Thread: seeking ID on an unknown mandolin

Default seeking ID on an unknown mandolin

https://reverb.com/item/6836595-hand...in-aaaa-flamed

I have been looking closely at this instrument. I'd use it as a beater. The price is surely right for that purpose. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a mystery regarding its history and its wood that I'd like to solve before I pull the handle.

The seller tells me he has no idea who built this mandolin, or where it was made. I then asked him directly if it was made in Viet Nam, since his own name is Vietnamese. If it is, I probably won't buy it, because other Vietnamese instruments I've seen, too often warp and split in my temperate climate.

The seller does insist that the back plate is maple, although that doesn't look quite right to my eye. But I could be wrong. The mandolin's tailpiece may be the giveaway of its origin, since I've seen others just like it sold by the Vietnamese builder, AntonioTsai, on EBay.

Any opinions are much appreciated.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Default Re: seeking ID on an unknown mandolin

That thing looks sketchy as hell. I definitely wouldn't buy it without playing it first.

You have a BRW and an Altman. Why are you even looking at that thing? It's like you're Hugh Grant cruising for Divine Brown when you have Elizabeth Hurley at home.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PJ Doland For This Useful Post:

That tailpiece is common of the mandolins sold by the people selling Vietnamese mandolins on eBay. That's a lot of money for one of those.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

If not antoniotsai, it could be taisamlu, another builder in a similar vein, whose instruments are made in Taiwan.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yes I own some nice mandolins. But as I have made clear, I’m looking for a beater. Something to take on a car camping trip, and not be absolutely heartbroken if it gets stolen out of my tent.

And yes, I do agree with both of you. I think I’ll pass on it. That tailpiece is kind of a giveaway.

Reading the Hugh grant metaphor has made my post feel totally worthwhile. We need more of that on the cafe.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post:

I think all those instruments that ship from Taiwan are made in Vietnam. Bought one myself some years ago and it would look good on a wall but other wise it was trash. The instrument in this thread is one of those. They do wreck a lot of really nice pieces of wood making these things. Mine is rosewood with a spruce top and tons of inlay. I paid on a closing auction $60 and a little more than that for shipping. Too much !

The scroll looks very cheap import to me, it has been on Ebay for a while now. A Michael Kelly, Eastman, The Loar are all decent sounding mandolins for your purpose that won't break the bank and while I wouldn't like to get anything stolen, would be better than Your BRW or Altman. With a good setup they all sound quite nice.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I stumbled upon an Eastman 315 on clearance at a big box store for $429 that's my current beater, but I really like the thing. I take it camping, to work, the lake, the beach, etc, and it actually still looks pretty darn close to new. Maybe check the classifieds periodically to see if you can snag one cheaply? Or maybe the 515 blems TMS periodically sells?

Just a thought. If you can eschew the scroll, KM 150 is a great choice as well. Good luck, the search is part of the fun!!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    You have a BRW and an Altman. Why are you even looking at that thing? It's like you're Hugh Grant cruising for Divine Brown when you have Elizabeth Hurley at home.
    Quote of the year!!!

12. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Quote of the year!!!
    I recall that incident vividly. That was baffling.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

14. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post: