Thread: Four Centuries of Solo Mandolin Music

Default Four Centuries of Solo Mandolin Music

http://www.neilgladd.com/Publications/NGP%201002.html

This has been mentioned in other threads, but now that it is out and available, I thought it deserved a thread of it's own.

A little background on the book: This is not a method or teaching material, it is just a book full of concert repertoire, enough for several entire concert programs. There are a few easier pieces, but most of it is not for beginners. I edited the first edition, Three Centuries of Solo Mandolin Music, for Plucked String Editions in 1988. It was 66 pages with 19 pieces, and sold initially for $20, but went up to $25 sometime in the 90s. When I decided to redo it, I decided to take out the arrangements, and include only original compositions for mandolin. I also had to leave out some contemporary pieces that I did not have the rights to, so I had to replace all of the pieces that were taken out with different music, and also intended to add "a few more." I had no idea what it would cost, but guessed that with more pages and 30 years of cost increases for paper and printing, that it might sell for $35-$40, and offered it for pre-sale at $25, to give people a discount. It turned out to be more of a discount than I thought. I kept finding more and more and MORE pieces that I wanted to include, and by the time I got a printing estimate, it was up to 151 pages and 65 pieces, only 9 of which were in the first edition, and the list price was up to $65. That is based entirely on the printing cost, the same as my other books, this one just has a lot more pages! I wanted to include some contemporary pieces to replace the others (and account for the 4th century mentioned in the title), so I put in some of my own short pieces, and asked 3 composer friends if I could include some of their music. Unlike the first edition, where all of the composers had assigned their copyrights to Plucked String, I only asked for permission to print their works, so all of the composers still own their music. This is the first time that I have printed music by living composers, other than myself, so it is the first time that I will have to pay royalties on copies sold, and their payments will be higher because of all the earlier music raising the list price. PD composers subsidizing living composers!

I have been charging a flat shipping rate for all of my orders: $3.50 within the U.S. and $6.50 to other countries. The first few I have sent to Europe and Australia have actually cost $22.50 each. This is a one pound book!!! I need to fix that eventually, but decided to wait until January before I make any changes, as I was really worried about pricing the book out of the market. So, if you are outside of the U.S. you can get a bargain on shipping through the holidays.
    Last edited by Neil Gladd; Nov-10-2017 at 2:48pm.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neil Gladd For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Four Centuries of Solo Mandolin Music

Forgot to mention that you may recognize the name of the second youngest composer in the book: Victor Kioulaphides! Be watching for a check in January, Victor!

4. The following members say thank you to Neil Gladd for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

You have a customer, Neil.
    Thanks for posting this news and also for all you do to promote the classical mandolin.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

6. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

This is a monumental work and a true labor of love. I cannot find compliments enough for Neil; what he has done for the classical mandolin in America throughout his career is unmatched. This anthology is full of wonderful music for just about every taste.

I am pleased that, at least in the company of my four-century-old colleagues, I hold a rather youthful contextual rank. That doesn't happen very often any more. As for the wealth amassed by composing for the mandolin, I guess my Spartan days are over.

Three cheers to Neil!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

8. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Considering I got this book for a steal, I feel that I should at least write an honest review of this work for Neil.

First, if you like professional level classical music, there are very few books out there that have this extensive of a collection all in one book. It’s a great balance of pieces from all periods and while I think the market is small for this level of music, it’s still an important collection for beginners and intermediate players to pick up because there are a lot of great techniques in these pieces.

As for the quality of the printing, I would say that it’s good. These are mostly facsimiles of older pieces so it may be hard to get them all cleaned up completely, but nothing is distracting or illegible.

I’m a big fan of this book and I would give it an enthusiastic endorsement. I loved the three centuries book I got from the library and this book is better in so many aspects. (Also adding Victor’s pieces is a nice bonus). I’d recommend any fans of classical mandolin to pick this up.

10. The following members say thank you to Classicalcomp for this post:

Wow! I received the book yesterday, and it is really going to take some serious work before I get proficient enough to play most of the pieces in it, but if I have nothing to work towards, I will never get there. And I have found that I work on the techniques I need to play the pieces I want to play, so I think ultimately this book will make me strive to get to be a better player. The price was very reasonable, and the spiral bound is very helpful.

12. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Neill,
    Is there any music for mandocello in this book? I am presenting a session at CMSA on solo MC repertoire (mainly because there is almost no such thing!). Looking far and wide, have a few leads and a few original compositions, (plus historical method books) but still looking for more. Hope you have some; please email me if you do: <<jfimhoff@msn.com>>
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Neill,
    Is there any music for mandocello in this book? I am presenting a session at CMSA on solo MC repertoire (mainly because there is almost no such thing!). Looking far and wide, have a few leads and a few original compositions, (plus historical method books) but still looking for more. Hope you have some; please email me if you do: <<jfimhoff@msn.com>>
    Thanks,
    Jim
    CORRECTION: I should not have said I was presenting a session; at present it is only an idea and not scheduled as an event. The actual schedule has not yet been set; nevertheless I am still interested in gathering mandocello literature, whether for personal use or sharing on line.

Jim, there’s not any that I remember in the book. I still have a copy of the goichberg mandocello studies book. That’s the only real collection of works written specifically for the mandocello that I know to exist. Unfortunately it’s out of print at this time.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin