Thread: Is this worth buying? Breedlove Cascade

Question Is this worth buying? Breedlove Cascade

My husband has been looking for a mandolin and bought a cheap one to see if he liked to play it. He has played guitar for nearly 30 years. After plucking around he has really come to enjoy the inexpensive mandolin. That took him nearly 3 years to decide to buy. He only went with a very inexpensive one since most mandolins are made in China, he did not want to splurge a lot of money on something to try out. So, he keeps saying he wishes he could find an american made mandolin at a decent price to buy. I came across this post today that would be about a 2 hr drive if still available.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/d...369268252.html

What I was curious about was the fact it is listed as hand numbered, and no tag inside? My husband knows a lot about Taylors and some electric guitars, but still new to stuff on Mandolins.

As I tried to do my own search, I came across this old posting from another site.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=470404

Should I be concerned over this? Also, does anyone know if Breedlove actually hand numbered anything and did not include an inside label? I have tried to search on here and online. The finish seems much darker than anything I have come across. Thanks

Default Re: Is this worth buying? Breedlove Cascade

That looks like the real deal to me. Breedlove mandolins are often preferred by guitar players due to a slightly larger neck profile and fingerboard. That is a good price on that model as well.
    It is possible that the listing you saw on the guitar forum is the same seller and their sale fell through. I'd contact them to find out.
    There are other options available if you want to buy by mail.

3. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJones28 View Post
    My husband has been looking for a mandolin and bought a cheap one to see if he liked to play it. He has played guitar for nearly 30 years. After plucking around he has really come to enjoy the inexpensive mandolin. That took him nearly 3 years to decide to buy. He only went with a very inexpensive one since most mandolins are made in China, he did not want to splurge a lot of money on something to try out. So, he keeps saying he wishes he could find an american made mandolin at a decent price to buy. I came across this post today that would be about a 2 hr drive if still available.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/d...369268252.html

What I was curious about was the fact it is listed as hand numbered, and no tag inside? My husband knows a lot about Taylors and some electric guitars, but still new to stuff on Mandolins.

As I tried to do my own search, I came across this old posting from another site.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=470404

Should I be concerned over this? Also, does anyone know if Breedlove actually hand numbered anything and did not include an inside label? I have tried to search on here and online. The finish seems much darker than anything I have come across. Thanks
    All good questions. As for the finish, it looks like the red toner finish they used on my Breedlove Legacy OF. I don't know about the hand numbered serial number, unless at some point the label fell out? I haven't seen that Red Toner used on any of their Pac-Rim models though. I'll attach a photo of my Breedlove. It appears to be a similar finish to the one you have.
    I'd recommend calling the seller. At least going over and your husband playing it. If it is the real thing it is a very good price.
    PS: The more I look around the internet, I don't see any "Crossover" (Chinese Models) using that finish. Seems like that Red Gloss is peculiar to USA models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigRed.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	162100  
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

5. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

In one photo that shows the tailpiece from the side, it seems to be not screwed in flush - that would be in the "doweled" area. Or it's just hokey reflections - I can't get the photo to both close-up & center on my screen. In another, but fairly dark, photo it looks good.

I'm no Breedlove authority but #163 would have been early on, and new & tiny companies sometimes can't afford to delay shipments just to wait for labels.

Still, the Cascade is one of their higher-end mandolins, so $800 seems like a good price, considering that seating the tailpeice correctly, if actually needed, should not be a major job. At worst, a 2-hour (scenic!) drive could be pretty educational.

Keep in mind that ANY archtop instrument, due to the shaping involved, costs about double the price of a like-quality flattop guitar like a Taylor, making $800 sound even better. (And hey, I got to tour the Taylor factory over the summer!)
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

7. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

The guitar forum post is from TX, and I live in NC. Should have mentioned that. Could be he was the one who purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    In one photo that shows the tailpiece from the side, it seems to be not screwed in flush - that would be in the "doweled" area. Or it's just hokey reflections - I can't get the photo to both close-up & center on my screen. In another, but fairly dark, photo it looks good.

I'm no Breedlove authority but #163 would have been early on, and new & tiny companies sometimes can't afford to delay shipments just to wait for labels.

Still, the Cascade is one of their higher-end mandolins, so $800 seems like a good price, considering that seating the tailpeice correctly, if actually needed, should not be a major job. At worst, a 2-hour (scenic!) drive could be pretty educational.

Keep in mind that ANY archtop instrument, due to the shaping involved, costs about double the price of a like-quality flattop guitar like a Taylor, making $800 sound even better. (And hey, I got to tour the Taylor factory over the summer!)
    I have to second what Ed just wrote. In the very dark photo the Tailpiece appears to be flush. In the other photo, it could just be a reflection issue. Out side of that, it is, as Ed wrote, one of their more expensive models, so $800.00 is a great buy. From the looks of it, it was well kept if it is an early model. For me, if I really wanted a USA model, I'd take the "scenic" route and check it out.
    Your husband, who plays guitar, could at least see if the tailpiece is at least firmly mounted and if the mandolin, looks, playability and sound, appealed to him.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

10. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

You might want to let your husband play it first, rather than surprise him. You say he took 3 years to pick out his first mandolin, so he may have something in mind that he is looking for. Instruments are a rather personal gift, IMHO. (that's a nice way of saying an ex surprised me with a mandolin once that I hated, but I kept and suffered with because it was a wonderful gesture) My two cents, FWIW.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJones28 View Post
    The guitar forum post is from TX, and I live in NC. Should have mentioned that. Could be he was the one who purchased it.
    Could be. When he decided to sell it he used the same description. A lot of instrument descriptions are copied and pasted.
    Last edited by Bill Kammerzell; Nov-05-2017 at 1:16pm.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Here's a page on Breedlove serial number systems. It says nothing about three-digit, non-labeled serial number markings, which makes me wonder about the way this one's marked.

You've obviously done some "due diligence" about research before you enter into the transaction, so I'd ask the seller [1] why the mandolin's numbered in different fashion from other Breedlove instruments, and [2] why the description is copied verbatim from an older listing from another state.

If answers seem satisfactory, $800 is a good price.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Appears they started that system 209 mandolins into 1999. Before that in was a Year-Number. XX-XXX. So they never used a 3 digit system. Interesting.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

17. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Here is a link to a Cascade for sale here at the Cafe' Classifieds. Looks similar in finish.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115370#115370
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

19. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Thanks for all of the input!! We contacted the person selling it with some of these questions, and he was the one who bought from the earlier ad from the guy in TX. He said he called Breedlove about the hand number inside and the label was missing and was told that the adhesive used when they started the production was not strong and they had problems with labels adhering for long. They explained to him they ended up changing the label adhesive after that was discovered. My husband will be with me to test it out if we can get there on his 2 days off this week.

It will be a nice anniversary present, since later this week is our 26th anniversary (if he decides it is the right fit for him). Part of the delays in getting a mandolin were because we had bought 4 guitars in the past 5 years, from a used one for $500 to hubby's prized Gibson. We have also bought our musical 18 yr old son a different instrument the past 3 years (a nice keyboard, a nice electric guitar, and a drum set). I do believe we may have to part with one or two guitars soon.

Happy Anniversary!
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

23. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

I have an early Breedlove, number 147 (I think). I was told it was a 1997 model when I bought it used from a well known and respected dealer. It does have a label, the initials of Steve Henderson and Kim Breedlove and SN are hand written on it. That description of the tailpiece work sold me that it's authentic. Breedloves of that era had a big hole behind the tailpiece to make it easier to install the neck bolts at the other end of the body using a long wrench. I just don't see anyone going through the trouble to fake that weird anomaly.

I hope this purchase works out for you all. That is a good price!!

25. The following members say thank you to Scott Rucker for this post:

The Mandolin Detective Agency comes through again and again.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Missed this earlier. Obviously, no longer up on the Craigslist site. Not saying you got a great deal - but you paid half of what I did a few months ago for a Cascade from the same time period.

As mine is the top link in the post about 3 digit numbers, you know enough about my search earlier this year. FWIW, this is still my go to mandolin for everything except my band. (They prefer the sound of my Gibson A Jr. because it has more bass.)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

28. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post: