Thread: How much does it cost to use Skype for lessons?

Default How much does it cost to use Skype for lessons?

I asked my mandolin teacher, Brian Oberlin, if he gives Skype lessons. He does, and I am cautiously thrilled because he's my teacher but has moved across the country from where I live. And Brian is a great teacher -- we work together very, very well. I am a self-learner, and I ask Brian questions and he helps with answers and technical details I need. I've learned so much from him already.

I don't know anything about Skype. Is there a per-minute charge to use it? I will be using my Windows 7 desktop computer, I read that one can subscribe to Skype for $2.95 a month? But my brother says it's free??? I know that I'll need to buy a microphone. What connection speed do I need to keep Skype from cutting out? Is Windows 7 going to be limiting? Anything else anyone can tell me about Skype lessons?

Default Re: How much does it cost to use Skype for lessons?

Skype to Skype calls are free; I think the cost comes in to play when you Skype an actual telephone.

That's very helpful info! Thank you!

I assume that you’ll be doing the lesson via a video call rather than voice only?

In which case you’ll need up- and download speeds of at least 1.2 MB/s, but I’d say that 5 is a more realistic figure based on my experience. Remember that both you and your teacher will need this capacity as you’ll be limited by the slowest connection. If it’s not built into your computer you’ll need a camera and microphone

I've used Skype a lot, but recently I found the video call facility on Facebook much faster and clearer. I know there are people here who think Facebook is the devil incarnate, but I'm one of the few billion people who disagree.

Ron and OneChordTrick, I'll stick with Skype. Glad Facebook works for you. I've written my teacher to ask what his connection speed is. Mine is 1.5 MB/s.

I answered in your other thread but thought I’d post here too in case someone looks in the future.

Skype to Skype calls are free...(2017)...and as long as you both have good speed they go fine. I have read that a direct connection is best rather than WiFi but I use WiFi and I’m very close to the router and it goes great. Occasionally there is interference and a few weeks ago the system went down worldwide for a short time but was back up quickly.

There is no 2 way mic so you can’t play along together but it’s not a big deal...it makes me shut up and listen and your teacher should send you some mp3 tracks to play along with...you can always make your own jam tracks too or use an app/program and there are lots of free/paid ones on internet.

I know people who use Facebook and some use FaceTime and they say it works great..options are good I suppose. Maybe the 2 way mic works on those especially FaceTime...I might check that out myself.

Can’t answer about windows 7...isn’t that an older version, you might need to upgrade for optimum performance. Get yourself a Chrome book (they cost around $250) and have a built in camera and mic and would work. An iPad would work too, I used to Skype on an iPad mini and a few times on my iPhone 4s...It worked fine but pic is small. Now I have a monster iMac (21.5” screen) and it works great with the built in camera and mic...no fancy gear is needed as you’re not recording so save your money and potential frustrations with equip, especially on an older system.

Good luck, I have been Skyping with Emory Lester for years now and it goes great I’m sure you will do fine with your sessions, have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I've used Skype a lot, but recently I found the video call facility on Facebook much faster and clearer. I know there are people here who think Facebook is the devil incarnate, but I'm one of the few billion people who disagree.
    Hi Ron, does the 2 way mic work on Facebook video calls?
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Hi Ron, does the 2 way mic work on Facebook video calls?
    I'm really not sure. I have used the Facebook video call service, and had no trouble talking back and forth with friends. I have not used it for music exchanges, but the clarity and real-time nature of the audio makes me think it will work well.

10. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post: