Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk modes...

Default Lets talk modes...

I practice major, minor, blues, arpeggios and pentatonic scales. Recently, I started messing around with scale modes in order to further my musical understanding. I'm wondering who here practices some of the off color modes, how you practice them and where you use them in your own playing?

It seems like a really big musical area. I can derive pentatonic scales from each mode. I can derive chords for each degree of each mode. It also makes me wonder if I'm practicing my major scales poorly. I know all the FFcP positions for major scales. However, when I try playing a mode, it doesn't flow like the major positions yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post:

Default Re: Lets talk modes...

Today I'm happy...oh, modes...
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Don't know if my experience is relevant, since it's not mandolin-specific. Fwiw, I play music based in modes perhaps not typically used in most of the mandolin-typical genres we're mostly accustomed. Played a lot of flamenco gtr which makes use of lots of phrygian; currently play balkan and mid-eastern music on accordian and arabic oud where there are several variations of these harmonized minor and dominant scales. Also on (clarsach) harp, which is diatonically tuned, I play mostly with modes rather than scales - the instrument, and musical repertoire, lend more to this approach. Early music tends to involve lots of colorful modes, as it predates our maj/min dominant systems.

*WRT relative facility with different modes, compared with typical scale work and application based in typical context, a couple of things. Naturally, familiarity is salient - listening to music deriving from these varying sources would obviously benefit. A shift in mental and aesthetic approach - compare the lyrical and tonal basis of form with the maj/min harmonized form we're accustomed in the West. But you can use familiar scales to build others, which may be an effective approach, so you can approach it more theoretically too.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Nov-08-2017 at 1:01pm.

5. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Most commonly, I use the Dorian mode (ii) in jazz when a minor sound is called for. Sometimes Locrian over half-dim. Don't use 'em much otherwise.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandolincelli for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Today I'm happy...oh, modes...
    Me too....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ApplePieALaMode.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	162158
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Been fooling around with Lydian, because of some articles I read. Nothing interesting has developed.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Been fooling around with Lydian, because of some articles I read. Nothing interesting has developed.

Just wrote a lengthy post on using modes in improvization, etc. Device booted me and lost it - c'est la vie. Suffice to say now - think modal approach when thinking about normal scalar application and exercises. Can be greatly useful tool in practice, inspiration, etc.

Re Lydian, George Russell wrote an influential treatise you might look into as well.

Blog Entries

Many students of music seem to take a very academic approach to modes. It is almost as if they need to do them in order to graduate from something. How do you practice modes? I suppose you could play an etude in major and all the minor variations and then all of the modes. But why? What did it accomplish? Not much I suspect. Or not enough to understand how and why it is part of an ethnic style or even a choice in composing or improvising in Jazz music. Which is quite advanced stuff and you'll not have that perspective to start with.

A far better way to understand modes is to find out where they are used and learn a bit about the style. For example some people here have said that dorian is used in Irish music. Blues music often uses pentatonic scales. Why? At least that is how I approach modes. I need a context for the use of a mode. It is not to say I don't study them. I just need a practical situation to understand the 'theory'.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

I went a little crazy and derived all the chords for each degree of each mode. Someone might find this interesting:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 1.12.27 PM.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	162168

16. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post:

Taking up what Doug suggested, there's a neat little series of free online basic (lessons) info: a brief historical account on origins, very little theory, but very lucid examples of how modes are used, in this case, in harp "therapy" improvisation (not to be confused with the profession of music therapy); the field of therapeutic harping draws heavily from these old sources of modal principles of organization and application. http://www.emeraldharp.com/free-lesson/ (scroll down - vids #2 and #3). NFI.

18. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

DougC 

If you want crazy,check out the harmonic minor modes,shifting into superlocrain makes you instant jazz...

20. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

I organized the modes by their brightness and looked at their respective pentatonic scales. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 3.07.58 PM.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	162173

22. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post:

DougC 

Dave Sheets

The Aebersold jazz practice CDs (no financial interest on my part) are a fun way to mess around/practice soloing in different modes. I spent a lot of time at this on guitar, never have on mandolin. Jazz oriented stuff obviously, but the ideas and the hearing translates to other genres.
    Last edited by Dave Sheets; Nov-08-2017 at 7:02pm. Reason: mis-spelling
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

24. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post

A far better way to understand modes is to find out where they are used and learn a bit about the style. For example some people here have said that dorian is used in Irish music. Blues music often uses pentatonic scales. Why? At least that is how I approach modes. I need a context for the use of a mode. It is not to say I don't study them. I just need a practical situation to understand the 'theory'.
    All modes come from actual musical situations.

Even your plain old major scale is a mode.

I like your comment about the styles of music that use particular modes. More on that later.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    If you want crazy,check out the harmonic minor modes,shifting into superlocrain makes you instant jazz...
    Well, for minor tunes in Gypsy jazz, right on!

You will need other modes for other styles of jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by sheets View Post
    The Aebersold jazz practice CDs (no financial interest on my part) are a fun way to mess around/practice soloing in different modes. I spent a lot of time at this on guitar, never have on mandolin. Jazz oriented stuff obviously, but the ideas and the hearing translates to other genres.
    my comments on the Aebersold series from another thread:

The whole Aebersold series is an excellent tool, nicely written charts with correct chord changes, and most with cool play-along recordings so you can practice as much as you want.

The downside - the books teach the chord-scale method of jazz improv exclusively, they do not cover the older, and to my teachers' taste (which included Ellis Marsalis among other less well known teachers), better basic method of improvising off of the chord changes and chord arpeggios.

The chord-scale method is a great tool AFTER you know how to improvise the way everyone from Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet through Parker, Dizzy and Trane played.

Then the chord-scale method came into use.....but one needs to know the older way first for it to really make sense.

Use the Aebersold books and play-alongs, but make sure you learn to play off of the chord arpeggios of the song in question first.

26. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

DSDarr 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

When you're playing Irish you have Dorian and Mixolydian for breakfast every day.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I love music theory and had been struggling with modes and trying to just memorize and use them, then I finally ‘got’ the tetrachord and it helped me so much to understand how it all works...well, at times I do anyway but it was a huge ‘hello’ to constructing modes...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I love music theory and had been struggling with modes and trying to just memorize and use them, then I finally ‘got’ the tetrachord and it helped me so much to understand how it all works.......
    I've seen 'tetrachord' spoken of before, but I've never quite "gotten it". Do you have a reference or short explanation of what it is and how it works??? Thanks.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I've seen 'tetrachord' spoken of before, but I've never quite "gotten it". Do you have a reference or short explanation of what it is and how it works??? Thanks.
    Jazz Mando has you covered: http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000832.shtml

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dadsaster For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dadsaster View Post

Tetrachords yea. O.K.
    Tetra means 4. There are 8 notes in a scale. Sometimes it is useful to look at only half of the scale.
    A very nice explanation. But it gets confusing the further you read.

It has you covered like a chocolate fudge sunday. Name:  ApplePieALaMode.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  8.1 KB

It makes sense to work on a particular style (in this case it is Jazz) and a particular tune, and a particular phrase in a tune, in order to see why certain notes and certain chords 'don't work' or 'do work'. Knowing the simple stuff first is the key.

Why do people try to be 'big shots' by using music theory to show how smart they are? I'll stick with 'one bite at a time'.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Modes can be useful but often promote a style where one just spews out random notes contained in the mode/scale. Much better to think in chord tones I feel. Or relate everything back to the major scale. i.e. mixolydian mode is just a major scale with the 7th note changed; understanding that we are replacing the"happy" major seventh with a more forceful dominant 7th. That said I do think the Dorian mode can be very useful when playing in minor keys

I like what Robben Ford said about scales in one of his Truefire courses. He knows the scales but never just "runs them" rather he thinks of it as finger painting and he just plucks different colors off the fret board as he sees fit.

Take a look/listen to the great Bill Frisell...the ultimate finger painter. I've never heard him run a scale..everything has a purpose.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perry For This Useful Post:

Great link dadsaster! The visual is very helpful, I had been looking at it from the fretboard POV and working thru it and making it harder than I needed to. A friend of mine who is a Berklee grad has always spoken of tetrachords and while I could always follow along I just never really got it until recently.

In improvising I was going along trying to keep up with chord changes and the key of the tune and such and I always suspected that if I really knew the modes better it would make things easier. However, I was thinking - great 7 modes to learn along with everything else...so I would generally abandon any study of them. Then one day I was reading about tetrachords and how there are just 4 and they are put together to form all the modes it was like...voila...and I got it finally.

Now, the understanding fades in and out so I still have work to do but now rather than having to worry about chord changes and such I can go along using modes...it’s still not ‘easy” but for me it’s more logical to the way my brain works.

I do agree that knowing scales, chord tones, and arpeggios are necessary whether one knows them from study of theory or by ear but tetrachords give me another tool to deploy while playing.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Great post perry. I mostly agree, and have approached playing with a chordal/scalar concept most of my life - I enjoy the metaphorical way you describe. The didactic harp stuff is effective as a teaching tool, as well as especially lucid on the instrument, and perpetuates traditional concepts. Though modal thinking has inspired me lyrically, playing instruments like violin, woodwinds, that encourage concepts in ways other than the polyphonic instruments. I recall now that when I was studying pedal steel decades ago I think I was feeling modes too. There's a certain feel I get when I think modal, which varies among instruments and styles. (Again, not necessarily mandolin-related, much of this.)

Blog Entries

Let's keep in mind that Western Music is often the assumption when talking about this stuff.

As a klezmer musician, and Irish musician, I have a 'different point of view' which comes from staying within certain modes at all times.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Why do people try to be 'big shots' by using music theory to show how smart they are?
    Perhaps a snippet of theory opened a door for someone and they are simply holding the door open for someone else to walk through.
    Bobby Bill

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobby bill For This Useful Post:

I won't say everything I know about modes I learned from Niles, but it's a high percentage.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/niles2.html

What strikes me about this lesson is "feel' comments. Like any language if one doesn't use it, one tends to loose it. As I'm a very tactile/intuitive player, if it's in context it sticks. If I use it a lot it sticks. That's not to say that I can't draw from something in the passed. It just takes a bit longer. I'm not going to expound upon modes. It's way too easy to get wrong. If I type WWHWWHWW, continuing through all the modes, if I screw up in one tiny place it's wrong, and misleading. But if you're playing a modal tune, i'll take a ride with you.