Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fender Tru-Shell picks

Default Re: Fender Tru-Shell picks

Speaking of Casein picks, has anyone tried these?

https://www.emlpicks.com/collections/casein-picks

I'm currently playing a pick from http://www.manouchepicks.com/ that he made for me in 1.5mm. I want to adjust the bevel on it a little, but otherwise I'm really happy with it.

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post

I'm currently playing a pick from http://www.manouchepicks.com/ that he made for me in 1.5mm. I want to adjust the bevel on it a little, but otherwise I'm really happy with it.
    I have had good results with casein picks; the manouche picks look very promising. I'll check those out! Thank you.

I love Jeff comparing them to analog tape or ribbon mics. I know just what he means, and seeing how most original first generation BG was recorded on analog tape with a ribbon mic that is how BG is supposed to sound. Looks like I’ll have to try a new pick.

I've been a big fan of the Manouche picks for a while now. What version are you using? Both Perry Stenback and Adam Schlenker use (and sell) picks in that thickness. Happen to have picks from both.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

They do look like something I’d like to try. The site doesn’t show an option for a rounded bevel, though. Only a right or left hand bevel. I would only try one if I was ble to get a rounded edge. I hate the tone the bevel produces.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    I've been a big fan of the Manouche picks for a while now. What version are you using? Both Perry Stenback and Adam Schlenker use (and sell) picks in that thickness. Happen to have picks from both.
    My mandolin pick from him is the Pierre shape in 1.5mm with holes. I also have an Irene model in 3mm for gypsy jazz rhythm.

The bevels can be customized.

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

So I ordered one of these from Amazon and could not get an extra heavy. They kept sending me the medium, even though I returned the item and explained I wanted an extra heavy (they would just resend a medium). I got to keep one of them, but returned the latest one for a refund. So keep this in mind if you're trying to order from Amazon. There is something wrong with the order form. When I click Extra Heavy for the size, the product description changes to say medium. When I click medium, it changes to heavy, etc. So I'm not surprised there are issues.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and ended up ordering from Elderly Instruments instead. I haven't received the extra heavy yet, but here's what I can say about the medium: I like the tone, but it's a little bright and clicky for my taste. Although I expect the extra heavy thickness will correct that. What I do not like about them is the feel. They seem more slippery in my hand compared to blue chip, wegens, and fender celluloid. So I don't like that feel.

I'll report back if there's any difference with the extra heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    So I ordered one of these from Amazon and could not get an extra heavy. They kept sending me the medium, even though I returned the item and explained I wanted an extra heavy (they would just resend a medium). I got to keep one of them, but returned the latest one for a refund. So keep this in mind if you're trying to order from Amazon. There is something wrong with the order form. When I click Extra Heavy for the size, the product description changes to say medium. When I click medium, it changes to heavy, etc. So I'm not surprised there are issues.
    Exactly the same thing happened to me, although my order says "Extra Heavy." I think the problem is that the product name says "Medium," so when you select Extra Heavy, the product name doesn't change from Medium.

Sending all of them back; guess I'll try buying elsewhere too.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

They're cheaper on Elderly anyway, AND shipping seems to be free right now (at least on things the size of picks).

... There is something wrong with the order form. When I click Extra Heavy for the size, the product description changes to say medium. When I click medium, it changes to heavy, etc. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMandoKit View Post
    Exactly the same thing happened to me, although my order says "Extra Heavy." ...
    Amazon carries these in three "sizes", M, H, & EH, and two "styles", 346 and 351. They don't always have every size in stock in every style. Say you click on extra heavy for size and then click on 351 for style. If they only have mediums in style 351, the system will say you ordered a medium - the style you select will override the size you select. When you've selected what you want to order, look at the size and style boxes again - the system will show the size & style combination that the system recognizes highlighted with a brown border. Check these before you hit Add To Cart. The system will not allow you to order a combination that isn't available.

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    Amazon carries these in three "sizes", M, H, & EH, and two "styles", 346 and 351. They don't always have every size in stock in every style. Say you click on extra heavy for size and then click on 351 for style. If they only have mediums in style 351, the system will say you ordered a medium - the style you select will override the size you select. When you've selected what you want to order, look at the size and style boxes again - the system will show the size & style combination that the system recognizes highlighted with a brown border. Check these before you hit Add To Cart. The system will not allow you to order a combination that isn't available.
    I did that. The system showed the correct style and size boxes selected. But I got a medium anyway. And the product description still said medium. What's even stranger is that, if I selected a different size, the product description would change to some other size. Clearly something is screwed up with ordering these. In other words, all the sizes were available. I could select any one of them, but the product description would update to the wrong size.

I'd rather support Elderly Instruments anyway, so I'm not gonna worry about this. I also ordered some Fender celluloid picks through Amazon and I think I got knock-offs. They didn't feel like what I'm used to. Buyer beware! Amazon is great for most stuff though.

I did that. The system showed the correct style and size boxes selected. But I got a medium anyway. And the product description still said medium. What's even stranger is that, if I selected a different size, the product description would change to some other size. Clearly something is screwed up with ordering these. In other words, all the sizes were available. I could select any one of them, but the product description would update to the wrong size.
    My experience was similar to Stevo's. The order showed correct style & thickness, but the product title still showed "medium. " So now I have 4 mediums to return instead of 2. Sheesh.

I'm a long - time Elderly customer; probably should have gone there first anyway.

Or maybe I already have enough picks...
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

It looks to me as though the boxes that show the Medium, Heavy, or Extra Heavy are wrong. If you click on Heavy, Extra Heavy shows in the photo and that's what goes into your cart. If you click on Medium, Heavy shows in the photo and that is what goes into the cart. Click on Extra Heavy and Medium is in the photo.

It's interesting that I ordered mine through Amazon and didn't have that issue. It must have started after I ordered.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

My Amazon experience is the same, ie, ordered 'heavy' and got a medium. Not a bad pick though, although 'medium' is significantly thinner than a Red Bear medium. its about 1.0 mm, comparing it to other picks, not measuring. Elderly is out of stock on 'heavy' and doesn't list an 'extra heavy'.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I may have gotten the last Extra Heavy from Elderly. It's in the mail.

Glad I'm not the only one with the Amazon problem. I was seeing the same thing. I wasn't sure which way to go. Go with the box I had selected, or go by what the picture was showing. Apparently it was wrong to go with the box I had selected.

I had them send me a new one and they did not make me return the medium, but I got another medium even though I explained the problem and explained that I wanted an extra heavy. So I returned the second medium. Hopefully I will get a refund and at least I'll get to keep the medium for my trouble.

I'll report on what I think about the extra heavy. Should have it by Monday or Tuesday.

I may have gotten the last Extra Heavy from Elderly.
    I was looking at the Elderly site and I didn't see the 346 shape in Extra Heavy. I think in the future I will just order them directly from Fender. They seem to show all shapes and thicknesses on their site.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

I got a Medium, Heavy and Extra Heavy from Amazon in the 346 shape. Interesting thing is that the Heavy version I got is about 15% smaller than the Medium and Extra Heavy.

I did put a little bevel on one of edges of the Extra Heavy and it brightened it considerably and it feels a lot faster / better now. Without the bevel it felt very laggy when playing quick notes. It’s nice to be able to add just the amount of bevel you want and the material is easy to shape.

Hawk Picks coming in tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    I got a Medium, Heavy and Extra Heavy from Amazon in the 346 shape. Interesting thing is that the Heavy version I got is about 15% smaller than the Medium and Extra Heavy.

I did put a little bevel on one of edges of the Extra Heavy and it brightened it considerably and it feels a lot faster / better now. Without the bevel it felt very laggy when playing quick notes. It’s nice to be able to add just the amount of bevel you want and the material is easy to shape.

Hawk Picks coming in tomorrow!
    Looking forward to your review on the Hawk pick.

Just got my Fender Tru-Shell Extra Heavy. Right away I realised I'd need to put a right hand bevel on it (too dark and not enough volume). After adding the bevel it brightened up and is nice and loud. I normally play a BC CT-55 or a Wegen TF 140. I'd say it sounds and plays similar to both of those after adding the bevel. Actually, I'd say it's a little brighter (more treble) and louder than both the BC and the Wegen. So that's good.

The thing I don't like about it is the material feels more slippery in my hands. BC picks stick to my fingers so well. Honestly, that's why I like BC picks so much. I have found other picks that have similar or even better tone, but they never feel as good in my hands or against the strings. So I don't know if I'm sold yet, but I do like the tone of the Tru-shell so I'll keep playing it. And they're about 1/4 the cost of a BC.

Other info:

The tru-shell medium (346 shape) is 1mm thick and the tru-shell extra heavy (also 346) is 1.55 mm. So these do not follow the same standards as the classic Fender picks with respect to medium, heavy and extra heavy. Just FYI when purchasing.

While I was ordering, I also decided to give one of the John Pearse casein picks a try. It's one of the "turtle shell fast mandolin" picks with sort of an odd shape and an indent for the thumb. I got the medium, which is about 2.5 mm thick. It does have a nice full tone but not loud enough and sort of clicky. I also don't really like the way if feels in my hand with the thumb indent. So that one doesn't make the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    They do look like something I’d like to try. The site doesn’t show an option for a rounded bevel, though. Only a right or left hand bevel. I would only try one if I was ble to get a rounded edge. I hate the tone the bevel produces.
    Hi, I'm the owner of EML Picks. I've browsed this forum for a few years now, but after receiving an email from a forum member and seeing this thread, I decided it was time to finally join.
    Regarding the bevels, the right of left-handed option are the default because the overwhelming majority of orders prior to the website going up earlier this month wanted an oriented bevel (and the quality of tone it produces depends heavily on the way the bevel is shaped). However, picks with non-oriented rounded bevels are available to anyone, as are any other custom features. Send me a message via the website's contact form before ordering, and any design features can be added, typically at no extra cost from the base model.
    I of course want to respect the forum's guidelines regarding vendor activity, so any order inquiries should be done via the website, but if anybody has general product questions, or just want to talk about pick making, materials, etc, that would be very nice!

Regards,
    Eric Lopez
    Owner of emlpicks.com

Got mine last night, absolutely hated it. Poor polishing, bad beveling, no comparison to a Red Bear. If anyone wants one, you can have this one to try. Maybe others will like it better, but it didn't work for me

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    Got mine last night, absolutely hated it. Poor polishing, bad beveling, no comparison to a Red Bear. If anyone wants one, you can have this one to try. Maybe others will like it better, but it didn't work for me
    At their price, the Fender Tru Shell picks are definitely what I would consider a "work in progress" pick. With added beveling and light polishing, they can be quite nice, although it's certainly up to the individual whether it's worth the time to put in the extra work into Fender's new picks.
    Owner of emlpicks.com

Like the sound, don’t miss the polishing or the bevel I just can’t hold on to it

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Like the sound, don’t miss the polishing or the bevel I just can’t hold on to it
    I second that. They don't stay put like a blue chip (or even a Fender classic celluloid for that matter).

Will the polishing help them stick a little better? Anyone have problems holding on to any of the other fancier casein picks?

What do you reckon is the best way to polish these up? I used a felt dremel polishing bit with some polishing compound after I added a bevel and that seemed to work.

Casein picks start sticking well for me after they get warmed up in my grip. Cold they can slip. After a half hour or so, they're fine. That's with my hands and my body chemistry.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723