Thread: oakwood bouzouki??

Default oakwood bouzouki??

Looking at a good deal on a Oakwood OM although at 24" its really a zouk. Anybody here own or played Oakwoods

Blog Entries

Default Re: oakwood bouzouki??

I’ve got an Oakwood mandoloncello. Nothing too fancy but does the business well as long as I use heavy enough strings especially on the C&G.it could do with a deeper chamber.
    I sit next to a very nicely finished oakwood OM which has a well proportioned body & delivers very good tone & volume.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Played an Oakwood OM at a local folk festival last summer, and yes, it was absolutely delightful. I don’t think you will be dispappointed.

Robbie

I've just done some setup work on an '88 Oakwood OM - and other than finish wear it was in tip top condition even after all that time. Decent neck profile, very good tone. Not a "monster", but then monsters are hard to handle Much preferred it to a Fylde OM I did at the same time.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

FYlde OMs... and their too wide necks.. yes, John I'm with you on that mate. Not tried an Oakwood though
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I’ve played one briefly, lovely instrument, but at that time my frame of reference was a Thomannn/Hora so opposite end of the scale.

Niall O'Callanain here in Ireland plays an Oakwood Bouzouki. He swears by them. Good value for what you get I believe.

john

I played a bunch of their stuff at their tent at Sidmouth Festival some years ago. Very nice instruments made by very nice people.
    Steve

This one is from '86 but looks great. Very excited! Any owners got a video. Especially the 'cello

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I've just done some setup work on an '88 Oakwood OM - and other than finish wear it was in tip top condition even after all that time. Decent neck profile, very good tone. Not a "monster", but then monsters are hard to handle Much preferred it to a Fylde OM I did at the same time.
    yeah the monsters can be a challenge to record with and sing. i found an abnett which booms, explodes with sound, but too loud to sing and play with for recording. the oakwoods i played a few years ago in london, uk, were fine instruments for the new price so if you have a good used price i'd go for it.