any of the models as we were looking for acoustic only, so I can't really speak to that.
    Last edited by NursingDaBlues; Nov-15-2017 at 9:37am.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    Nice people at Tejon...and living 45 minutes from them really makes it hard to keep my credit card in my pocket when I drop by.
    John and Sean Ramsey are just simply super people to deal with. And they always try to have a exemplary stock of instruments. Unfortunately they deal in brands that occasionally are difficult to come by from the source -- such as Huber and Ome. So whenever they do get a some stock in, it usually flies right back out the door pretty quickly. They did have a really nice inventory of Collings and Northfield on Saturday. But those, too, have a tendency to sell rather quickly. Yes, it can be a dangerous place.

As an added note, Tejon Street Music has cut their hours back considerably. Don't know if that was influenced by the box stores. I didn't specifically inquire, but Sean did say that a lot of their business is from on-line sales now.
    Last edited by NursingDaBlues; Nov-15-2017 at 9:04am.

I bought a guitar from Tejon. Everything happened online and over the phone. Both gentlemen were easy going and pleasant to deal with. Instrument arrived as promised and has been a joy to play. I can recommend them without reservation.
    One watch by night, one watch by day...if you get confused, just listen to the music play.

Collings MT,
    Collings MF
    Waterloo WLS Deluxe
    Martin HD 28

17. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

My wife and I visited Tejon Street Music in Colorado Springs this past Saturday. And, yes, I was very distracted by the Northfield NF-F2S oval hole and the Collings MT-O cream top.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I'm an oval-hole guy myself, and from the videos that I have seen, that Northfield NF-F2S sure does look and sound sweet . . . I am glad that I'm a 2-day drive from Tejon, or my credit card could be in trouble!
    They did have a really nice inventory of Collings and Northfield on Saturday. But those, too, have a tendency to sell rather quickly...Sean did say that a lot of their business is from on-line sales now.
    Not that I was really looking (well maybe I kinda sorta was), but I checked on the Northfield NF-F2S oval hole yesterday. Sean told me that it sold on Saturday -- the day that we were in the store. Must have been an on-line sale. Nonetheless, instruments do move fast through that store.