Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric mandolin.

Default Re: Electric mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Used a Godin mandolin on stage for 10 years. Very reliable and I highly recommend it.

Thanks for your very valuable advice.
    My curiosity, the bridge is glued?

Godin all the way.

Original Godin's had a fixed bridge but a few years ago they changed the design to make it height adjustable. If you're buying new, that is new from the factory, you'll be fine. Be aware that some dealers will have stock for quite a while so while they are selling something as "new" it may be old relative to what is current in the market.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

3. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Godin all the way.

Original Godin's had a fixed bridge but a few years ago they changed the design to make it height adjustable. If you're buying new, that is new from the factory, you'll be fine. Be aware that some dealers will have stock for quite a while so while they are selling something as "new" it may be old relative to what is current in the market.
    OK, thank's

Godin all the way.

The bridge is adjustable in height and is a great feature. But is the bridge glued (fixed) on the harmonic plane? Is the bridge's position fixed?

Okay, let's be real about the tech behind the Godin.

They use RMC piezo saddles mounted to the bridge. The good news is the RMC system is the best [I'm aware of] for reproducing an "acoustic" sounding electric signal.

Because of the design each saddle is an independent pickup for the string it sits under. Those wires are then fed through to the body and electronics cavity causing more wiring issues than other designs. I don't believe the bridge can be moved because that would compromise the integrity of the electronics, but they've changed the design so you can adjust the height to accommodate action.

I don't have a Godin mandolin but I do have a Godin Multiac guitar with the same tech. The bridge is fixed, like any other flattop guitar, but the folks at Godin did their homework so there is no necessity to move it around. Pretty plug and play.

Godin is the world's largest maker of guitars. They are a major supplier for necks, bodies, etc. to people like Fender which means when you buy a MIA Fender you're really buying a Godin with Fender branding.

I have no financial interest, but also have no problem recommending Godin if the style of instrument suits your needs. They are top-shelf all the way.

- ---==< V >==--- -

7. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

I used to own one, Found: because the neck bolted on the action was easy to modify..

I simply moved the neck upwards by using 4 flat washers slipped in the body/neck gap
    and then had each screw through the hole in the washer,

so the adjustment was still solid again when those wood screws were snugged down tight, again..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Godin is the world's largest maker of guitars. They are a major supplier for necks, bodies, etc. to people like Fender which means when you buy a MIA Fender you're really buying a Godin with Fender branding.
    Are you sure about this? Godin makes good stuff. I had one of their solid body electrics, and it was super nice. I've never heard anything ever about them being the largest maker of guitars, or supplying anything to anybody.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinita View Post
    I want a mandolin f-style, not solid body, the budget I would spend is about € 1000
    What's the best electric mandolin?
    Solid body?
    Can anyone know me about the Mandolin ortega RMFE AVO?
    I like F-style.
    I play irish music.

Thank's
    I have the Godin A-8. Excellent quality workmanship, nice low playable action, very clean amplified sound.

Godin, a Montreal company, went CNC big-time and has plants all over North America. The fact that they OEM parts to peeps like Fender isn't generally known outside the industry for reasons that should be pretty obvious. There has been some trade ink on it, but it tends to be insider stuff. They do talk about it a NAMM pretty openly IME.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Has anyone played the Ortega electric mandolin?

I've been around these parts for a while now and have scoured the NAMM tradeshow floors for years and have never heard of them.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Ortega appears to be a European brand, most of us on the Cafe are in the USA. Ortega only has one distributor in the US so most of us have never heard of the brand.
    https://ortegaguitars.com/dealers/distributions/Dealer/

According to the Ortega website, over 100 US stores carry their instruments.

Godin is the world's largest maker of guitars.
    I've always heard it was Samick, FWIW. At least they were 20 years ago. I tried a Google search for a definitive answer and found a quote by Robert Godin stating, "I think" we're the largest producer of guitars in the Americas. No mention of the world, again FWIW. Samick states they are the largest producers of pianos in the world and "one of" the largest producers of guitars in the world. Cort is also described as "one of" the largest producers of guitars in the world by Wikipedia. Like ya say, it might be how you define "maker" -- that is, parts vs completed guitars? Not sure. You would think there would be a definite "largest." BTW, I like Godin stuff, as a rule.

Without doubt Samick rules the roost for off-shore brands. A ton of Yamaha, Squier, etc. are Samick instruments - and very fine ones at that.

As my foggy memory serves it was probably someone at the Godin NAMM room that mentioned it. And that is kinda backed up by their NAMM footprint. Noobs are in the downstairs, most of the rest are on the main floor with Fender, Gibson and Godin upstairs with their own rooms, stages, etc. NAMM show placement is all about how you fit in the industry pecking order, so Godin has quite a bit of pull. PRS, as one example, is on the main floor with all the rest.

I don't want to nitpick details, but it isn't any secret Godin is a major CNC player and does a ton of OEM business. Sorry if I was a bit over-zealous in my post and it should read "America's" to be correct. Thanks for pointing it out.

- ---==< V >==--- -

what kind of electric mandolin did Yank Rachell play, that think was smoking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    what kind of electric mandolin did Yank Rachell play, that think was smoking hot.
    Harmony Batwing. John Paul Jones also played one live on Led Zeppelin gigs.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Harmony Batwing. John Paul Jones also played one live on Led Zeppelin gigs.
    Well, 5 Zep gigs anyway. :-) (He only played it at the 5 Earl's Court shows in May 1975)

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Well, 5 Zep gigs anyway. :-) (He only played it at the 5 Earl's Court shows in May 1975)
    Is Earl's Court what is on the double DVD set? That is my only point of reference and it appears to be an amalgam of a bunch of different shows. Mr. googley shows him with a bunch of different mando's so he didn't appear to be faithful to any one in particular.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Is Earl's Court what is on the double DVD set? That is my only point of reference and it appears to be an amalgam of a bunch of different shows. Mr. googley shows him with a bunch of different mando's so he didn't appear to be faithful to any one in particular.
    Yes, the DVD set has songs from May 24 and 25 1975 from Earl's Court. When JPJ first started playing mandolin on stage in 1970 it was a Martin (acoustic), then later he used a Framus solid body electric (fall '71), a Fender mandocaster ('72) and an unidentified (still to this day, kinda looks Kay-like) instrument in late '71/early '72.

24. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

At least one Cafe member has played Ortega mandolins. There's some info here in this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...tega-Mandolins

If you're determined to get an Ortega, and it sounds like you are, then seek out one made from solid woods, no plywood.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls