Thread: Advice on finding someone in my area for lessons

Default Advice on finding someone in my area for lessons

Hello everyone, just a quick backstory. I started playing mando about a year and a half ago. I have a km-150, for now getting the job done. I have pretty much searched high and low for someone around here that gives lessons. I know of very few mandolin players and none have been willing to give lessons. I have learned a lot in that time from YouTube and on here. I have played for a year and a half and never played with another mandolin player. The odd thing is, I live in Kentucky, you would think mando players would fall from the sky, however I guess they all died here or in my area lol any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Advice on finding someone in my area for lessons

Where are you located in KY? That would help a lot

Laurel County I don’t have many contacts in this area as far as Bluegrass. Just started getting into it about a year and half ago.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I can't recommend anyone, except if you have skype, Mike Compton improved my playing immensely. What I was going to say though is make sure you get a teacher who plays mandolin, not a guitarist who thinks 'they're all the same'... Listening to Thile, Hull, Grisman, Burns, Duffey, McCoury, they don't play it like a guitar. (Bush is a slight exception, but only because he doesn't have the wrist movement since breaking his wrist a couple of decades back - it still doesn't sound like a guitar, though). So make sure they are primarily mandolin, or at least know the difference. THis shouldn't be too hard in Kentucky.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

How far are you from Richmond? Maybe a student in the music school at EKU might be available for mandolin lessons.
    It's worth a call to see if they have anyone there who teaches on the side or tutors music. They also likely have contacts in the area.
    Also, if there are any bluegrass jams in your area, you should go and talk to other musicians there and see if any of them would teach you or have info on teachers in the area

Decide who you like to listen to and then contact him/her. Most pros give Skype lessons now and if you don’t jive then move on and find another and I agree with David Lewis, above all find a mandolin player for lessons.

Have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I understand what you mean. By make sure they are a mandolin player. I am 40 miles from Richmond. May give that a shot.

Robby's Music in London of any help?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Not when I asked last year

Bulletin boards at the local music store will often have flyers about lessons.

Not for mandolin here, it is maddening. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    What I was going to say though is make sure you get a teacher who plays mandolin, not a guitarist who thinks 'they're all the same
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I've always been puzzled by "playing the mandolin like a guitar." What's that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I've always been puzzled by "playing the mandolin like a guitar." What's that mean?
    There are a lot of demos and reviews on the web with some guy playing open chords and strumming the mandolin like a guitar. IMHO.