Thread: Mandolin topics for Elderly Instruments blog

Question Mandolin topics for Elderly Instruments blog

Good afternoon all,

I'm one of the newer guys at Elderly Instruments, and one of my jobs is running the new Elderly Instruments blog. One thing I would like to do is one informational/educational/historical post per month. Some topics I've hit so far are Why Are Large Guitars Called Dreadnoughts and 5 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Banjo.

So what are some mandolin-centric topics you would like to see addressed? I'd love to hear what you guys think. Also, if anyone is interested in writing a guest post on some sort of mandolin topic, shoot me an email at ty@elderly.com.

Cheers!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tyforquer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mandolin topics for Elderly Instruments blog

A short treatise on the different types of mandolin –– bowl-back, flat-back with either a canted or a flat top, carved-top in either A- or F-models, plus other types such as solid-body electric, resonator -- maybe even the different "family members," such as mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello etc. -- might be of interest to the general reader, even one who's contemplating buying an instrument from you. Construction differences, styles of music generally played on each type, etc.

We get 'way "into the weeds" here on the Cafe, and I assume you're aiming at a broader audience, one who may have a bit of knowledge of the instrument, but doesn't want to get overwhelmed with minutiae.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    A short treatise on the different types of mandolin –– bowl-back, flat-back with either a canted or a flat top, carved-top in either A- or F-models, plus other types such as solid-body electric, resonator -- maybe even the different "family members," such as mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello etc. -- might be of interest to the general reader, even one who's contemplating buying an instrument from you. Construction differences, styles of music generally played on each type, etc.

We get 'way "into the weeds" here on the Cafe, and I assume you're aiming at a broader audience, one who may have a bit of knowledge of the instrument, but doesn't want to get overwhelmed with minutiae.
    +1 on this great suggestion

6. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

Stan Werblin is one of my favorite people and Elderly one of my favorite vendors, NFI. We appreciate your asking us for mandolin issues. Some that come to mind are proper setup (worth paying more?), tone wood effect, f hole vs oval hole, F5 vs F4 vs hybrids, genre specific mandolins (Sobell for instance). Boutique vs. box store regards to value and much more. Thanks again.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

8. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Allen pretty much said it all for me as well. The only things I'd add, probably a follow up post, (as you need to blog regularly, as you know!) would be how pick and string choices can make a big difference. I know a few touring pros who get mentions here on the cafe have told me that they feel sting and pick choices are more important to them than the actual mandolin. Not sure if they're exaggerating, but it is an interesting point of view. Then agin, maybe that's heading out into Allen's weeds...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlieshafer For This Useful Post:

How about a post demonstrating instruments that have certain sound qualities, ie. "Tubby," "woody," "Good Bark," etc.

Those terms always seem to cause confusion around here, and I'd expect that a good description with sound clips would get a bunch of links from here.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KEB For This Useful Post:

It might be interesting to do a post on either famous instruments or the instruments of famous players through the years.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

14. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Just in case you were thinking about it, "A Style vs F", "The Blue Chip Pick", and "Do mandolins really open up" are topics that I personally would not touch with a barge pole.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

I agree with OldSausage about mandolins "opening up". I'd also love to see a post about different topwoods and the differences between them like Englemann, Adirondack, sitka, etc. Plus HUMIDIFICATION!
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

18. The following members say thank you to dchernack for this post:

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Advice for aspiring multi-instrumentalist: 3 or 5 or whatever ways the mandolin is not a guitar. Topics include left and right hand technique, chords and accompaniment strategy, the symmetry and beauty of 5ths tuning in scale patterns, the dusty end of the fingerboard starts at the 7th, not the 5th fret.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Neverisky For This Useful Post:

Welcome Ty!

I guess you’re finding out what an opinionated bunch mandolinists are. You have enough topics now for a decade of blogs!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

22. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Thanks for so many quick and helpful responses! A lot of good ideas here (and if you have more, keep 'em coming!). I'll certainly be around the forums from time to time to take advantage of all the experience and opinions here.
    Ty Forquer
    Creative Strategist
    Elderly Instruments

Many opinions here Ty, lots of ideas, keep in touch!
    Maybe something about the late ‘70’s pac rim introduction of surprisingly serviceable mandolins? There are some (maybe many)who were introduced to mandolins after that period when the Ibanez, Alvarez, Aria instruments made the first inroads.
    Just a thought
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

25. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Frosty View Post
    Advice for aspiring multi-instrumentalist: 3 or 5 or whatever ways the mandolin is not a guitar. Topics include left and right hand technique, chords and accompaniment strategy, the symmetry and beauty of 5ths tuning in scale patterns, the dusty end of the fingerboard starts at the 7th, not the 5th fret.
    Second this (these).

27. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

Also might be nice to do a blog on what a "step up" from a beginner mandolin would look like - we find many inquiries here from folks interested in moving up to a better instrument, but they're looking at instruments that are just a move "sideways" from what they've already got, rather than a bump up (due to lack of knowledge).
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

29. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Just in case you were thinking about it, "A Style vs F", "The Blue Chip Pick", and "Do mandolins really open up" are topics that I personally would not touch with a barge pole.
    I guess we could add "Use of 4th finger" to that list!

31. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by KEB View Post
    How about a post demonstrating instruments that have certain sound qualities, ie. "Tubby," "woody," "Good Bark," etc.

Those terms always seem to cause confusion around here, and I'd expect that a good description with sound clips would get a bunch of links from here.
    That's a great idea. Can't think of another string instrument that has such a range of sounds for different music genres. From the clean ringing string tone of classical mando to the snare drum effect of a bluegrass chop. There's a wonderful range of sound instrument-to-instrument.

33. The following members say thank you to dshipp for this post: