Thread: LR Baggs Radius pickup question and EQ

Default LR Baggs Radius pickup question and EQ

Hi

finally got around to mounting this pickup on my J.Bovier F. sounds pretty good followed the directions and i think i have it in the right spot on the top. I might be the only one here but im using it with an Fractal audio ax8 with a little compression, and reverb. Ive been working on EQing it a little, what are some of the honking/woofing freq when amplifying a mandolin? any other pointers with this pickup would be great..thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: LR Baggs Radius pickup question and EQ

A preamp or EQ box with a sweepable midrange will be your friend. I am very happy with the Baggs Para DI. It has two sweepable notching/boosting bands, one for high bass (useful for woofs), and one for mids (useful for taming the hard tone).

I will sometimes boost the frequency band in question to look for the worst sound by sweeping. But cutting the mids all the way and sweeping the control up and down will also show the best range to trim. Here are three mandolins (thanks to Graham McDonald) comparing an F5, a bowlback, and a McDonald mandolin. It will give you some ideas where the main resonances are happening, and which might be exaggerated by a contact pickup and in need of taming via EQ.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freq response G string.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	162289
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

3. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    A preamp or EQ box with a sweepable midrange will be your friend. I am very happy with the Baggs Para DI. It has two sweepable notching/boosting bands, one for high bass (useful for woofs), and one for mids (useful for taming the hard tone).

I will sometimes boost the frequency band in question to look for the worst sound by sweeping. But cutting the mids all the way and sweeping the control up and down will also show the best range to trim. Here are three mandolins (thanks to Graham McDonald) comparing an F5, a bowlback, and a McDonald mandolin. It will give you some ideas where the main resonances are happening, and which might be exaggerated by a contact pickup and in need of taming via EQ.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freq response G string.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	162289
    Hi Tom

Thanks alot for the info..I do have a Parametric EQ in my AxeFx. I was thinking about trying that as well. thanks !

Oh So basically on that graph i want to cut it around 400?

Just an aside. The Radius is what Sierra Hull uses.

7. The following members say thank you to drkix for this post: