Thread: Is this mandolin damaged?

Question Is this mandolin damaged?

I just got my first mandolin, a Kentucky KM-250. I don't really know much about mandolins beyond what I've started to learn from doing research on this forum.

I noticed that there are faint lines that look like cracking at the base of the neck. Is it normal to see the seam between the neck and body like this?

Thank you for the help and advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_081655.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	162016

Name:	20171102_081728.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	162018

Name:	20171102_081808.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	162017

===========

Default Re: Is this mandolin damaged?

MY UNPROFESSIONAL OPINION is that yes it is 'damaged' - but definitely repairable. A good luthier should be able to shoot something into the cracks to stabilize the neck, and after that it should be fine. The most definitive way to tell if the crack is 'bad' is to simply bring the strings up to pitch and play it - if it stays in tune you are in good shape . . . . if it keep falling out of tune, then you need to bring it to someone for repair.

Good luck.

3. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

If you just bought it, I would contact the seller and see if you can return it.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Putting glue into a crack does not fix it, it needs to be clamped and fit well. If the neck joint is loose and causing the crack a neck reset would be required to fix it. Send it back.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Return it.

9. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

Looks like it took an impact while the strings were tuned to pitch, causing a stress crack. If it is new, I'd return it. If it is used, it might be something you can live with. Is the action high? Does it say in tune? I've seen instruments like this stay like this for years without getting worse. OTOH, if the gap gets worse and the tuning drifts, then it needs to be fixed.

11. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Blog Entries

I would return it if possible. resetting the neck will likely cost half of what it is worth.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

13. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I would return it if possible. resetting the neck will likely cost half of what it is worth.

Jamie

Ohhhh noo..

I did, unfortunately, purchase this mandolin from someone on Craigslist. I asked the seller about the lines and he said they were normal. He's a pastor, and I guess I was naive enough to trust him.

So lesson learned.. always get instruments inspected before buying on CL.

Are there any other things I should have looked for? Is there a sticky compilation of like, "signs of damage"?

I would say they are common, but not normal. Like I mentioned, you might be fine, just keep an eye on it, if it plays OK. What happens is that during a light impact, the neck wood can flex and still stay glued to the neck joint, but the finish cracks as a result. Of course, during a harder impact the wood can crack.

Pastor or not the lines are not normal. As Jeff says it may just be finish cracking, I would play it and see if it moves.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

17. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Flex the neck and see if you can feel any change in the crack. If not it is either a finish crack or a very shallow crack. I think a neck reset is a bit premature.

Teacher, repair person

Cracks of that sort are usually caused by surface stress from an impact, glue joint failure between the neck block and back or sides, cracks in the dovetail or neck block, perhaps a neck that is loose in the dovetail joint, or a combination of more than one of the above. If it's impact damage and nothing else, it may hold for a long time. If it's glue joint failure, it will most likely deteriorate more. The more I look at the pictures, the more I suspect a loose neck block.

Glue joint failure in the dovetail requires removal of the neck to perform the repair. Glue joint failure between the neck block and the back or sides requires partial removal of the back to perform the repair. Some of these are difficult and expensive repairs, especially on some imported mandolins. The street price for that mandolin new is $375. The cost of repairing any of the above glue joints by a competent repairman is likely to be well over $100 at the very least, and may exceed the price of the mandolin new.

For your sake, I hope that it is stress cracks in the finish from an impact damage only-- it might hold for years. It sounds unlikely that you will be able to return the instrument.
    Last edited by rcc56; Nov-02-2017 at 10:59pm.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

It does look like 'damage' - but how was it caused ?. If it was caused by string tension (unlikely ?),then that would be coupled with a high action as the neck bowed upwards. If it was caused by 'impact',then i'd maybe expect there to be some signs of it on the mandolin further up the neck. It would take a fairly stiff blow to the back of the neck / headstock cause such damage (IMHO).

I'd maybe leave it as it is & see how it goes for the next few weeks & keep an eye open for any further signs of movement. If it does move further,take it to a good luthier for their opinion,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

22. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

They can crack like that without external signs up towards the peghead... being sat on while in a gig bag will do it.... warning: do not test this at home! I have seen it more than once, however. It looks to be more than mere finish cracking to me. I'd be highly suspicious of this one.....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

when Pastors can walk on water that's when I will trust them fully, until then they are just regular guys just like us. an shame on him for saying that. an take it to a shop you trust & have them look at it & see what they think

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolin tony For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for the advice. I'm grateful to have a community like this to ask for help. It is what it is, and I'm happier knowing what the possibilities are.

I contacted a local shop to take a look at it. Then I put my disappointment aside, tuned it up and practiced a bit last night. It hasn't imploded yet so we'll see how things go.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Just for some perspective on "normal" vs. "common" in the larger scheme of things:

Keep in mind that this is a lower-line instrument, w/ appropriately lower price, where this level of "damage" is relatively common. BUT, that's mainly because the thick-ish finish was applied after the neck & body were assembled. Had this been a higher level instrument (and you can go right up to top-of-the-line Gibson mandolins or Martin guitars) that had undergone a similar shock or drop, the body & neck would have been finished separately so that there'd be no evidence of "damage" and we would, and do, continue being thrilled with their level of quality & workmanship. In other words, IMHO, the "damage", assuming no looseness of the neck, is primarily cosmetic.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Clergy are schooled in a very specific curriculum, most are not well versed in instrument construction and why should they be? His knowledge of the problem has absolutely no bearing on that problem. You might have bought it from a plumber and he might have said the same thing, they do not walk on water either, they just know that it is supposed to run downhill. No shame in telling someone their opinion.
    Sorry for the rant,
    If the instrument plays well and the damage does not get worse, I wouldn’t worry about it. Look at it every time you get it out of the case to play, if it starts to enlarge and tuning becomes an issue, move along to a better instrument when you can.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Noreason good morning, hopefully there is nothing wrong with it & you can keep it & enjoy or if you like you can sell it. maybe they can sand out the finish flaws if it is ok so that way you won't have to look at it & remember the misinformation from the former owner.