Thread: Pomeroy #222

Default Pomeroy #222

No Pomeroys seem to have been posted in quite some time. I just took possession of this one from Don Paine. It is a PA-2, number 222. I am smitten by this instrument in just 2 days. It is of a fairly simple design as mandolins go but beautiful construction, materials and execution. Had I had one built for me to my specs, I'm not sure I could have put into words what sort of sound I wanted out of an oval hole but this is close: Sweet, responsive, clear, resonant, accurate with power in reserve and perfect balance. It could not be better for what I want at this stage of my life when I no longer play out much. You can string together hammer-ons, slides and pull offs with never having touched the strings with a pick. I don't have any sound files yet but hopefully I can post a couple of pictures. This isn't a playing out mandolin for me, but one to compose tunes on, maybe record with and sooth my soul at home. Awesome. My fifth mandolin. Probably my last.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222back.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	162236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222front.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	162237

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Furb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pomeroy #222

Don Paine makes a delightful instrument. That one is a beauty for sure.

I think he is up to #240 or more by now. He has some that were not special orders which are on hand. He is making some nice looking and sounding fiddles too which I am tempted by greatly. I think his son is making the F-5 models now.

What a coincidence! I'm the owner of a Pomeroy PA-2, but I have to admit, these days, I rarely use it. I seem to prefer my bowlbacks.
    But recently, I remembered the Pomeroy when I recorded a set of 3 Scottish jigs arranged by Nigel Gatherer.

I had it built in the summer of 2009 and it is # 147.
    I chose natural color and an unbound back.
    It is strung with Thomastik flatwound strings.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

Those bowlbacks are too darn slippery for me! A friend used to have a Greek bouzouki and it was tricky to keep that thing in your lap. We used to play Patsy Geary's in front of Coleman's Cross but the other two I haven't heard. Thanks.

Hi, fellow Pomeroy owner Furb (and other fans). I just gave grateful home to this one, Don's #239, having been hunting an oval hole for a while. My word! I love everything about it, the violin construction (with overhanging plates), the emphasis on the wood (figured walnut and locally sourced Engelmann), and most of all the great playability and rich ringing tone. Don's work gets my highest recommendation.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.32.32 PM.png 
Views:	2615 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	162848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.31.34 PM.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	162849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.31.50 PM.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	162850

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.32.08 PM.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	162851
    Thanks to all of you luthiers and your playable art!

Mark

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Markkunkel For This Useful Post:

Sure is pretty. I am working on a sound file but I am happier with the sound of the instrument than I am with my playing!

https://soundcloud.com/mike-furbee-308774662/cuckoo2

Did this work? Not sure how to upload a sound file. This was mostly just fooling around with microphone positioning as you can hear if you pay close attention. The mics were moved while playing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Furb; Dec-21-2017 at 7:37pm. Reason: Trying to figure this out.

12. The following members say thank you to Furb for this post:

Future owner of Pomery 242 (or maybe 243?) chiming in. Don is very knowledgeable and easy to work with, and has been willing to humor an onslaught of my most esoteric (and at times, bordering on ridiculous) questions.

The custom build we've come up with also features the "v-style" overhangs in a 2-point configuration. Did I mention this'll be a 5-course mandocello with a Lyon & Healy inspired scroll headstock as well? Mama Mia!

Spring can't come fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
    Hi, fellow Pomeroy owner Furb (and other fans). I just gave grateful home to this one, Don's #239, having been hunting an oval hole for a while. My word! I love everything about it, the violin construction (with overhanging plates), the emphasis on the wood (figured walnut and locally sourced Engelmann), and most of all the great playability and rich ringing tone. Don's work gets my highest recommendation.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.32.32 PM.png 
Views:	2615 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	162848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.31.34 PM.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	162849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.31.50 PM.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	162850

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.32.08 PM.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	162851
    Thanks to all of you luthiers and your playable art!

Mark
    What a beaut! That red maple is certainly gorgeous.

The sound file works and the Pomeroy mandolin sounds fine!
    As I already mentioned, I play mostly classical these days, but #147 works for this style as well...