Thread: Has anyone bought a Kentucky KM-140 recently?

Question Has anyone bought a Kentucky KM-140 recently?

Does it have a carved top? I can't seem to find a definite answer. I'm on the verge of ordering one, but if it does not have a carved top, I'm going to order "The Loar" LM170 instead.

Default Re: Has anyone bought a Kentucky KM-140 recently?

looks like if you want a carved top Kentucky you have to start at model # km-250 or better. I have a Loar lm-600, I don't like the neck to wide. I like my Kentucky km-805 much more than the Loar. also from what I understand even pressed top solid wood mandolins need a little hand craving to make them right. with any luck maybe Robert from folk musician will read this & set me right if I am mistaken. get a Kentucky I think you will be more happy in the long run, I love my 805.

I would agree about the KM 805. Got one in a trade for a guitar I couldn't bond with, don't know the new price but used they are a good value. I don't know about the lower-priced Kentuckys.

http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...px?item=KM-140
    Solid carved Sitka spruce top gives you clean articulation and a crisp, bright tone
    If you can afford to step up to the KM-150 You'll also get solid maple back and sides instead of laminated mahogany on the KM-140

Here is Robert's comparison on his site
    https://www.folkmusician.com/blogs/m...m-150-mandolin

Elderly lists the KM-140 in stock at $235
    and says
    Top: Solid German Spruce
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-140-mandolin.htm

Thanks everyone - All things being equal, I've decided on "The Loar" LM110A, simply because it does have a carved top. I'd like to get a higher-end Kentucky, but it's simply not in the budget at this time, and I'm just a beginner.

I think the Kentucky is a better instrument than the Loar. The Loar, though it has a carved top, it still not that well made and the top thickness is not graduated well. It results in a less lively soundboard. So, all things are not equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    Thanks everyone - All things being equal, I've decided on "The Loar" LM110A, simply because it does have a carved top. I'd like to get a higher-end Kentucky, but it's simply not in the budget at this time, and I'm just a beginner.
    The KM-140 does have a carved, solid top. It has laminated back and sides. It's not hand-carved, which you get in the more expensive Kentucky instruments, and the Loar does claim to be hand-carved, so that's an advantage.

Parenthetically, I wonder just how much "hand" carving there is in a $250 mandolin. Hand-finishing, perhaps, but I assume a computer-controlled machine does most of the work.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I bought a KM 140 last November from a local music store. It does have a carved solid top and sounds great. I have been thinking of selling mine because I just picked up a Kentucky KM 950 from The Mandolin Store as my back-up instrument. I am not using this forum as a place to sell but feel free to contact me at samsonlyman@gmail.com if you want to chat about the pros and cons of the KM 140.
    I compared the 140 to The Loar's equivalent and found the Kentucky to have a better feel and better tone and volume.
    Sam

Now y'all tell me, after I ordered The Loar...

Well, we will see.

Blog Entries

Well you won't be the first or last one to make a possible mistake buying a low end mandolin. I had a KM140 as my second mandolin (I also had a Johnson all laminate oval hole mandolin that now is used by a friend). My KM 140 still sounded like a mandolin and when I had it set up (bought it drop shipped off e-bay) it played nicely and intonated at least up to the 12th fret (above that I was over my head).

Unless they are just BAD examples and have bad or falling apart components, the most important thing with these low end mandolins is a comfortable action and decent intonation. You could have done worse!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    The KM-140 does have a carved, solid top. It has laminated back and sides. It's not hand-carved, which you get in the more expensive Kentucky instruments, and the Loar does claim to be hand-carved, so that's an advantage.

Parenthetically, I wonder just how much "hand" carving there is in a $250 mandolin. Hand-finishing, perhaps, but I assume a computer-controlled machine does most of the work.
    Well, I'm not sure it's a mistake, lol. It's not an expensive one, anyway.

13. The following members say thank you to Erok for this post:

My first mandolin was a used Loar LM 220, it was a nice instrument although not in the same league as my second and third mandolins (I wanted better tone than my Loar, although I still have it-there's nothing wrong with it, and it plays well.) So if it's like my Loar, it will serve you well as a starter instrument.

its not to late to cancel, or just return it & buy a Kentucky km-150. its not a mistake yet that you can't fix's. an if you have to wait a little bit longer to get the extra money together it will be worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    its not to late to cancel, or just return it & buy a Kentucky km-150. its not a mistake yet that you can't fix's. an if you have to wait a little bit longer to get the extra money together it will be worth it in the long run.
    I'm happy with my choice.

I'm happy with my choice.
    Nice!
    Whatever you end up with, make sure you get it setup properly, or do the setup yourself.
    Contact Rob Meldrum for a copy of his ebook on mandolin setup. A great resource and learning tool. It will help you understand your mandolin much better too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Meldrum View Post
    Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and I will email you a copy for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

Rob

The Loar instruments are just fine, from what I've seen of them. Don't know about the 110, but my 220 is a good instrument with decent volume and sound that's comfortable to play. It did take a good setup, quite a bit of "opening up", and a long journey in finding "just the right" strings and picks to make it what it is, though.

The Loar came in today. Happy NMD to me! Honestly, I was surprised in a positive way. It's very nice for a $250 instrument. I got 10% off that, since Elderly is kindly offering a discount for new customers. The only flaws I can see are under the part of the neck that hangs over the bridge, but I guess that's to be expected for an instrument in this price range. Still, that's a point or two off. The satin finish is attractive, and the fret work is very good, if not excellent. I'll post pictures and a clip when I figure out the appropriate section of the forum.

One of the main reasons I picked The Loar over the Kentucky was that it has a lifetime warranty, where the Kentucky only has a year warranty. I like a manufacturer that stands behind it's products. Notice I didn't say "maker". Heh.

It's got fairly heavy strings compared to my Rogue, not sure if I'm crazy about those. I'll play them for a bit, though. I have a pack of Ernie Ball light strings I will install when I get up a bit of moto. Now to start saving up for my next MAS attack. And thanks for your opinions.

20. The following members say thank you to Erok for this post:

I'd take most Kentucky's, over any The Loar or Eastman of the same price range.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    I'd take most Kentucky's, over any The Loar or Eastman of the same price range.
    I'm aware that your's is the prevailing opinion.

I'm aware that your's is the prevailing opinion.
    Sorry. I didn't read all of the other posts. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. I wasn't aware of that warranty either. That is something to consider. Realistically, where the Eastman's, Kentucky's and The Loar's really separate from one another is in the really high end. Those Kentucky Master models are in a class by themselves. I've owned a couple of The Loar's and they are nice instruments. You made the right purchase for what you were looking for.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Sorry. I didn't read all of the other posts. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. I wasn't aware of that warranty either. That is something to consider. Realistically, where the Eastman's, Kentucky's and The Loar's really separate from one another is in the really high end. Those Kentucky Master models are in a class by themselves. I've owned a couple of The Loar's and they are nice instruments. You made the right purchase for what you were looking for.
    My next mandolin will be a higher end Kentucky.