Thread: Comparison between the Mandocellos

Question Comparison between the Mandocellos

I saw that the Mandocellos are tuned C G D A or G D A E.
    Can you tell me which one is given the lowest? or by expressing it otherwise, for the
    one who is tuned G D A E, is the G more bottom or higher than the C of the other?

Default Re: Comparison between the Mandocellos

CGDA is lower. GDAE is octave mandolin tuning.

I'm not aware of any mandocelli tuned GDAE below CGDA; hope someone corrects me if I err.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    CGDA is lower. GDAE is octave mandolin tuning.

I'm not aware of any mandocelli tuned GDAE below CGDA; hope someone corrects me if I err.
    Thank you allenhopkins!
    If it is confirmed that the strings C G D A ring a fifth below that the chord G D A E, this means that the strings C G D A are larger.
    I was planning to buy a mandocello tuned G D A E because it is cheaper then change the strings to move to C G D A.
    But in this case the tugging will be stronger it could damage the instrument.
    So it's not to consider: what do you think?

4. The following members say thank you to morix for this post:

Show us the instrument you're thinking of buying.

Tension on a neck is a function of string gauge, scale length, and tuning. A cello C string will have greater mass than a G string, but the fact that it's tuned to a lower pitch will alleviate some of the difference in tension.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by morix View Post
    Thank you allenhopkins!
    If it is confirmed that the strings C G D A ring a fifth below that the chord G D A E, this means that the strings C G D A are larger.
    I was planning to buy a mandocello tuned G D A E because it is cheaper then change the strings to move to C G D A.
    But in this case the tugging will be stronger it could damage the instrument.
    So it's not to consider: what do you think?
    No, mandocello strings are not necessarily larger. It depends on the instrument scale. I have an Eastman mandocello that I experimented with OM tuning. I used the exact same strings for the G, D and A whether it was tuned C-G-D-A or G-D-A-E. I have a 21.5" OM and a 26" mandocello from the same builder. The string gages aren't the same due to the different scale lengths, but the G, D and A strings on each instrument sound exactly the same.

Indeed, I have the choice between two instruments.
    The one tuned in GDAE has a pitch of 24 and that tuned in CGDA has a pitch of
    If I understood correctly what you expressed, given the difference in pitch, if I install the strings CGDA on the
    mandocello with a pitch of 24, this will have little consequence on the tension. If that is so, can I do it without
    risking damaging the instrument?

I think you are confusing pitch and scale length. The first is I believe an Octave Mandolin with a 24 inch scale length (length of the strings). The second has a 25.75 inch scale. This is 610mm and 654mm respectively. The reason one is longer than the other is so you keep the same tension but have different notes (pitch).
    You could change the strings on the Octave for thicker ones but it will probably not sound as good as the Mandochello. It will need a little setup work but won’t break it
    If the price difference is such that the Mandochello is more than you want to spend then this is a good compromise. However if you really have your heart set on CGDA tuning then it might be better to spend the extra for the instrument built to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by morix View Post
    Indeed, I have the choice between two instruments.
    The one tuned in GDAE has a pitch of 24 and that tuned in CGDA has a pitch of
    If I understood correctly what you expressed, given the difference in pitch, if I install the strings CGDA on the
    mandocello with a pitch of 24, this will have little consequence on the tension. If that is so, can I do it without
    risking damaging the instrument?
    I would say yes. If you use the same gage strings on the 24" scale length instrument as you do on the 25-3/4" instrument tuned to C-G-D-A, the tension should be fine. But again, you already have a G, D and A course on the 24"instrument. The tension in these courses does not change one bit when you move them all over one position on the bridge and nut. So sure, I would try the same size C as you have on the larger instrument, and you may find two things:
    1. None of the strings will fit their new nut slots.
    2. The C strings may be too "floppy" sounding
    But you can try it to see if you would like the sound once you get everything set up correctly. This all leads to why I play 5-course instruments...