Thread: Building a 2 point, 5 course mandocello on a 5k budget. Feasible?

Default Building a 2 point, 5 course mandocello on a 5k budget. Feasible?

Hello all,

I'm a long-time lurker of this forum, and now I've decided to come forward and tap the collective wisdom here in hopes of gaining some direction. I am a mostly happy owner of a 1914 Gibson K1, but recently I've been dreaming of something a little nicer. Don't get me wrong, the K1 is a perfectly fine model and has tons of that vintage Gibson cool. Mine is just quite beat up thanks to a previous owner, the C strings really lack punch, depth and brilliance, the top is a wee bit warped, and the neck could really use a replane (among many other small fixes). I also really want the extra E course on top.

I've recently come upon the Campanella Dué in my search, and as a classical cellist I must say it was love at first sight. While I can't find a price anywhere, I must imagine they're just a bit out of my price range of ~5k.

As stated in the title of this thread, I'm looking for a 5-course 2-point mandocello, preferrably with a carved rather than flat top. Once upon a time, I'd discussed this very build with Walt Kuhlman for a very reasonable price (somewhere around 2k), but I was saddened to learn that he'd passed when I reached out again.

So, who is making mandocelli of note for a reasonable price? Or, can anyone vouch for the value of the Campanellas to justify the extra expense?

Thanks for reading and posting, folks!

Default Re: Building a 2 point, 5 course mandocello on a 5k budget. Feasi

It seems like a couple of other 5-course cello builds have been discussed here in the forum. You should do a search.

Herb Taylor might take this on within your price range. There are a couple of others but names escape me.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Tom Jessen of Cricket fiddle built me an awesome custom built 26" F4 10 string. Carved redwood top, carved maple back. I should disclose I've bought 5 instruments by him so I get the friends/family rate. $3 k. Including the custom western redcedar case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1510629627415.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	162281

Name:	FB_IMG_1510629666799.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	162282

Name:	FB_IMG_1510629720356.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	162283

Thanks, Mandobart, yours was one of the builds I had in mind but I couldn't remember who made it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Have you checked out Paddy Burgin of New Zealand at http://www.burginguitars.co.nz/ ? He offers citterns beginning at S2540 (US dollars). I briefly tried out one of his bouzoukis at Swannanoa years ago and it was very nice.

Hey guys,

These are all great suggestions so far. I've spent some time on each site, and have written a few emails based on these recommendations.

Bart, that instrument looks awesome, but that case is spectacular!
    Chuck

Hello everyone,

Happy to say that I've struck a deal with Don Paine at Pomeroy Instruments to build my custom mandocello. It should be done in early Spring. Will post updates, as I know Don has his fans here in this forum (after speaking with him at length several times, I may be already as well!)