Thread: Another Waverly Bushing Conversion Question

Default Another Waverly Bushing Conversion Question

Hey all - Sorry for asking something that has been discussed ad nauseam, however I cannot seem to find a direct answer to this question: Will the additional .010 inch of space in the inner diameter of my old Golden Age tuner bushings cause damage to the new Waverly string posts if I keep them in rather than switching to the supplied Waverly bushings when I switch them out? Everything else is a direct fit on these two Stew-Mac products (hole alignment, string post size). I guess there are a couple extra plate screws to add also - but not concerned there.

Basically I am wondering if that extra space will allow the post to bend under string pressure and damage them or cause issues with functioning properly. The difference is .25mm (.125mm extra between post and bushing on each side). I may also just use the Waverly bushings but I am concerned because the Golden Age outer diameter is .20mm larger. I am thinking the Waverly bushings would be loose. If the extra inner space is an issue I would build up the holes with CA and use the Waverly bushings.

P.S. - anyone done this same swap - Golden Age F to Waverly F?

Thanks!

Default Re: Another Waverly Bushing Conversion Question

Under string tension, the posts only touch the bushings at one point, so it really doesn't matter how big the hole in the bushing is (as long as it's big enough). It is more important where the tuner plates are mounted in relation to that point of contact. In other words, if the tuners are moved toward the nut by the amount of extra hole radius (not diameter), larger holes will result in the same function. In this case, move the tuner plates toward the nut .125mm.
    I have not done the specific swap you are doing, that I remember, but I've installed Waverly tuners in various bushing sets, and as long as spacing and alignment of the holes in the peghead are accurate, all works fine.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I dropped a set of Waverlys into some Golden Age bushings on my Duff F over 4 years ago and they continue to work perfectly with no problems that I've seen during that time.

FYI: I recently dropped some Rubners into a set of Schaller bushings on an F mandolin and they seem to be working perfectly also.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Thank you both! These are also going on a Duff F (#200). This is the best mandolin I've ever owned (i've had some good ones) and the GA tuners don't quite do it justice.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
    Thank you both! These are also going on a Duff F (#200). This is the best mandolin I've ever owned (i've had some good ones) and the GA tuners don't quite do it justice.
    Yep. I've got #178 and I felt exactly the same way.

(I actually asked Paul about whether I should change the bushings and he said "no need".)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Paul also told me the bushings are okay to leave, however I do like the idea of limiting the amount of distance that post can deflect (bend) before it contacts the bushing. However the biggest reason: the tuners are satin and the bushing are more bright silver. So mostly vanity😏
    Last edited by Tempotantrum; Nov-04-2017 at 9:08am. Reason: Typo