Thread: Collings

Default Collings

Collings sure is cranking out the mandolins.

I see so many come and go in the classifieds, it seems like more than any other brand.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Default Re: Collings

All quality pieces. With consistency comes a consideration kinda like currency. That and you can sell one today and expect to find another one later of equal quality anytime later.

I hope they crank out enough everyone runs out of places to put them, and one or a few end up stored at my house.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

They are consistently raising the bar and then exceeding it themselves. The last few I have played were just wow. Bill has left behind a legacy that few will ever exceed. I've heard they have some new stuff in the works for NAMM. If you haven't played one of their Traditional model guitars you should try one.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Collings sure is cranking out the mandolins.

I see so many come and go in the classifieds, it seems like more than any other brand.

Billy
    Let us know when you think it's appropriate and we'll add Collings to this list. Someone just made the same observation today on Facebook. Oh, wait, that was for a different company. Sorry.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I suspect it's like cars. You buy a particular model thinking it's quite rare then you see the same type all over the place.

Collings produces some of the best mandolins out there, and I say without hesitation they set the bar for consistency. Their fit and finish is second to none. Tone is subjective, you may or not like like a specific makers tone, but Collings is at the highest tier in the art(instruments) they produce.

Collings provides a highly enticing product to buy and trade because they are so consistent.

Have you read the million comments about how consistent they are? This means someone can buy a Collings with relative security that it's a great mandolin.

You'll see a lot of reviews about makers who can be hit or miss. I won't mention names.

Collings has therefore been a hit in the marketplace here because they can be a trusted used buy. What I haven't touched on though, is a large portion of the Collings you see posted in the classifieds are NEW, because shops know there is a high demand. New Collings get posted all the time here.

Certain brands are highly regarded here at the Cafe, think Collings, Northfield, and more... (I mention those since they are super hot right now). If they are highly spoken of, the market will naturally be full of their product.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9lbShellhamer For This Useful Post:

All I know is that I just recently bought a used Collings MT-O gloss top out of the classifieds. So glad there are some great Collings coming through the classifieds. Was considering buying one new and ended up saving about a $1000 on a killer mando. So glad to see lots of used Collings and other mandolins here in the classifieds. Lots of eye candy and a perpetual source of inspiration for my own MAS. Thank you Mandolin Cafe! Scott

I wish there were more...I am looking for an A-style used...Collings MT or Weber.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    All I know is that I just recently bought a used Collings MT-O gloss top out of the classifieds. So glad there are some great Collings coming through the classifieds. Was considering buying one new and ended up saving about a $1000 on a killer mando. So glad to see lots of used Collings and other mandolins here in the classifieds. Lots of eye candy and a perpetual source of inspiration for my own MAS. Thank you Mandolin Cafe! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    Love my MTO
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Love my Collings MT. If I had the bankroll, I'd buy a few more Collings mandolins and guitars. Would love to hear and test drive an oval hole Collings mandolin.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I get so much love my Collins’s at gigs and jams. Not that it should matter, but it confirms what I think of it - beautiful sound, a high range that makes people look up and smile, and it’s loud. Really loud. I know I’m biased.

I am glad there have been some used in the Classifieds (I agree that most of the ones posted are new.) I love my Collings MT that I just purchased, compares favorably with my Pava and Weber (my previous standards of excellence.)

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

I had a Collings MF that was one of the best sounding mandolins I've ever played or listened to. I sold it to a well known fiddler and studio musician here in the "805" who uses it for recording. It doesn't have the "on stage" look he likes for live performances, but it has a better sound than anything else he's played and it's all he plays for recordings. I only sold because I needed the money for an F4 purchase.

Collings is one of the best.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

bass player gone mando

I have two Collings, one in each location I play from. I had another but I sold it ... to my mandolin teacher.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Whether you play a Collings or not,there's no denying that they've been producing consistently high quality instruments for a long while. Like Weber,the Collings build standard has been impeccable over the years. I can only surmise that any Collings instruments for sale in the ads., are owned by folks 'moving up' the mandolin ladder - very high quality instruments for sure !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

19. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Still waiting to come across a mandolin I consider to be an upgrade in sound or playability from my MTO.

21. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

yes, it looks like Collings ( or insert any other successful builder ) is cranking them out...a sign that business is good?
    Ironic, there are a few for sale used at any given time, but bargains are few and far between--I take that as a sign of a healthy business with a great reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    Collings produces some of the best mandolins out there, and I say without hesitation they set the bar for consistency. Their fit and finish is second to none. Tone is subjective, you may or not like like a specific makers tone, but Collings is at the highest tier in the art(instruments) they produce.

Collings provides a highly enticing product to buy and trade because they are so consistent.
    Yep, that’s why I sold mine. I was confident the buyer would get something he loved. And he did!

24. The following members say thank you to JeromeLCSW for this post: