Thread: Safe buying on Reverb?

Default Safe buying on Reverb?

Is there a safe way to buy on Reverb or the classifieds here on the cafe for that matter?
    Seems dangerouse to send thousands to someone you don't know.

Default Re: Safe buying on Reverb?

Reverb doesn't release funds to the seller until delivery is confirmed.

The Cafe Classifieds are policed by the site owner and no tomfoolery is tolerated.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Very Safe, I've traded many high dollar mandolins on the café bought many and sold a few also many parts! Never 1 problem on the café, it seems everyone is honest here! If they weren't well there would be a problem word gets around fast who not to deal with and the site owner is topps and would try to resolve it.. As far as Reverb I've bought 1 instrument and not a problem!

Always risk with online line purchases, but I’ve bought 7 mandolins and traded for another through the classifieds here without issue...

My first mandolin purchase was a very bad eBay experience, to the point that I've bought maybe one other item off there since. (A golf club from an actual business). Others use it all the time without issue, so, as always, YMMV.
    Chuck

Reverb is a great place to buy, just make sure to check the seller's feedback. Many of the sellers on Reverb are music stores using it as their online storefront.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

FWIW, I bought several instruments thru now-not-so-esteemed eBay, mostly 8-12 years ago. Some were nicely into 4 digits (Flatiron mandolin, Rickenbacker guitar), and I had only positive experiences. MOST helpful was to ask questions that might elicit some level of detailed response, even if I didn't need actually need an answer. If they were evasive or even just half-hearted, I avoided. If they sounded like a friend enthusing about a favorite instrument in some detail, warts and all, I figured that they actually knew and cared about what they were doing.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I've purchased a few things from there. Safely.

I think the Cafe classified are probably the most closely policed venue anyone might find. Scott simply does not tolerate poor manners around here and, should a bad transaction rear it’s head, I believe the entire forum would “shun” the miscreant until such time as his strings rot and he loses his Bluechip pick down the toilet.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

9. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Seter 

You can filter sellers by how knowledgeable they are, quality of info/pix and timeliness of responses. There is some deceptive stuff I've seen on Reverb, mostly it's people selling banjo's and mandolins that don't know the instruments.

If anybody is reluctant to give out a phone number to speak directly, a location for in person pickup, or provide more photos, or insists on Paypal "Friends and Family Gift" or just doesn't seem to know what they're selling ("selling for a friend") that's a red flag.

On the classifieds here, look at "Prior ads by this individual: ...Prior replies by this individual: " A lot of sellers are well known dealers (Fiddlers Green, Mando Store, Folkmusician, Boyd, Bernunzio, Music Emporium, B/F, Morgan, Elderly etc) you'll have no problems with them
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I've bought and sold several instruments on Reverb and have had no problems. Same goes for the cafe classifieds. IMO it is worth paying the extra 3% paypal fee on high dollar items, instead of using the "friends & family" option. That way if there is a problem, you have some recourse through PayPal and your CC.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Only on the first sale from an account. After that, they release the funds once you upload shipping info (if using direct checkout) or immediately (if using Paypal).

Reverb is like Ebay: the accuracy of the description is down to the individual seller.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Reverb is fantastic. I bought a Gibson 2002 F9 for top dollar as it was advertised as "pristine" "like new condition" etc. when it showed up I thought the guy sent wrong mandolin ! It was beat up pretty good & far from pristine. I told seller I want my $ back & I'll send mando back. His response was not great. So I called reverb explained to them about the false description and Reverb told me no problem they will get my $ refunded regardless of what the seller says. I sent mando back and got a full refund. This was a private sale & I was really happy with Reverb. Just make sure you do all transactions through them and you won't have problems.
    Lou

Reverb is just fine. Each seller has return policies they have to stick to. They have their own version of PayPal. I've bought and sold there a couple dozen times. Never had a moments problem.
    Just use PayPal if you buy or sell here. Again, make sure you know the return policy.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

My Reverb experience was just fine. Picked up a used Weber Bighorn (my avatar) from a small store in AZ using the site. Next day shipping, free set-up, new strings and some case candy and a 5 day return policy not to mention helpful staff and a fair price sold me...
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

Blog Entries

We need to make an observation here, then we'll butt out.

The official position is the Cafe has no problem with Reverb as a service. We allow people to link to their Reverb sales as we do Craig's List, eBay and others. Our interest is helping people buy, sell and trade.

That said, there are situations we wish were different.

Fact - There are three people actively selling on Reverb right now that we know of that have been permanently banned from the Cafe's Classifieds for unscrupulous dealing. There are likely more. The behavior they were removed for includes altering vintage instruments and then representing them as original in order to increase the list price, misrepresenting condition in general, and one individual for harassing sellers and buyers and treating them in a manner that is simply unacceptable by anyone's standards. Don't ask. We will not provide those names. It's not our job to police Reverb. 100% safe? Don't be so sure. Do business there at your own risk. Do they have protection in place? Yes. Will that protect you from someone that is well known on these pages in the past from screwing you on a vintage purchase or has been removed because they're problematic? No, it will not. They will simply move on to somewhere else. I won't even address the Facebook page set up to sell instruments. Zero protection. It's open season. Buyer be very, very aware.

Fact - we employ a silent whitelisting system in place for the Classifieds. This is not an unusual practice in dealing with buyer/seller safety, but it requires that we need to screen new ads and replies from addresses that have never been used. It's for this reason ad holders do not receive spam replies or replies from people we've banned, and why on only a few occasions over our 20 year history that someone has placed bogus ads that actually entrapped someone. We've seen ads pointing to Reverb on our Classifieds where a first reply being screened comes in stating, "let's do the transaction on the Cafe and avoid all fees." You can guess our take on that. Is what it is. Our service is set up to be a perk for our members, regulars. It's all part of the game. Most people are honest, but the fact is, someone else is making sure this stays afloat.

All we have to say. We think it's a fine service, but you are not 100% safe anywhere, not even here. But we can and will remove predatory sellers and other folks that are problematic, even when it's not popular with their friends who remain here. Difference is we don't have to march to the orders of investors or upper management only concerned with bottom line.

Be careful out there.

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thank you Scott, that’s a nice confirmation of the time and trouble you spend trying to maintain the sense of honor and dignity I have come to appreciate on the site as a whole!
    I’ve not had occasion to buy or sell through the classifieds but, I feel very confident that my satisfaction with any transaction is assured. When I’m looking, I know where the most broad collection may be found, right here!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post

The Cafe Classifieds are policed by the site owner and no tomfoolery is tolerated.
    I have been getting the funds released at Reverb, as soon as they see its been accepted at the post office.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I agree with Scott. No place is perfect. I know my worst buying and selling experiences took place right here.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

21. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

The bottom line is that some people are comfortable buying online and some will never be. If you aren't that isn't an issue, take a trip to one of the brick and mortar establishments that advertise here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

G'dae Scott,
    The Cafe has expanded my mandolin and general music horizons to an unimagined degree since I was lucky enough to find y'all some years past.I have made many friends in four (4) continents thanks to your Webpage (is that the correct terminology?), especially per medium of your Classified page. Since I busted my shoulder & could no longer work at my chosen profession, I took to acquiring and restoring bent and hurt mandolins. Cost is/was not a consideration...my motivation is/was to save something precious from destruction.I would estimate that around 70% plus of my acquisitions have been from Cafe vendors. And Not One Of Them Has Tried To Rip Me Off!...Not Bloody One.This includes full time traders , oncers and people from the dark side. When I explain to them that I am not in it to turn a dollar, I have found, without exception, folk with kindred sensibilities, willing to go out of their way to assist a fellow Cafe member.. with no thought of recompense. Scott, thank you for what you have given us...and more power to your arm.
    PS. the point is...buying from the Cafe Classifieds is a soda.

Blog Entries

Well said Scott! The café is the best place for us true mando nuts out there. One thing that I don't like on the cafe is all the dealers non mando type instruments in the café adds. but it may be a good thing to see what dealer prices are compared to an individual.