Thread: Upside of not throwing away old picks

Default Upside of not throwing away old picks

For the past week or so, had been unhappy with my tone on the Breedlove Cascade. Now that it's starting to slightly open up, the pick I had been using was sounding a bit too clicky.

So decided to experiment. Have a box with many different styles of picks from the past (mumble) years. After about 2 days of experimenting, and having my wife listen we came to the conclusion that the best picks for this mandolin, right now, are Dunlop Primetone in 351 shape and Wegen bluegrass picks.

Not saying some of these Wegens are old, but the earliest was hand shaped by Michael and I drilled the holes in it (photo below with later version as comparison). This was back when he was first advertising them on Flatpick-L. Haven't really been using them in the past decade, as they've always been tough for me to grip for long periods of time. Will see if things get any better. Sure like how they sound on this mandolin. Haven't tried them on the Gibson A Jr., though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wegen picks.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	162090
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Upside of not throwing away old picks

Well .... I have many lighter / thinner picks I no longer use. I keep a few in my case to give them away when I come across either someone that uses that type or manages to show up w/o plectrum. I do the same thing with lightly used fiddle strings. I am always amazed at / by those players that don't have an extra set of strings in their case...... go figure. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have piles of picks and rarely would throw any away. I am not particularly fond of very rounded picks like Dawg ones but I have gravitated from pointier ones to the slightly rounded BC's lately. Much of it also depends on the type of music i am playing and the mandolin I am playing it on. I figure I can always go back to the ones I started with and like to keep all those options. A few years ago I used smaller jazz picks and occasionally use those. Also, if I play choro tunes on my bandolims then I might use a lighter pick than I would on my standard Brentrup A4C. And besides I am a hoarder.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a pack of Dunlop 2.0 mm purple jobs in the Leaf case, at the ready to give alms to the poor, the tired, the hungry, the pick-less pickers in need...

I evolved over the years into using thicker picks.
    So I keep a few of the under 1mm picks in my case.
    For those times when someone else needs a pick.
    I have a few boutique picks. Several bc and a "Hense" which I use quite often
    About 6 months ago I purchased
    An "Ellis a5 special" .. just recently I received a card in the mail
    From Tom Ellis thanking me for my purchase and enclosed in the
    Card was a Blue chip pick with my mandolins serial number
    And Ellis engraved on it. Nice touch Tom. About 2 years ago I
    Started using fender extra heavys . I like them as well as bc.
    And can get 100 of them for less than 1 BC. So I mostly use them
    But occasionally ( mostly at home) use the BC.

That's cool. Getting a matching BC pick. Besides my pick box, each instrument case usually has a half dozen different picks. Plus the 4 or so that are on my person.

Oh, and none of this includes my personal collection of picks from other players.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I travel a lot, and check out a lot of music stores all over. It's not possible to buy a mandolin everywhere you go (I wish), but picks are always fun to buy. I've got just about one of everything in my travel mando gig bag. I do a lot of playing in between flights by finding an empty gate at the airport, and sit in the back playing quietly. I have found that Golden Gate and Dawg picks (my wife was very nice to me one Christmas) are very quiet when not plucked hard, so I can practice till my fingers hurt without bugging the other folks looking for some oasis of quite in overly-loud airports.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

8. The following members say thank you to Rob Ross for this post:

I have two Gibson Heavy picks I purchased sometime before 1993, when I gave up on the mandolin for 22 years. Wife found them in a box about a year ago. Wish I knew how old they actually are. Could be as old as around 1978 when I bought my first mandolin. Brown in color. Can barely read the Gibson Heavy inscription but its still there.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

10. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post: