Thread: On Reverb: 1920s Leland Brilliantone (Larson Bros.) mandocello

Default On Reverb: 1920s Leland Brilliantone (Larson Bros.) mandocello

The top IMHO looks good, the back has an 'issue," but it's almost 100 years old.
    https://reverb.com/item/6776217-1920...ilian-rosewood

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	147 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	161986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	161987

Default Re: On Reverb: 1920s Leland Brilliantone (Larson Bros.) mandocell

I have walked down the street and played this numerous times.

At the moment, it is tuned a full step down from GDAE, so it is more like an octave mandolin. I was told that the owner would capo it and play it as GDAE. Owner has stated that it can easily be strung as mandocello, with some nut work.

I like it, and it does sound nice. But I couldn't justify buying what would essentially be an over sized octave. Still tempted though..
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Leonard For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks for posting this. I've only ever seen the side view of the Leland mandocello from the iconic photo reproduced in Keef Pleisjier's book on Washburn instruments and Bob Hartman's book on the Larsons. Surprised, actually, to see a round sound hole.

I own numerous "Leland" mandolins and enjoy their playability and especially their rich and balanced tone. Carlo Aonzo once (jokingly, I think) offered to swap me his Pandini for one.

I've long been skeptical of the Larson attribution for the Leland mandolins, which seem to me in many details (headstock, rear neck / headstock joint / bridge - top cant location, serial number system and location) to be Vega products. I feel the same way about this but don't want to start a ruckus.

I've been the codgery Larson Doubting Thomas around here too long. Looks like a muy cooliso instrument whoever made it. Wish I was closer to give it a spin. That is one big slab of rosewood.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I think the owner, or certainly a previous owner, has posted pictures of this mandocello on the forums. jdsobol. You can do a search for Leland Brilliantone and find several where he explains how he tuned this one up.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I can't see anything that would make me think that this is a Larson build. Everyone wants their old stuff to be Larson.

7. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Blog Entries

No financial interest on my part but the price seems reasonable to me? Those do not look like mandocello strings on it now and would worry about it holding up to the tension required for CGDA with a set of J78s on it? An octave mandolin with a 24.75" scale is not something I would want.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.