Thread: Tenor Guitar Gathering

Default Tenor Guitar Gathering

Has anyone ever been to the tenor guitar gathering in Astoria, Oregon? I'm considering going next year but the haven't posted any info ie: dates for 2018 yet.
    Good experience? Learn much? Are there other tenor guitar festivals? Do any mandolin fests have a nice section for us tenor and other fifth tuned instruments?

Default Re: Tenor Guitar Gathering

I am in Astoria, they have used the 1st weekend in June, in past years ..

Weekends I'm working days, but did visit the night concerts and some of the open jams..

Last year I missed it entirely,

Others, here, who attended, said they leaned toward teaching Chicago tuning,
    as It's become Josh Reynolds organizing it, (with the passing of Mark Josephs..)

And that is what his Dad recorded while with Kingston trio , was playing..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Tenor Guitar Gathering

I have not attended, but I sure would love to make it next year. The concerts, jamming, and just meeting folks would have to be outa sight! Wouldn't worry too much about tunings. I have only done cgda on tenor, would love to try gdae like on my pava, but i am having too much fun to want to change strings. For dgbe i would just ignore the low strings of my 6 string and play along..I heard they did a Woody Guthrie thing one year. Too Cool. I would love to see Astoria and the Columbia as well.

Scott