Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mandolin tunning machines

Default mandolin tunning machines

who makes a nice set of tuners that looks good, has removable buttons & stays in tune. I would just like to know who are the top 3 brands out there today. thanks for your input.

Default Re: mandolin tunning machines

I'm not so sure the Rubner buttons are removable. I had a set that looked like they might be but was afraid to put a wrench on it to find out.

Tony, are you looking for A or F style tuners? What mandolin are you looking to put them on?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

hi Mike, sorry I should have said A style. were going to put them on an Eastman md 305.

Here's a nice set of Grover 309 for $35 used
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/117153#117153

Here's a new set for $47
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Grover-309n-a...Set/1603624395

I wouldn't spend much more than that on an Eastman MD305
    Last edited by colorado_al; Nov-05-2017 at 7:00pm.

First things first then (looking at pictures). I don't think they are using odd spaced tuners but Kentucky recently did it so I'd be a little leery. Make sure the post spacing is .906 inches (23 mm) from center to center. That's normal spacing these days.

The tuners you have are worm over. You want a set with buttons that are screwed on so that changes things a bit. If someone can tell me that the Rubner's have removeable buttons and they know that because they removed one that's a good choice.

Beyond that Gotoh makes A style tuners with removable buttons. They also make them that aren't removable. Make sure they are worm over and that they turn correctly.

Grover makes A style tuners with removable buttons.

I don't believe the Stewmac A style Golden Age buttons are removable. If they are somebody will chime in.

The Waverly A style tuners don't look like they have removable buttons in the pictures on the Stewmac website.

Shallers do not have removable buttons. You can change them (like you can anything) but it's not just removing a screw.

Alessi makes an A style tuner that appears to have a screw. I don't know if that is a screw or if that is just cosmetic.

If you could find someone that would sell you a set of the Gibson Grover A style tuners that were dumped on eBay a while back those would be great tuners.

I think that's about it unless somebody else knows another brand.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Don't go with the Stew Mac Golden Age tuners. They stink.
    The Grover 309 will be a great, and affordable, upgrade to the economy tuners that come on the Eastman MD305.

PS- just curious why you require removable buttons?

9. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Grovers are super nice. I have both Grovers (on a Rigel) and Waverlys and the latter aren't that much better in terms of feel and tuning stability.

thanks everyone.

one more question. has anyone did a tuner upgrade on their Eastman MD-305 & used the Grover 309 tuners. and how did they fit & look on the back.
    Last edited by mandolin tony; Nov-05-2017 at 11:21pm. Reason: wanted to add something.

They should swap out pretty easily. You might consider leaving the original bushings in if the posts from the new tuners fit. Sometimes the finish can flake off when you pop the old bushings out. You may need or want to change bushings depending on post size or quality of the original bushings though.
    The look will certainly be an upgrade vs the economy tuners of the MD305. You might see a faint imprint from the old tuner plates on the back, wherever the new tuners don't overlap with their footprint. I wouldn't worry about it. The upgrade in function and quality will far outweigh any slight cosmetic issues that you may encounter.
    I've upgraded many mandolins to better tuning machines. Always a nice improvement.
    Here's a picture of a JBovier where I swapped out from Economy tuners to Grover 308 tuners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JB2.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	162109
    If you look at it up close, you can see a faint mark above the left tuning set where there is a slight imprint from the old tuners. It doesn't bother me and most wouldn't even notice or think twice about it.

Are you doing the swap out yourself or are you having it done for you?

thanks Al, so I will be getting a great deal with the cast Eastman tailpiece & case for $479.00. even with the Grover Tuners at $47.00 that comes out to $526.00. that works out well for me because I do like the gloss finish. I like the way a matt finish feels on my hands.

Maybe I'm just in the mood to brag...
    I just got my mandolin back with the Schaller GrandTune, satin silver, ebony button set just installed. Understated Bling.
    They are what you'd expect from high-end German engineering. They are on a par with Waverlys at less than half the price.
    You could say, "like buttah"!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

Tuning machine gears actually 'slipping' is pretty rare indeed....even with distinctly 'budget' tuners.... there is normally something else going on.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Billy pictures please, I would love to see those ebony buttons on your mandolin. show your baby off !!!.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    thanks Al, so I will be getting a great deal with the cast Eastman tailpiece & case for $479.00. even with the Grover Tuners at $47.00 that comes out to $526.00. that works out well for me because I do like the gloss finish. I like the way a matt finish feels on my hands.
    If you like the satin finish, the Eastman MD305 is the way to go in that price range. From the description, it sounds like you're probably buying from the Mandolin Store. They are great to work with. I'm sure they'll do you right.
    Enjoy!

19. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

yes Al am going with the Mandolin store & I will get the tuners from eBay & install them myself, as long as it is an easy off & on. I also think I will order a nice McClung arm rest in either mahogany or ebony plus a nice strap. does any one know were I can but a nice A model strap that will fit nice in the mandolin case & feel good around my neck.

Read back and you will find people losing the screws that hold buttons on, and the buttons themselves..

so I would drop the replaceable button, for other than the Waverly, from Stew Mac,
    because they can get you those parts, if you do lose them..

At a $500 price point.. or there about..

I'm OK with lesser tuners.. they are able to work when small hole drilling spacing inaccuracy,
    binds up the Waverly tuners...
    BTW the Waverly A tuners as I recall did not have replaceable buttons,
    just the F fill that look niche..

I bought a used mandolin, a past owner jammed in the Waverly A tuners,
    damaging them. Stew Mac was unable to repair them
    so shipped a new set, which I re sold.. having replaced them with their 'Elite' tuners
    that tolerated the small hole spacing discrepancy.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm big on the Grover tuners, they work well and look good. I put them on an Eastman F I have and are much better than the originals, and better than some of the Schallers I have used too.

thanks every one. Rob how did the installation go ?. did you have to do any extra work to make them fit ?. an also how did they look on the back of the peg head, did they cover the shadow of the old tuners or did you see an outline.

I have purchased two very nice straps from Alan Gelman in the Café classifieds (NFI) under mandolin accessories ("hand-tooled straps".) A not bad price for the quality of the straps.

Hi Ladysolo, your right he has very nice straps. but he does not accept PayPal, so I am going with a Lakota strap from the Mandolin store.

One thing to acknowledge, because a mandolin scale is so much shorter ,

you notice its out of tune with a smaller tension variation, than a long scale like a guitar .

been fine with Schaller tuners with permanently attached buttons , even on my F5..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

ok I can deal with permanent buttons. just tell me what they use on the so called better Eastman's.
    Last edited by mandolin tony; Nov-09-2017 at 6:39am.

They were using Schaller tuners.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber